Author Topic: Spurs sign D-league player  (Read 2050 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs sign D-league player
« on: July 23, 2008, 06:15:00 PM »
They have Hill, Mahmni, and now Tolliver...they are really trying to get that average age down...although next year looks like it will be a mediocre year because of the learning curve...looks like second round and out for us...Tim has never gone out in the first round so at least I can look forward to watching some playoff basketball by the Spurs next year...

July 23, 2008
Jeff McDonald: Another day, another signing
The Spurs' roster is filling out fast and furious now, although Wednesday's news wasn't nearly as earth-shaking as Tuesday's.

A day after the Spurs re-signed Kurt Thomas, the Spurs have announced the signing of Anthony Tolliver, a 6-foot-8 forward who spent almost all of last season in the NBA's Developmental League. Tolliver played on the Spurs' summer league team in Las Vegas and Salt Lake City earlier this month, and apparently impressed team brass enough to earn a contract.

Terms of the deal were not released, but it is assumed Tolliver's deal is non-guaranteed.

Tolliver, 23, averaged 11.6 points and 6.4 rebounds in 25 games with the D-League's Iowa Energy last season. He began the year in training camp with the Cleveland Cavaliers, and appeared in three NBA games before being waived.

Meanwhile, the contract numbers have come out on Thomas, who re-upped with the Spurs on Tuesday. According to a league source, Thomas' deal calls for him to be paid $8 million over the next two years. He will earn $4.2 million next season, and $3.8 million in 2009-10.

On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Spurs sign D-league player
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 09:34:20 PM »
They have Hill, Mahmni, and now Tolliver...they are really trying to get that average age down...although next year looks like it will be a mediocre year because of the learning curve...looks like second round and out for us...Tim has never gone out in the first round so at least I can look forward to watching some playoff basketball by the Spurs next year...

July 23, 2008
The Spurs' roster is filling out fast and furious now, although Wednesday's news wasn't nearly as earth-shaking as Tuesday's.

A day after the Spurs re-signed Kurt Thomas, the Spurs have announced the signing of Anthony Tolliver, a 6-foot-8 forward who spent almost all of last season in the NBA's Developmental League. Tolliver played on the Spurs' summer league team in Las Vegas and Salt Lake City earlier this month, and apparently impressed team brass enough to earn a contract.

Terms of the deal were not released, but it is assumed Tolliver's deal is non-guaranteed.

Tolliver, 23, averaged 11.6 points and 6.4 rebounds in 25 games with the D-League's Iowa Energy last season. He began the year in training camp with the Cleveland Cavaliers, and appeared in three NBA games before being waived.

Meanwhile, the contract numbers have come out on Thomas, who re-upped with the Spurs on Tuesday. According to a league source, Thomas' deal calls for him to be paid $8 million over the next two years. He will earn $4.2 million next season, and $3.8 million in 2009-10.

I think there is an empty seat on the Spurs bandwagon since a certain poster was not all over the most recent Spurs err...ahem..."signings".  If the bandwagon was in full effect those signings would have been welcomed with the resounding THUNDER of a Flabs or Kevin Garnett aquisition.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 01:42:19 AM »

July 23, 2008

I think there is an empty seat on the Spurs bandwagon since a certain poster was not all over the most recent Spurs err...ahem..."signings".  If the bandwagon was in full effect those signings would have been welcomed with the resounding THUNDER of a Flabs or Kevin Garnett aquisition.

The inside source has had the last two weeks off for vacation.  When the inside source returns to replacing urinal cakes Reality will be back with the news and "thunder".

WOW didn't you say that the Warriors paid Elton Brand money for Ronnie Turiaf?  I can't believe Kurt Thomas at 58 years old is making about the same amount of money Turiaf is for the next two.    That's even worse then what the Warriors did IMO.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 10:04:39 AM »

July 23, 2008

The inside source has had the last two weeks off for vacation.  When the inside source returns to replacing urinal cakes Reality will be back with the news and "thunder".

WOW didn't you say that the Warriors paid Elton Brand money for Ronnie Turiaf?  I can't believe Kurt Thomas at 58 years old is making about the same amount of money Turiaf is for the next two.    That's even worse then what the Warriors did IMO.

It takes a lot of money to get rid of that, "Man people piss me off!!" look.  Thomas is gonna need A LOT of work to get rid of that - and that is going to take a lot of money...hence, the contract amount for him...
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

jemagee

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 10:08:46 AM »
Elton Brand makes 80 million or so dollars over the life of his contract
Ronny Turiaf got a first year salary of less than the MLE...

How exactly is that Elton Brand money?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 12:03:47 PM »

I think he was exaggerating when he said that but I am not quite sure.  WOW?  Did you fail to read Ronnie was making 17 million over 4 years as opposed to 17 million a year?  ;D

Either way they overpaid for Thomas a great deal.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 04:42:30 PM »

I think he was exaggerating when he said that but I am not quite sure.  WOW?  Did you fail to read Ronnie was making 17 million over 4 years as opposed to 17 million a year?  ;D

Either way they overpaid for Thomas a great deal.

Context baby context.  I said it would be difficult for NBA teams to shell out Elton Brand money for Ronnie Turiaf talent in regards to the big money contracts being offered by the Euro teams to guys like Childress.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

jemagee

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 04:50:51 PM »
Childress got 'big money'?  It's a 3 year deal worth for 20 million net....is that big money in terms of basketball money?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 05:23:49 PM »
Childress got 'big money'?  It's a 3 year deal worth for 20 million net....is that big money in terms of basketball money?

For his talent YES!  Why do you bring up "net"?  You NEVER discuss NBA salaries in terms of "net".  Childress basically got 11 million per year "gross" in NBA money when taking all the perks into account.  Like I said, they are paying Brand money for Turiaf talent.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

jemagee

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 08:01:36 PM »
For his talent YES!  Why do you bring up "net"?  You NEVER discuss NBA salaries in terms of "net".

Because...that's why he took the deal

He makes twice the gross many in 60% of the time playing in greece...less games, easier competition and an opt out every year, i bring up net because one of the reasons to take the greece deal IS the net because they are covering the taxes and i bet a lot of his 'living in greece overhead'...so it matters...

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 10:19:52 PM »
For his talent YES!  Why do you bring up "net"?  You NEVER discuss NBA salaries in terms of "net".

Because...that's why he took the deal

He makes twice the gross many in 60% of the time playing in greece...less games, easier competition and an opt out every year, i bring up net because one of the reasons to take the greece deal IS the net because they are covering the taxes and i bet a lot of his 'living in greece overhead'...so it matters...

???  ?
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

jemagee

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 10:23:26 PM »
SOrry, two thoughts at once, 60% of 5 is 3 - in 3 years he will gross twice the amount of money he would have grossed in 5 years if he took the hawks low ball offer...and he can still come back to the nba in his late 20s

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 11:54:19 PM »
SOrry, two thoughts at once, 60% of 5 is 3 - in 3 years he will gross twice the amount of money he would have grossed in 5 years if he took the hawks low ball offer...and he can still come back to the nba in his late 20s

Ahhh....IMO it was a great move for him.  The ability to opt out after each season was the icing on the cake.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"