Author Topic: The nicknames are Barons, Bison, Energy, Marshalls, Thunder and Wind ...  (Read 7588 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Maybe because the spelling with one "L" was already taken by someone else?

These things can be very simple.

Simple things are about the only things that can be handled by a Texan.  "Maybe" if your aunt had two ehem...eggs and a uhmmm.... roster, she would be your uncle.

All I am saying is the NBA was asked about the spelling and they did not respond.  To tip a cow or something, leave the "splaining" to the NBA.

That may be true about me IF I was born and raised in Texas.   But then complicating things and lack of reading comprehension seems to be a mainstay in those raised in Southern California in the past 25-30 years.  Most people who read a sentence stating with "MAYBE" understand that it is just a theory on the part of the writer.

Maybe the NBA didn't want to do any 'spaining because they didn't want to legitimize whoever tried to reserve the name "Marshals".  Maybe it could even be the US government who has the lock on "Marshals".  Maybe with the lack of true spelling and grammar education in the past 20 years there were just a bunch of idiots who wrote the trademark claims as well as the article.  Maybe Stern just wanted to generate web buzz for the NBA in the off season.  Maybe someone needs to go back on vacation as his "jokes" are getting stale again.

It took you an hour to come up with that?  I knew Texans' were slow but sheeeeeeesh!  Oh wait, I'm sure you were busy somewhere else thinking of billions of "maybe" scenarios. 

FYI: I am using the UK Billion not the US Billion, so the hour is understandabale.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Maybe because the spelling with one "L" was already taken by someone else?

These things can be very simple.

Simple things are about the only things that can be handled by a Texan.  "Maybe" if your aunt had two ehem...eggs and a uhmmm.... roster, she would be your uncle.

All I am saying is the NBA was asked about the spelling and they did not respond.  To tip a cow or something, leave the "splaining" to the NBA.

That may be true about me IF I was born and raised in Texas.   But then complicating things and lack of reading comprehension seems to be a mainstay in those raised in Southern California in the past 25-30 years.  Most people who read a sentence stating with "MAYBE" understand that it is just a theory on the part of the writer.

Maybe the NBA didn't want to do any 'spaining because they didn't want to legitimize whoever tried to reserve the name "Marshals".  Maybe it could even be the US government who has the lock on "Marshals".  Maybe with the lack of true spelling and grammar education in the past 20 years there were just a bunch of idiots who wrote the trademark claims as well as the article.  Maybe Stern just wanted to generate web buzz for the NBA in the off season.  Maybe someone needs to go back on vacation as his "jokes" are getting stale again.

It took you an hour to come up with that?  I knew Texans' were slow but sheeeeeeesh!  Oh wait, I'm sure you were busy somewhere else thinking of billions of "maybe" scenarios. 

FYI: I am using the UK Billion not the US Billion, so the hour is understandabale.

No it took about as long as it took it to type it after I read your post.  I have more important things to do with my day than sit around and monitor every time someone posts a reply in a thread.  So sometimes it takes a little longer to respond.

BTW I noticed it took you over 15 minutes to respond...is that because you asking for help from a non-Californian to comprehend my post?
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
No it took about as long as it took it to type it after I read your post.  I have more important things to do with my day than sit around and monitor every time someone posts a reply in a thread.  So sometimes it takes a little longer to respond.

BTW I noticed it took you over 15 minutes to respond...is that because you asking for help from a non-Californian to comprehend my post?

You guys use little words, Bushisms you could say, so there is no problem for anyone to comprehend those simple posts.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email

You guys use little words, Bushisms you could say, so there is no problem for anyone to comprehend those simple posts.

Your ridiculisness, perplexifies me..
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

jemagee

That's because you don't understand his strategery.

Strategery.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
That's because you don't understand his strategery.

Strategery.

If you are going to misspell a made-up word, misspell it CORRECTLY!!

It is STRATEGURGITATORILY
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

jemagee

Ah but it's spelled exactly as intended and spelled in the past

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Saturday_Night_Live

:D

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
How about Thunderwind? I knew this kid in high school with a similar nickname, but he, um, earned it for a different reason.

How about back wind cuz the team is going to stink forever.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
How about Thunderwind? I knew this kid in high school with a similar nickname, but he, um, earned it for a different reason.

No worries. The wind blows from the north so will just go into Texas, where that air quality is normal.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email

No worries. The wind blows from the north so will just go into Texas, where that air quality is normal.

All the blowhards in Dallas redirect it to the east so it doesn't contaminate the rest of the state.  It helps explain the people in Arkansas...
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
It may not be the correct spelling but it's a commonly used spelling it seems

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=marshall

In a country where irregardless and pleaded (what happened to pled?) have become part of the lexicon, i don't think the one or two L's, both of which are used, in marshal/marshall matters that much.

u no wut i meen?

There is no such word as pled, it has always been pleaded. If you are going to offer up an opinion such as this, get it right, or am I asking too much?

Marshal and Marshall are both correct spellings for different words.

Marshall is a proper name, usually a surname, such as General George Marshall, as well as the name of several US cities.

Marshal typically refers to a military or civil authority figure such as US Marshal Wyatt Earp, or, in the case of the military, Field Marshal Erwin Rommel. It can also refer to gathering or organizing a group of people, such a s soldiers i.e. "the general marshaled his forces for an impending attack", military music is called marshal music.

The OKC Marshals makes sense as it is a western town where marshals served as the chief law enforcement entity in the 1800's.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 04:47:40 PM by Laker Fan »
Dan

jemagee

There is no such word as pled, it has always been pleaded. If you are going to offer up an opinion such as this, get it right, or am I asking too much?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pled

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile

http://www.britannica.com/bps/search?query=pled#search=tab~TOPICS%2Cterm~pled

This is where your lame little link led me, as you can see, you are once again WRONG, , methinks in this arena, as well as the NBA one, you are quite unarmed, typical of one other Philly fan here, and no, I am not referring to Derek
Dan

jemagee

From the same page - i understand laker fans (and la sports fans in general) have a rather short attention span, but who knew it didn't even extend to an entire web page.

plead   Audio Help   /plid/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[pleed] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation verb, plead?ed or pled; plead?ing.
?verb (used without object) 1. to appeal or entreat earnestly: to plead for time. 
2. to use arguments or persuasions, as with a person, for or against something: She pleaded with him not to take the job. 
3. to afford an argument or appeal: His youth pleads for him. 
4. Law. a. to make any allegation or plea in an action at law. 
b. to put forward an answer on the part of a defendant to a legal declaration or charge. 
c. to address a court as an advocate. 
d. Obsolete. to prosecute a suit or action at law. 

?verb (used with object) 5. to allege or urge in defense, justification, or excuse: to plead ignorance. 
6. Law. a. to maintain (a cause) by argument before a court. 
b. to allege or set forth (something) formally in an action at law. 
c. to allege or cite in legal defense: to plead a statute of limitations. 

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile

Pled is an incorrect colloquialism, or bastardization, of the word, pleaded. I suppose because "ain't" is now in the dictionary, you think it is acceptable as well? I truly lament the state of education amongst our young people.
Dan