Author Topic: The nicknames are Barons, Bison, Energy, Marshalls, Thunder and Wind ...  (Read 7562 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
I think I like the "Barons" and "Wind"...the other names just do not sound right to me for NBA names...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/nba/07/25/okc.names.ap/index.html
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Well if Baron Davis goes to the Clippers then the name Barons can't be used.  That might confuse people!

Bison...not exactly a name you associate with an uptempo game like Basketball.

Energy...sounds like a WNBA team name.

Marshalls...sounds like a discount clothing er discount basketball team.

Thunder...not to be confused with the Tampa Bay Lightning of the NHL.

Wind...again sounds like a WNBA team.

These are all pretty horrible IMO.  Baron's are half way decent but if they try to tie the Red Baron in as a mascot, watch out.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Thunder.
With Thunderstruck by AC/DC as the home theme song.
Even tho the San Diego Chargers already use song that a lot.

I like "When the Lightnin Strikes" by Aerosmith for the Chargers better.

Okc Thunder or Lightning.

Offline shadowTerp

• View Profile
Marshalls sounds like a clothing store by itself, but "Oklahoma City Marshals" makes sense to me.  I like it.  Barons make sense too.

I know the Midwest gets severe storms, so any storm-related name makes sense... but I agree that "Wind" sounds like a WNBA team.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Marshalls sounds like a clothing store by itself, but "Oklahoma City Marshals" makes sense to me.  I like it.  Barons make sense too.

I know the Midwest gets severe storms, so any storm-related name makes sense... but I agree that "Wind" sounds like a WNBA team.

What is the deal with two L's in Marshalls?  They did not explain why the NBA decided to copywrite or register the name Marshalls with two L's.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email

What is the deal with two L's in Marshalls?  They did not explain why the NBA decided to copywrite or register the name Marshalls with two L's.

copied directly from cnn, so it it either writers error, or they really listed two L's in the word they want...
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile

copied directly from cnn, so it it either writers error, or they really listed two L's in the word they want...

The NBA wanted two L's but they did not explain why since it is not the correct spelling.  It was questioned in the story as well.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

jemagee

It may not be the correct spelling but it's a commonly used spelling it seems

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=marshall

In a country where irregardless and pleaded (what happened to pled?) have become part of the lexicon, i don't think the one or two L's, both of which are used, in marshal/marshall matters that much.

u no wut i meen?

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
How about Thunderwind? I knew this kid in high school with a similar nickname, but he, um, earned it for a different reason.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile

No it is not.  It is a common spelling for a name, the noun or verb is spelled with one L.  Again, the two L's were questioned but the NBA did not comment on why they chose an incorrect spelling of the word "marshal".  Is there some famous person named Marshall in the area?
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email

No it is not.  It is a common spelling for a name, the noun or verb is spelled with one L.  Again, the two L's were questioned but the NBA did not comment on why they chose an incorrect spelling of the word "marshal".  Is there some famous person named Marshall in the area?

Maybe because the spelling with one "L" was already taken by someone else?

These things can be very simple.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

jemagee

This must be it

Marshall is a rural town in Logan County, Oklahoma, United States, and a part of the Oklahoma City Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 258 at the 2000 census.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile

Simple things are about the only things that can be handled by a Texan.  "Maybe" if your aunt had two ehem...eggs and a uhmmm.... roster, she would be your uncle.

All I am saying is the NBA was asked about the spelling and they did not respond.  To tip a cow or something, leave the "splaining" to the NBA.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email

Simple things are about the only things that can be handled by a Texan.  "Maybe" if your aunt had two ehem...eggs and a uhmmm.... roster, she would be your uncle.

All I am saying is the NBA was asked about the spelling and they did not respond.  To tip a cow or something, leave the "splaining" to the NBA.

"Maybe" they can resolve this issue by nicknaming the team the Prairee Dogs - with the French spelling.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email

That may be true about me IF I was born and raised in Texas.   But then complicating things and lack of reading comprehension seems to be a mainstay in those raised in Southern California in the past 25-30 years.  Most people who read a sentence stating with "MAYBE" understand that it is just a theory on the part of the writer.

Maybe the NBA didn't want to do any 'spaining because they didn't want to legitimize whoever tried to reserve the name "Marshals".  Maybe it could even be the US government who has the lock on "Marshals".  Maybe with the lack of true spelling and grammar education in the past 20 years there were just a bunch of idiots who wrote the trademark claims as well as the article.  Maybe Stern just wanted to generate web buzz for the NBA in the off season.  Maybe someone needs to go back on vacation as his "jokes" are getting stale again.

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues