Author Topic: Ron Artest for who??!!  (Read 7417 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ron Artest for who??!!
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008, 09:23:07 AM »
Get real people.  Adleman will play Artest at the 3 and Scola at the 4.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2008, 09:56:54 AM »
Get real people.  Adleman will play Artest at the 3 and Scola at the 4.

And put Battier (who is the better defender) on the bench?
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2008, 10:05:48 AM »
Yeah you got a point there.
Battier and 'Testy on the floor at the same time sometimes? 
Testy, Battier, Scoldawg and Landry rotating?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2008, 10:11:23 AM »

And then someone will be unhappy with limited minutes imo.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

jemagee

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2008, 10:14:19 AM »
Or the rockets aren't done :)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2008, 10:18:14 AM »

And then someone will be unhappy with limited minutes imo.
That's not always a bad thing.  Remember when Speedy Claxton was not happy with his minutes at point?  Some of if not the best backup point play in the Tim Duncar era.  If only he would have stayed. :'(

jemagee

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2008, 10:19:49 AM »
The hawks probably think the same thing about speedy claxton

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2008, 12:31:59 PM »
Did something happen while I was out?

Oh, yeah, the Kings got 2 #1 picks, a backup point guard, which they needed big time, and a MEEEEEELLION dollars - cash! And that is in TODAY's dollars, not last weeks.

Seriously, from going from losing Artest for nothing if he had opted out of his contract, to getting the above - and believe me, the Kings would have been happy if Ron HAD just left the Kings for nothing if he so choosed- that is not so bad. I know nothing of Greene except he lit up the summer league a bit, and Jackson's contract expires after next season.

Ron did very well working for Adelman for half a season after he was first traded, so I would not worry about how Rick uses him in his lineup and rotation. Artest is not much of a fundamental defender, but he has the quickest hands of anyone. I can't see him playing PF though, simply because he is only a generous 6'7" and that can't work in today's NBA. His strength is superior to any small forward playing today, though. No one ever matched Ron in that department.

The Kings are in a full-fledged youth movement now, but they do have an interesting young core to work with: Kevin Martin, Jason Thompson, Spencer Hawes, Francisco Garcia, and I would throw Quincy Douby in that mix as well, though he position is undefined. Donte Greene could be the next guy in that group, but, you know....rookies.   
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

jemagee

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2008, 12:35:11 PM »
Do you work for the Kings PR Department?

The Kings are still saddled with Kenny Thomas, which was supposedly a requirement for any team interested in getting artest, and the lakers flat out refused to include odom in an artest deal.

This is not a good deal for a player of artests basketball talent (only talking his basketball talent) who is on the last year of an under market deal...the kings aren't contenders next year so who cares if they got a back up point guard for when ben udrih demonstrates he's not an nba starting point guard.

Donta Green, a low first round pick and another low first round pick....that's what you get for ron artest.

That's bubkis :)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Re: Ron Artest for who??
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2008, 01:57:09 PM »
Do you work for the Kings PR Department?

The Kings are still saddled with Kenny Thomas, which was supposedly a requirement for any team interested in getting artest, and the lakers flat out refused to include odom in an artest deal.

This is not a good deal for a player of artests basketball talent (only talking his basketball talent) who is on the last year of an under market deal...the kings aren't contenders next year so who cares if they got a back up point guard for when ben udrih demonstrates he's not an nba starting point guard.

Donta Green, a low first round pick and another low first round pick....that's what you get for ron artest.

That's bubkis :)

Um......you DO understand what the issues are regarding Ron Artest, don't you? Basketball skills be damned, his resume is filled with frustrated franchises who spin it one way while he is with the team, but sigh a hugh pant of relief once he becomes someone elses problem.

Two #1's, a decent backup with an expiring contract and some cash. It may not sound like much to you, but from the team giving up Ron Artest, it is a steal. It is not a matter of IF he blows something up, it is WHEN.  Games he tells the coach twenty minutes before tipoff he is going to miss - arrests for domestic violence that keeps him out for a week - arrests for animal cruelty that keeps him preoccupied - minor injuries that he tells the team and media are no big deal, but then misses key games over and explains his absence by saying he TOLD you he was hurt, so what did you expect.

Not enough? He could have left this summer for nothing and Petrie would have been fine with it - better then fine. He got rid of a problem and has some more pieces to work around.

Parting note - the extended rumor has it that the deal can not be completed until August 14th, once Greene's contract is official. And the Kings are including their two second round picks in the deal, both of which the Rockets are expected to cut immediately - Seam Singletary and Patrick Ewing Jr.

You seem to think Petrie is finished his summer work? Why? Kenny Thomas could very well be traded yet as part of another deal. I have heard the Bulls have some interest in reacquiring Brad Miller. None of this will be of use to the Kings in the coming season, though, but the nucleus of the team is becoming very clear now. Even if the Kings end up keeping Thomas and Abdur-Rahim, who may or may not retire due to his bad knee, the team will be clear of the contracts in a year or so and lots of teams like those expiring contracts. 
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

jemagee

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2008, 02:00:11 PM »
yes, that's your opinion...but I grossly disagree with it, and i also disagree with the opinions that the rockets are now a serious contender in the west...

The NBA cares if ron artest is arrested (not convicted mind you, but arrested) for domestic violence?  It happens so often?  I mean this is the league that doesn't mind convcited sex offenders on rosters right?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2008, 02:00:35 PM »
So who comes off the bench - Battier or Artest?

IMO this doesn't address the Rockets biggest weakness: PG. 

Well, that and their stars staying healthy.   ;D

It doesn't really matter since they will be able to put an all-league defender on Kobe, and other big scoring threats at the 2/3, for 48 minutes a game.  :o
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Ron Artest for who??
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2008, 02:01:38 PM »
Um......you DO understand what the issues are regarding Ron Artest, don't you? Basketball skills be damned, his resume is filled with frustrated franchises who spin it one way while he is with the team, but sigh a hugh pant of relief once he becomes someone elses problem.

Two #1's, a decent backup with an expiring contract and some cash. It may not sound like much to you, but from the team giving up Ron Artest, it is a steal. It is not a matter of IF he blows something up, it is WHEN.  Games he tells the coach twenty minutes before tipoff he is going to miss - arrests for domestic violence that keeps him out for a week - arrests for animal cruelty that keeps him preoccupied - minor injuries that he tells the team and media are no big deal, but then misses key games over and explains his absence by saying he TOLD you he was hurt, so what did you expect.

Not enough? He could have left this summer for nothing and Petrie would have been fine with it - better then fine. He got rid of a problem and has some more pieces to work around.

Parting note - the extended rumor has it that the deal can not be completed until August 14th, once Greene's contract is official. And the Kings are including their two second round picks in the deal, both of which the Rockets are expected to cut immediately - Seam Singletary and Patrick Ewing Jr.

You seem to think Petrie is finished his summer work? Why? Kenny Thomas could very well be traded yet as part of another deal. I have heard the Bulls have some interest in reacquiring Brad Miller. None of this will be of use to the Kings in the coming season, though, but the nucleus of the team is becoming very clear now. Even if the Kings end up keeping Thomas and Abdur-Rahim, who may or may not retire due to his bad knee, the team will be clear of the contracts in a year or so and lots of teams like those expiring contracts. 

Don't forget that Artest might ask for a few games off so he can focus on his rap career.  ::)
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2008, 02:03:56 PM »
yes, that's your opinion...but I grossly disagree with it, and i also disagree with the opinions that the rockets are now a serious contender in the west...

How many arrests for domestic violence does ron artest have, and why does the nba caere THEY LET CONVICTED RAPISTS ON ROSTERS

Who are the CONVICTED rapist on an NBA roster?
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2008, 02:11:17 PM »
The Kings will lose $34 from their payroll after 2010 season.  That is what this is all about.  They will have a payroll of about $35 to $40 million and $15-$20 million to spend, with a decent young core.  I don't see this as a bad move, as it is quite obvious that Artest was not going to be resigned by Sacto, and they would have got nothing.  They pay Jackson less, get $1,000,000 in cash, and a couple of #1's.  The issue with Artest and why he hasn't been traded before is that the offers included salary for 2010 and beyond, and Petrie wants to preserve his cap space.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil