Author Topic: Biedrins signs - 6 yrs/$63 million  (Read 5863 times)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
Biedrins signs - 6 yrs/$63 million
« on: July 27, 2008, 07:26:34 PM »
With an opt out after 5 years when he will still be only 27. 

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3507385

The market, for better or worse, is starting to sort itself out.

Offline The Poster

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Biedrins signs - 6 yrs/$63 million
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 07:35:56 PM »
So what does this bode for Iggy?

I would think it means he is going to get more than the 57 offer from last year.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 08:23:36 PM »
The Poster:

Why does this signing suggest that Iggy will do better than 5/57?

Both Ellis and Biedrins signed SIX year deals.  Both deals average over $1 million less per year than the offer Iguodala got last year.

So...Iguodala's deal from last year is 1) shorter, and 2) for more money per year than Iguodala's deal.

In comparison to those deals, 5/57 looks pretty damn good to me.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 08:24:16 PM »
The Biedrins signing doesn't impact Iggy all that much but let me say this... I feel about the Biedrins' signing the same way I felt about the Dalembert signing back in the day. It won't be long until that contract is looked at as a terrible deal but like Dalembert, he can certainly improve enough to justify the cash.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 08:39:22 PM »
Assuming normal raises, Biedins will make lss than 9M this year.  That looks about right for a promising big who has a ceiling on his game since he can't shoot FT's or jumpers.

So GS will be paying Ellis and Biedrins just shy of 18M this year.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 09:59:33 PM »
The Biedrins signing doesn't impact Iggy all that much but let me say this... I feel about the Biedrins' signing the same way I felt about the Dalembert signing back in the day. It won't be long until that contract is looked at as a terrible deal but like Dalembert, he can certainly improve enough to justify the cash.

If Dalembert understood his limitations better and worked more diligently at doing those things he can do even better, he would be Tyson Chandler or very close to it.  Biedrins certainly has some areas to improve on, but he is 22, very productive without really any plays being run for him and seems to have a much better feel for basketball and his own game in general than Sammy does.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 10:55:46 PM »
Biedrins is a potentially good player, but he does not have a very high ceiling.  He lacks the size to be a dominant defender, and lacks the post moves and shooting to be a dominant scorer. 

I can see him improving his post moves, but his horrible FT and jump shooting suggest he will never be an effective scorer outside of 8 feet.

What he does and his age justifies his contract- I just don't ever see him being a all star big.

jemagee

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 08:44:54 AM »
When do we expect Sam will improve enough to justify the cash?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 09:04:20 AM »
When do we expect Sam will improve enough to justify the cash?

2012, it will happen in early December and be a harbinger of the end of days.  Dalembert is the Mayan version of Gozer the Gozerian.

jemagee

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 09:08:07 AM »
So if Sam asks me if i'm a go

I

SAY

YES

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 10:30:11 AM »
LOL! I suspect that similar threads will be written about Biedrins in 3 years time. Young, athletic big man with a lot of upside if he can just put it all together who has a huge contract.... haven't we seen this story before? :-)

Either way, I have to give Mullin some props. The Maggette contract was a bit much but the numbers for Ellis and Biedrins seem to have come in right where many thought they should be. This summer started out pretty rough for GSW with Davis leaving but he's managed to keep he two big RFAs while also signing away Turiaf and matching a deal for Azubuike.

Not that the summer league is an indication of anything but Anthony Randolph was a stud in the Summer League while the undrafted Anthony Morrow won the MVP for the Rocky Mountain League. Things could be worse in Golden State.

jemagee

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 10:31:13 AM »
Go ahead, give mulling props, i think mulling buckled and over paid everyone including probabliy turiaf :)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 10:38:52 AM »
He had to overpay Turiaf in order to get him away from the Lakers. I said above that I thought he overpaid Maggette but the contracts for Ellis and Biedrins so seem about right although I don't love either player. With Mullin handing out the deals, I sort of expected Ellis and Biedrins to just be maxed out.

jemagee

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 10:39:42 AM »
And like I said, I think he over paid everyone...that includes ellis and biedrins.

Paxson may be dumb but at least he's not overpaying his RFAs (yet)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 10:44:41 AM »
You're right... Paxson doesn't overpay his RFAs because he just trades them away from 10 cents on a dollar. John Paxson has to be in the bottom 5 of GMs in the league right now. How bad is he? His owner won't even allow him to negotiate with Luol Deng at this point. Paxson got lucky by hitting the lottery this year but given the way things have gone in the past, I wouldn't be all that shocked if we see Beasley clearly become the best player from this draft.