Author Topic: The nicknames are Barons, Bison, Energy, Marshalls, Thunder and Wind ...  (Read 7578 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
There is no such word as pled, it has always been pleaded. If you are going to offer up an opinion such as this, get it right, or am I asking too much?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pled

Pled is an incorrect colloquialism, or bastardization, of the word, pleaded. I suppose because "ain't" is now in the dictionary, you think it is acceptable as well? I truly lament the state of education amongst our young people.

LOL LFD WTF WAS HE THINKING? IDK BUT YOU DONT SEEM TO BE BFFs
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
From the same page - i understand laker fans (and la sports fans in general) have a rather short attention span, but who knew it didn't even extend to an entire web page.

plead   Audio Help   /plid/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[pleed] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation verb, plead?ed or pled; plead?ing.
?verb (used without object) 1. to appeal or entreat earnestly: to plead for time. 
2. to use arguments or persuasions, as with a person, for or against something: She pleaded with him not to take the job. 
3. to afford an argument or appeal: His youth pleads for him. 
4. Law. a. to make any allegation or plea in an action at law. 
b. to put forward an answer on the part of a defendant to a legal declaration or charge. 
c. to address a court as an advocate. 
d. Obsolete. to prosecute a suit or action at law. 

?verb (used with object) 5. to allege or urge in defense, justification, or excuse: to plead ignorance. 
6. Law. a. to maintain (a cause) by argument before a court. 
b. to allege or set forth (something) formally in an action at law. 
c. to allege or cite in legal defense: to plead a statute of limitations. 

From the Merriam-Webster, a "real" dictionary:

The past tense is pleaded, pled, or plead (this last pronounced PLED), and the past participle, pleaded, pled, or plead (PLED). Pleaded, the regular weak verb form, is more frequent for both parts of speech, and the pled and plead past and past participle forms are labeled Colloquial by some dictionaries, Standard by others.

Seeing as "pled" did not appear in regular usage or speech until the latter half of the last century and is still unacceptable when spelled thus in British courts, the US Supreme court, as well as many others, I think I will stick with tradition. When "diss" becomes a word in regular usage, you know we are in trouble.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 05:10:53 PM by Laker Fan »
Dan

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
or...'pled' is just a shortened version of polymers, not that there is anything wrong with that.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

jemagee

The past tense is pleaded, pled, or plead (this last pronounced PLED),

my apologies for confusing the pronunctation and spelling, but it says right there in your quote that the past tense is pled.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
The past tense is pleaded, pled, or plead (this last pronounced PLED),

my apologies for confusing the pronunctation and spelling, but it says right there in your quote that the past tense is pled.

It is pronounced "PLED", or are you not listening?
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

jemagee

No, I'm reading, listening is something you do with your ears.

What i originally wrote was the word pled...not plead (pronounced as pled as i've been corrected) but my lament was more of the rise of the word pleaded (and irregardless) in the english language cause to me pleaded is something your pants are.

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Well, I don't-not think they will be calleded the OKC PLED either way....so IRregardless of this arguementation, it will have non say on thematall.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
I am screwed!  I can not find the word Internet nor Ethernet in a 100 year old dictionary!  My kids are really sad because iPod is not in there either!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
LOL LFD WTF WAS HE THINKING? IDK BUT YOU DONT SEEM TO BE BFFs

LMFAO! 

@TEOTD WGAFF?
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
How about Thunderwind? I knew this kid in high school with a similar nickname, but he, um, earned it for a different reason.
How about back wind cuz the team is going to stink forever.

You know why Oklahoma is so windy?  Cause Texas sucks.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
I am screwed!  I can not find the word Internet nor Ethernet in a 100 year old dictionary!  My kids are really sad because iPod is not in there either!

A truly narrow and incomplete overview WOW. "plead" has been around for hundreds of years in its English form, "pleaded" likewise, the colloquialism that is "pled" is a lazy derivation of the the past-tense "pleaded" and as such, is incorrect. "Internet", like "ethernet" is the compounding of 2 words to create a new meaning to describe an obviously new technology, in no way shape or form does this methodology for creating a new word apply to the lazy speech that gave rise to such words as "pled", your argument is moot. iPod is an acronym (I don't know of what) to describe a proprietary device, again, a word created to describe something that heretofore did not exist, hardly a comparable analogy.

Spare me your silly little sarcasm, and and allow me to venture back into my exile.
Dan

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
A truly narrow and incomplete overview WOW. "plead" has been around for hundreds of years in its English form, "pleaded" likewise, the colloquialism that is "pled" is a lazy derivation of the the past-tense "pleaded" and as such, is incorrect. "Internet", like "ethernet" is the compounding of 2 words to create a new meaning to describe an obviously new technology, in no way shape or form does this methodology for creating a new word apply to the lazy speech that gave rise to such words as "pled", your argument is moot. iPod is an acronym (I don't know of what) to describe a proprietary device, again, a word created to describe something that heretofore did not exist, hardly a comparable analogy.

Spare me your silly little sarcasm, and and allow me to venture back into my exile.

Jeeze! This thread was nothing but jokes......who fell asleep at the gates and let the old farts in?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anal_retentive
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"