Author Topic: Paul Pierce weighs in on GNob, Kobster  (Read 5168 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Paul Pierce weighs in on GNob, Kobster
« on: July 24, 2008, 09:43:19 AM »
Do you think Ginobili is one of the great players in the NBA?

"I would sign Ginobili. He is the best foreign player in the history of the NBA."

Is Kobe Bryant the best player nowadays?

"I don't think Kobe is the best, I am the best. There is a line that separates being presumptuous and self confidence. I do not cross that line but i a big deal of self confidence."
http://www.marca.com/charlas/pierce/24072008.html
SpursXs3, maybe you can put that Spanish language to good use and verify the accuracy.
Muchos gracias.

jemagee

Re: Paul Pierce weighs in on GNob, Kobster
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 09:52:01 AM »
Hey Paul, now that KG carried you to the finals and a ring you got an awfully big mouth.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 09:55:06 AM »
Does anyone other then Paul Pierce think he is better then Kobe Bryant?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 09:56:48 AM »
Does anyone other then Paul Pierce think he is better then Kobe Bryant?

Pierces momma, daddy, wife and kids?

Or at least the momma wife and kids.

Besides, it's more fun to read about internal strife in lakerland cause the buss children are all morons

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 11:37:21 AM »
Do you think Ginobili is one of the great players in the NBA?

"I would sign Ginobili. He is the best foreign player in the history of the NBA."

Is Kobe Bryant the best player nowadays?

"I don't think Kobe is the best, I am the best. There is a line that separates being presumptuous and self confidence. I do not cross that line but i a big deal of self confidence."
http://www.marca.com/charlas/pierce/24072008.html
SpursXs3, maybe you can put that Spanish language to good use and verify the accuracy.
Muchos gracias.

What he said about Manu is 100 percent correct!!   ;) ;) ;)

As for Kobe, Paul has a better cast around himself.  Kobe just got Gasol last year, if he had another quality player to make a REAL 'big three' I think the Lakers would have easily won the title.  Paul had more quality help then Kobe did, considering they were scrubs before the trade I would have to say Paul is very wrong in that statement.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

jemagee

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 11:40:03 AM »
Paul Pierce doesn't take over games, nor have I hever seen the force of will that kobe demonstrates, i mean yeah they were bad, but if paul pierce where as good as he thinks he is the celtics wouldn't have been the worst team in the NBA 2 seasons ago, especially in a weak eastern conference...

As for best foreign player in the history of the nba, he's wrong on that as well.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 11:50:58 AM »
Paul Pierce doesn't take over games, nor have I hever seen the force of will that kobe demonstrates, i mean yeah they were bad, but if paul pierce where as good as he thinks he is the celtics wouldn't have been the worst team in the NBA 2 seasons ago, especially in a weak eastern conference...

As for best foreign player in the history of the nba, he's wrong on that as well.

Who do you think is a better Euro player?  I'm not asking you sarcastically either.  I am just curious.  I can't really think of a Euro player who can score, shoot, and defend as well as Manu can.  Though I am sort of drawing a blank on quality Euro players outside of Vlade Divac, Sabonis, and Schrempf who had success in the NBA.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 11:53:28 AM »
All depends on how you want to interpret what Pierce said, and he didn't say currently he said history.

Some guys come to the league later but were better players overall in their primes than manu in his prime - like sabonis

And I prefer Dirk to Manu as far as current nba players.

I wouldn't be surprised if paul pierces version of nba history in regards to euros stretches no farther back than the ones he's played against

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 01:09:41 PM »
All depends on how you want to interpret what Pierce said, and he didn't say currently he said history.

Some guys come to the league later but were better players overall in their primes than manu in his prime - like sabonis

And I prefer Dirk to Manu as far as current nba players.

I wouldn't be surprised if paul pierces version of nba history in regards to euros stretches no farther back than the ones he's played against

what other player has the stat manu has? euro mvp, olympic champ, nba champ, didn't he win euro title as well?  what other player has that?!
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

jemagee

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 01:44:46 PM »
what other player has the stat manu has? euro mvp, olympic champ, nba champ, didn't he win euro title as well?  what other player has that?!

Please tell me you aren't serious about using things like MVP awards to matter?

Did he win those titles all by himself?  Was he surrounded by a better supporting cast than a guy like Nowitzki?  Additionally, Sabonis was one of the best players in the world in his prime but not in the NBA...i understand that for most people history is a rather short period of time, but come on...

jemagee

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 01:47:27 PM »
BTW - Steve Nash is a foreign basketball player...are we saying he's better than Manu Ginobli?

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 02:04:19 PM »

Please tell me you aren't serious about using things like MVP awards to matter?

Did he win those titles all by himself?  Was he surrounded by a better supporting cast than a guy like Nowitzki?  Additionally, Sabonis was one of the best players in the world in his prime but not in the NBA...i understand that for most people history is a rather short period of time, but come on...

So you are saying being an mvp does not matter?  how much on his resume would he need to be considered great.  No offense, while Nash is damn good, does he have 1 title to back him up?  same goes for Paul - without  the title would he even think of talking about Kobe this way??  Dirk has 1 MVP in the NBA and a "soft as a cupcake" reputation, he is a great shooter, but Manu beats his Arse in heart and determination hands down.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 02:09:26 PM »
BTW - Steve Nash is a foreign basketball player...are we saying he's better than Manu Ginobli?
No.  

As to 2003-2007s real MVP, Tim Dunkar, looks like coach Poppycock has ensured that torch is passed. Real MVP now is Lebron.

Concur that Kobster still has a slight edge over Pierce.  Kobster kept LA all the way up to the .500 mark from 2005-2007 while as mentioned Pierces Celts without KG and Allen could barely muster .333 in the lame East.

jemagee

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 02:21:57 PM »
So you are saying being an mvp does not matter?  how much on his resume would he need to be considered great.  No offense, while Nash is damn good, does he have 1 title to back him up?  same goes for Paul - without  the title would he even think of talking about Kobe this way??  Dirk has 1 MVP in the NBA and a "soft as a cupcake" reputation, he is a great shooter, but Manu beats his Arse in heart and determination hands down.

Things like reuptation and awards aren't always based on merit or the most deserving, in any sport...prime example, look at golden gloves in baseball...supposedly a 'fielding' award, but bobby abreu has one, which is nonsensical cause he's pretty bad in the field.

Awards voted on by sportswriters have as much use in a discussion of who is a better performer on the court as paris hilton has use participating in a presidential debate.

I'm not impressed with indvidiaulistic awards given to players as some sort of demonstration of their greatness...same goes for a 'reputation'....i'm a philadelphia sports fan, i know how reputations can be rightly or wrongly perpetuated, again by the useless media.

I'm saying that whether or not one has won an MVP award doesn't weight one way or another in the overall EVALUATION of their game.

And even if you want to use MVP - sorry but i personally find the overall level of basketball in the NBA more impressive than the overall level of basketball in other leagues or country tournaments.

So if i were to consider MVP as a factor, for instance, steve nash has TWO NBA MVPs, Manu Ginobli has zero (and his sixth man award is bogus in my opinion since he plays starters minutes)...hence, Steve Nash leads the MVP debate in the league that i think matters especially since paul pierce was referring to the NBA.

The fact is that paul pierce (and many others probably) probably don't consider steve nash a foreign player, but canada isn't the united states, so i consider it a foreign country and hence nash is a foreign born player.

Just the way I look at things, but being a fan of baseball i'm used to seeing 'award based' travestys quite often...hell i'm used to seeing nonsense spouted like "Steve Nash shouldn't win 3 MVPs ina  row because he's not as good as jordan or anyone else who won 3 MVPs in a row" which to me is just an asinine and ridiculous rationale

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 02:28:41 PM »

Things like reuptation and awards aren't always based on merit or the most deserving, in any sport...prime example, look at golden gloves in baseball...supposedly a 'fielding' award, but bobby abreu has one, which is nonsensical cause he's pretty bad in the field.

Awards voted on by sportswriters have as much use in a discussion of who is a better performer on the court as paris hilton has use participating in a presidential debate.

I'm not impressed with indvidiaulistic awards given to players as some sort of demonstration of their greatness...same goes for a 'reputation'....i'm a philadelphia sports fan, i know how reputations can be rightly or wrongly perpetuated, again by the useless media.

I'm saying that whether or not one has won an MVP award doesn't weight one way or another in the overall EVALUATION of their game.

And even if you want to use MVP - sorry but i personally find the overall level of basketball in the NBA more impressive than the overall level of basketball in other leagues or country tournaments.

So if i were to consider MVP as a factor, for instance, steve nash has TWO NBA MVPs, Manu Ginobli has zero (and his sixth man award is bogus in my opinion since he plays starters minutes)...hence, Steve Nash leads the MVP debate in the league that i think matters especially since paul pierce was referring to the NBA.

The fact is that paul pierce (and many others probably) probably don't consider steve nash a foreign player, but canada isn't the united states, so i consider it a foreign country and hence nash is a foreign born player.

Just the way I look at things, but being a fan of baseball i'm used to seeing 'award based' travestys quite often...hell i'm used to seeing nonsense spouted like "Steve Nash shouldn't win 3 MVPs ina  row because he's not as good as jordan or anyone else who won 3 MVPs in a row" which to me is just an asinine and ridiculous rationale

LOL, and as a philli sports fan that makes you an authority somehow??  OK, TWO mvp for Nash, Manu has more title - worldwide, mind you, than Nash could hope to gain.  Like I said He is DAM good, but how do you NOT take accomplishments into account?  OMG, It's like saying Malone was the best PF in History - Damn good! but not the best.