Author Topic: Artest to the Rockets  (Read 7698 times)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
Artest to the Rockets
« on: July 29, 2008, 08:37:20 PM »
...for Bobby Jackson, a 2009 first rounder and a PTBNL.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3510261

jemagee

Re: Artest to the Rockets
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 08:44:12 PM »
bwah hah ha ha ha ha

He's going to make Yao cry

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 08:51:16 PM »
Not sure why the second player has not been identified.  Matching salaries it could be Steve Novak, Mike Harris or Aaron Brooks.  Donte Green is also a match salary wise, but he can't be traded for 30 days after he signed.  That could be the reason for the hold-up or maybe the other guy just hasn't been notified yet.

Where does Ronny play in Houston?  Do you replce the ultimate glue guy in Battier with the ultimate corrosive guy?  Artest coming off the bench?  A pre-cursor to a McGrady or Battier trade?  I have nothing better to do than sit around and wonder about these things?

jemagee

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 08:52:43 PM »
Maybe they are going to try battier at the four and lose carl landry :)

Offline Sub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 09:02:12 PM »
I'd think Scola would warrant a shot at the four. Maybe Battier goes to the bench.

jemagee

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 09:33:19 PM »
Rumor floating that it's Donte Green as the PTBNL

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 10:18:28 PM »
ESPN is now saying that it is Greene as the other player. This seems like a weird trade unless the Rockets have something lined up to move McGrady or Battier. There were rumors going around before about McGrady going to Detroit. There have also been some Piston fans saying that they expect one of their big men to be moved since they now have two many with the addition of Kwame. Could we see a McGrady for Wallace deal coming soon?

Does this lineup do anything???
PG: Alston
SG: Artest
SF: Battier
PF: Wallace
C: Yao

It's a helluva defensive team. Then again, if McGrady was dealt for Sheed, then Detroit would have a logjam at the swing position.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 10:42:31 PM »
Greene, Jackson and a no. 1 for Artest.  Not a bad haul for a crazy guy. 

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 10:47:23 PM »

Jackson is an expiring.  I'd say that deal is as good as what the Griz got for Gasol and the Sixers got for AI.  Somewhat surprising they got back an expiring insted of a bad contract.

Offline The Poster

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 12:36:47 AM »
Just read in the Houston Chronicle that Sean Singletary and Patrick Ewing Jr will also be going to Houston but since the Rockets have too many players on the roster already they will be released, so is there any interest in one or both of these guys?

Or being a conspiratory fool maybe the Rockets and Sixers when they talked about Mac and Iggy (if they even did) talked about other players like W. Green and lord knows who on the Rockets a two for one? So the Rockets will trade some youngsters with upside for?

Just free lancing with...what Jem would call crazy ideas out of left field.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/chronicle/5914062.html
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 01:10:35 AM by The Poster »

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 07:58:07 AM »

Jackson is an expiring.  I'd say that deal is as good as what the Griz got for Gasol and the Sixers got for AI.  Somewhat surprising they got back an expiring insted of a bad contract.

It probably helped that Artest has a reasonable salary and is also an expiring.

Just read in the Houston Chronicle that Sean Singletary and Patrick Ewing Jr will also be going to Houston but since the Rockets have too many players on the roster already they will be released, so is there any interest in one or both of these guys?

Or being a conspiratory fool maybe the Rockets and Sixers when they talked about Mac and Iggy (if they even did) talked about other players like W. Green and lord knows who on the Rockets a two for one? So the Rockets will trade some youngsters with upside for?

Just free lancing with...what Jem would call crazy ideas out of left field.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/chronicle/5914062.html

Well there was talk of Steve Novak coming here from the Rockets due to their roster problems, but nothing has come of that so far.  Picking up either Singletary or Ewing for nothing would not be bad for us.  After Speights our secondary rookie prospects are nothing to get excited about, so either would be fine with me if the team likes them as end of the bench/D-league guys to rty and develop.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 08:44:03 AM »
According to John Hollinger, the plan for the Rockets is to play Artest at PF a majority of the time.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=artestdeal-080730

Artest is good but I don't know that he can last an entire season at the 4 in a conference that has big PFs like Duncan, Amare, Nowitzki, Gasol, West, amd Boozer.

Offline carolina blue

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 08:49:32 AM »
Houston could be interesting...

Could we see McGrady used as a primary ballhandler for stretches of a game?

PG -
SG - McGrady, Head
SF - Artest, Battier
PF - Scola, Landry
C - Yao

Artest could give them an edge that they've been missing...

jemagee

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 08:52:49 AM »
Unless of course they plan to play artest at PF per the post above you, and they lose scola, and yao doesn't say healthy and mcgrady does what mcgrady does, every season.

I think this will get the rockets past the first round, maybe, but that's it.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 09:54:39 PM »
More 'splaining and smooth talk by Ron-Ron:

Later in the PTI interview, Artest added: "I'm not just some knucklehead head case who's bipolar, [like] everybody is always saying. I'm Ron Artest. Everybody's different. That's why we've got different DNA ? They gotta come up with a better story than Ron's crazy. There's a lot better stories that they can come up with."

You know I could make several jokes here, but really wouldn't that be overkill?