Author Topic: OT - Does it Count?  (Read 5508 times)

jemagee

OT - Does it Count?
« on: July 28, 2008, 08:56:06 AM »
So technically the city of philadelphia when a champiionship yesterday in arena football (and almost gave it away)

Does it 'count' in terms of the citys 25 year drought?

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: OT - Does it Count?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 09:17:17 AM »
No, it doesn't.  If the Phantoms chip doesn't count then this one doesn't count.... although I am happy for the Soul. 

jemagee

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 09:19:38 AM »
No, it doesn't.  If the Phantoms chip doesn't count then this one doesn't count.... although I am happy for the Soul. 

Well in the sou's 'defense' isn't the phantoms a minor league team whereas the AFL is a 'professional' sports league

Offline sixers hoops

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 09:36:43 AM »

Well in the sou's 'defense' isn't the phantoms a minor league team whereas the AFL is a 'professional' sports league

Yeah, but we have won professional lacrosse, soccer, etc in that time period. Unless, it is in one of the four major sports being played at the highest level, which the Arena League is not, it really isn't satisfying.

In reality, I don't even watch the Soul, so it did nothing for me, and I doubt it relieves the frustration of the rest of the city.

jemagee

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 09:46:05 AM »
Besides, all those manny to philly rumors cna fire up now and the soul can be ignored

Offline Stanford

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 10:02:22 AM »
Haha, didn't you guys have to watch a bon jovi concert or something? You've got five more years of drought before you even reach the level of suffering a bon jovi concert would entail.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 10:19:00 AM »
I was happy to see the Soul win the championship but it doesn't count. I put this on the same level as the Philadelphia Wings winning a championship which they did in 1989, 1990, 1994, 1995, 1998, and 2001.

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is there to see it, does it make a noise? The answer is "no".

Offline Sub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 11:30:31 AM »
Bon Jovi is the worst. His/Its' only place is filed under "Alaskan Crab Fishing Show Theme Song."

jemagee

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 11:34:15 AM »
That may be over stating the case especially with the state of todays garbage music

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 01:02:05 PM »
That may be over stating the case especially with the state of todays garbage music

I'm a HUGE music fan and I've done an experiment for the past week... I've listened to the radio. I spent all of my traveling time (around 11 hours or so) flipping back and forth between the two major rock stations in Philly (WMMR and WYSP) and here's what I discovered.... THERE IS NO NEW ROCK MUSIC! In my travels, I heard 4 songs... count them FOUR that I didn't already know by heart and that are new.

My 16 year old nephew brought this to my attention a few weeks back at a BBQ when he and his buddies were over and all of them had on old rock band shirts (AC/DC, Nirvana, NIN, Led Zeppelin). I asked them for the names of some bands that are popular and while they named one or two that are newer... most of the bands are 10+ years old (Disturbed and Slipknot are HUGE with the kids today). I took a weekend trip to the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame two weeks ago and developed the theory that there aren't any bands today that are scaring the parents hence rock is damn near dead. Most of today's younger parents grew up with Nirvana, KoRn, and Marilyn Manson... so there isn't much that will shock us anymore. Rock music has always been about shock as much as it's been about rock and apparently we're nearing the end of the line.

jemagee

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 01:07:18 PM »
THERE IS NO NEW ROCK MUSIC!

Not true, there is no POPULAR new rock music that gets played on radio stations, doesn't mean there isn't any new rock music, it just means it's not being pressed onto radio stations by recor companies :)

I actually like distrubed thugh, their cover of land of confusions is quite impressive.

Hall of Fame two weeks ago and developed the theory that there aren't any bands today that are scaring the parents hence rock is damn near dead

russia is considering banning emo music, cause it's bad for teenagers...

Music is evolving constantly but there is new rock music :)

Offline Sub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 01:09:06 PM »
There is new "rock" music. It's just not found on mainstream, metropolitan-area radio.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 01:11:32 PM »
You're right... there is new rock music but I should have said there isn't new POPULAR rock music that is being gobbled up by the masses.

I don't have any problems with Disturbed and I even like their new album but it is odd that they are now the kings of the hardcore scene with teenagers now. Who knew Jewish Rockers would take over the world??

Offline Sub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 01:13:14 PM »
I've lived and worked in NYC and Philly, and the best "rock" station I've heard in the past ten years is 106.3 here in the middle of Jersey.

Offline Sub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 01:14:15 PM »
Who knew Jewish Rockers would take over the world??

You mean like the Beastie Boys?