Author Topic: Kwame coming back to Lakers?  (Read 8692 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Kwame coming back to Lakers?
« on: July 26, 2008, 10:36:13 AM »
Faced with a ?weird? situation with center Andrew Bynum, the Los Angeles Lakers are toying with the thought of bringing back Kwame Brown, a free agent.

No, this is not a joke.

Yes, this is the same Kwame Brown who rode out of town to a chorus of fan boos in a trade last February that brought Pau Gasol to the franchise. Brown is the former No. 1 overall pick that many consider the biggest bust in league history. Why would the Lakers want him back?

Think about it.

The Lakers made it to the NBA Finals last season and found themselves in a collection of dire mismatches with Boston. For starters, Los Angeles had no one to contend with Celtics center Kendrick Perkins? size and strength. ?They could have used Kwame in the Finals,? said one Lakers insider.

Tex Winter, the longtime coach and team consultant, was in Las Vegas to evaluate the Lakers? summer league team. Winter said he is totally out of the loop on personnel decisions with the team and hadn?t heard of the Kwame deliberation, but Winter said it makes sense, especially for Lakers coach Phil Jackson. ?Phil has always liked Kwame,? Winter said. ?Phil?s always felt that defensively he?s pretty good.?

If he?s cheap enough as a free agent, Brown could serve as an insurance policy for Los Angeles. Brown also has experience running the triangle offense, a plus. He could be important following the loss of restricted free agent backup center Ronny Turiaf, who signed a fat deal with Golden State recently. The coaching staff loved Turiaf and hated to see him go, but his loss is just one of a series of extremely tough decisions the Lakers face in the offseason.

Another tough situation is the team?s relationship with injured center Andrew Bynum, who has long been a pawn in the internal battle between the children of Lakers owner Jerry Buss, who are competing for daddy?s love and control of the franchise.

There was a time last summer when the tension between Jim Buss who ?oversees? basketball operations and Jeanie Buss who runs the team?s marketing management seemed like it would erupt into open warfare.

Long known as a party guy who doesn?t even come into the Lakers offices on a regular basis, Jim Buss was viewed by the Jeanie Buss faction as the villain who fired Jackson in 2004, traded Shaquille O'Neal and hired ill-fated coach Rudy Tomjanovich. The messy series of events cost the team millions when Tomjanovich stepped down after coaching only a handful of games. Jackson, of course, is Jeanie Buss? longtime boyfriend who was rehired in 2005 after the magnitude of Jim Buss? blunder became apparent.

Since Jackson?s return, it has been the mission of Jeanie Buss to try to control and limit the ineptness of her brother, a nice guy who is said to keep his bartender on the Lakers payroll. Jim Buss, however, is the person in the organization who insisted on drafting Andrew Bynum in 2005 when the front office leaned heavily toward Sean May. That one pick has worked out so far, which is the one thing that Jim Buss clings to as evidence of his competence.

Yet the Jeanie faction in the Lakers organization stays awake at night worrying about what Jim might do or say next.

It wasn?t too long ago, for example, that Jim Buss told Bynum that Jackson wasn?t really very good at coaching big men, so Jim told the 19-year-old center that he should find his own coaching. When she learned of the comment, sister Jeanie supposedly said, ?Jim, I don?t think you should say crazy things like that. They could have disastrous results.?

Sure enough, the Lakers coaching staff was hit with a bombshell in the summer of 07 when Bynum announced he was not playing with the Lakers? summer league team but would instead work with his own coach and trainer in Atlanta.

Bynum knows he is the pet pawn of Jim Buss and has used that status to stay apart from the team in many regards. In fact, his relationship with the team is ?weird,? according to another Laker insider, and a legacy of Jim Buss? lack of understanding of the concepts of basketball.

This has come to have frustrating and perhaps disastrous results once the talented young center injured his knee in February. Rather than trust the team doctors, Bynum pursued his own medical advice on how to deal with the surgery and recovery from the damage to the medial collateral ligament.

Supposedly, team doctors wanted Bynum to ?suture? the knee, reportedly a standard practice after MCL surgery. However, Bynum?s personal doctor opposed it. When Bynum?s recovery ran into trouble, he turned to a second doctor who reportedly also opposed suturing. Again, the knee remained slow to heal.

Now Bynum looms as a huge question mark for the team heading into training camp. Will he be ready to go?

Laker GM Mitch Kupchak announced vaguely recently that Bynum would be ready for training camp. But Kupchak didn?t make it clear if team doctors had been able to see and clear the center for participation. ?Jim Buss created this situation by saying to him, ?Go get your own guys,?? said the Laker insider close to Jeanie Buss. Jackson has patiently put up with the situation. ?What other choice does he have?? explained the insider.

Other conflicts loom as well. Owner Jerry Buss ?is not sold? on young point guard Jordan Farmar while Jackson very much likes Farmar?s play.

Then there?s Jackson?s fascination with Sacramento forward Ron Artest. Would the Lakers trade Lamar Odom to get him? Jeanie Buss supposedly insists that Odom is safe, but the Busses are moving through another summer of discontent, looking for an answer.

Who knows? Maybe Kwame will provide a voice of reason, or at least a little front court muscle.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kwame coming back to Lakers?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 12:30:40 PM »
Joe Vancil
Pau Gasol, for Kwame Brown's expiring contract, Javaris Crittendon, a couple of draft picks, and a prospect.

Nah.  Something like that could never happen.
Now Kwamster back to the Lakers for minimal.
Got to love it, huh Joe?

Those kooks and their collusion stories.  ;)

jemagee

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 01:27:57 PM »
Cheap ownership and an inexperienced GM aren't the same as collusion...then again, it is you bringing it up

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 03:32:58 PM »
Go kiss a Laker ass.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 08:19:11 PM »
Jeeze, had no idea there was so much drama in the front office.  I miss Jerry West, no wonder he left.  How many people are going to get blamed for trading Shaq?  First Kobe then Jerry Buss now it's Jim Buss.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 11:20:34 PM »
Jeeze, had no idea there was so much drama in the front office.  I miss Jerry West, no wonder he left.  How many people are going to get blamed for trading Shaq?  First Kobe then Jerry Buss now it's Jim Buss.

This is why Kobe was pissed about the Shaq issue.  He knew it was all about the Buss family yet they kindly let him take the heat for it.

Jem, you probably haven't realized this yet since it's not basketball season anymore but if anyone wants to put their lips on any Laker parts its Reality.  Don't mind him.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 09:23:23 AM »
Hey - I'm all *FOR* Kwame Brown going back to the Lakers.  Fisher isn't long for the league, and once Gasol gets jettisoned for being too soft, and they dump Vujacic and Farmar off, it'll be easy to cheer against the Lakers again, especially now that Turiaf is gone.

Dump Turiaf, get Brown.  Way to build a winner there, guys.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 04:18:40 PM »
Hey - I'm all *FOR* Kwame Brown going back to the Lakers.  Fisher isn't long for the league, and once Gasol gets jettisoned for being too soft, and they dump Vujacic and Farmar off, it'll be easy to cheer against the Lakers again, especially now that Turiaf is gone.

Dump Turiaf, get Brown.  Way to build a winner there, guys.

They didn't dump Turiaf.  He was offered more money and the Lakers, since they do have a lot of players that need to get paid before Turiaf, could not match.  Kwame will most likely get a cheapo contract at a 1.5 mill.

I dont want to see him back period, I HATE him lol
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 08:50:17 AM »
The BUSS children are almost as bad as the steinbrenner children, LA Media just doesn't care as much (and has more celebreties to worry about)

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 12:07:03 PM »
I hadn't heard this story, of course I'm not following the media as closely these days in the off season. 

Ziggy, where is that article from?  It sounds like it's written more for "Entertainment Tonight" type tabloid journalism, rather than a factual, legit story. 

Anyway, as horrible as Kwame is on offense, he is a very good one on one defender.  If he's an insurance policy who is seated waaay at the end of the bench AND the Lakers can pay him the minimum, I think it's a fine move.  He can certainly contribute more the Mihm at this point. 

That said, I won't believe this story until it's reported on the AP wire. 

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 08:23:13 PM »
Kwame's off the market:

Agent: Grizzlies forward Brown agrees to two-year deal with Pistons
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
Updated: July 28, 2008, 7:36 PM ET

Kwame Brown is headed back to the Eastern Conference.

Brown's agent, Mark Bartlestein, told ESPN.com on Monday night that the former No. 1 pick in the 2001 draft has reached a verbal agreement on a new contract with the Detroit Pistons.

The contract is believed to be a two-year deal worth $8 million, with Brown -- who spent his first four seasons as a pro in Washington after being drafted by then-Wizards president Michael Jordan -- holding a player option to return to free agency after this season.

Brown earned nearly $9.1 million last season in the final year of his previous three-year deal, which the 26-year-old received in the summer of 2005 in a sign-and-trade from Washington to the Los Angeles Lakers. Brown's expiring salary was the chief chip that the Lakers used to convince the Memphis Grizzlies to send Pau Gasol to L.A. on Feb. 1 in a trade that earned the Grizzlies widespread criticism.

Brown played in only 15 games with the Grizzlies after the trade, averaging just 3.5 points and 3.8 rebounds in under 14 minutes per game.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

jemagee

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 08:25:06 PM »
Well Dumars said he was shaking things up.

Offline shadowTerp

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 07:57:45 AM »

This must be a prelude to something... the Pistons already have a decently deep frontcourt w/ McDyess, Wallace, Maxiel and Johnson.  If you want Johnson to get more minutes, why did you just add Kwame?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 08:30:46 AM »

This must be a prelude to something... the Pistons already have a decently deep frontcourt w/ McDyess, Wallace, Maxiel and Johnson.  If you want Johnson to get more minutes, why did you just add Kwame?

IMO it's because Wallace is on his way out.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 11:02:36 AM »
You know, who cares about where Kwame Brown is going? The guy is a loser and will be until he is out of the League, so why even talk about him?

This other issue, though, about Andrew Bynum. Now THAT is fascinating. What is going on down in LaLa land now? This is the first I even HEARD that Jerry has a little Jimmy gumming up the works.

Jackson should just forget he is on the team, IMO. What good is he if he doesn't conform to the rest of the team? That type of nonsense is what brings teams down and who needs that.

Also, I figured it was Jackson pushing the envelope to acquire Artest. Ron-Ron is exactly the type of player Jackson loves to have on his teams - the 'missing link' to championships. A real pain in the ass player who takes the heat and dishes it out. Perfect. 
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."