Author Topic: So how does the Childress move affect the NBA and the salary cap?  (Read 5702 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
That HS kid going over sees to play instead of collage was just the tip of the iceberge.  With Childress going over the Europe, it opens up a Pandora's box of player movement from the NBA to Europe.  Of course this won't affect the marquee players who make a ton of money in endorsements and have much bigger contracts but....

No salary cap in Europe, filthy rich owners with insane fanaticism for the competition and an Asian/European market starving for star power endorsement.  Players going oversees makes them instant celebrities from what I've read, even though they are not on the level of Kobe, LeBron, KG and the like, heck they are no even on the level of Marion and Dirk yet a guys like that get instantly vaulted onto that level.

I've heard that Sasha has already recieved several offers from a couple of Euro powerhouses that have missed out on some of the Euro-NBA players going back to Europe and want to make a similar splash themselves and are willing to throw all-star dollars at NBA roles/bench players.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: So how does the Childress move affect the NBA and the salary cap?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 12:58:53 PM »
In an interesting twist that i neither endorse nor decry, the thought that Sternfish and the greedy owners want to expand into Europe and this just helps it along.

In a way it kinda makes sense.

Reaction?

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 02:16:16 PM »
In an interesting twist that i neither endorse nor decry, the thought that Sternfish and the greedy owners want to expand into Europe and this just helps it along.

Reaction?

Makes you wonder HOW the NBA could compete in Europe with these other teams have more room and money to entice NBA players to jump ship...Now, I don't dont see that happennig to the point that we need to worry right now, but with players travelling through europe for conference play, I would think some tampering would be a major concern for NBA owners.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 02:33:54 PM »

Reaction?

Makes you wonder HOW the NBA could compete in Europe with these other teams have more room and money to entice NBA players to jump ship...Now, I don't dont see that happennig to the point that we need to worry right now, but with players travelling through europe for conference play, I would think some tampering would be a major concern for NBA owners.

I'd be worried if I was a team who was trying to sign role players and is now being put into a position to compete with Euro teams with no salary cap.  Spending Elton Brand money on Ronnie Turriaf talent could be a big problem if this trend continues.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

jemagee

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 02:34:12 PM »
I gotta think the logistics of NBA expansion into europe just don't work, travel time zones etc....unless they set up a 'european' league and have another 'championship'  round of USA champ vs euro champ.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 02:37:59 PM »
I gotta think the logistics of NBA expansion into europe just don't work, travel time zones etc....unless they set up a 'european' league and have another 'championship'  round of USA champ vs euro champ.

It could be like the EC vs WC where you only have to play each other twice durring the regular season.  IMO Euro fans overall are 10X better than any fanbase in the US.  Being one generation removed for being at war with your oppoenent might give them an edge.  I guess we could change the NBA into the North vs South conference...hmmm....
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

jemagee

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 02:40:26 PM »
Yeah, but if you only have one european team, going over there is jut a pain in the ass, and getting back, and all that nonsense, plus the euro team would do what, spend the first 41 games in america and then the next 41 in europe...you couldn't exactly have them going back and forth once or twice a month, i just think logistics make it an improbability (and stern has shot down the idea of european expansion anytime soon repeatedly)

I like the idea of a 'world' championship like the NBA champ vs the EURO champ or something, not based on country but employer

Offline shadowTerp

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 03:06:02 PM »

Especially since a "salary cap" or "luxury tax" are foreign (sorry for the pun) concepts in Europe.  It'd be interesting to see if America could/would adopt a multi-level promotion/relegation system for basketball (like Europe has in many sports, especially soccer).

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 03:20:49 PM »

Especially since a "salary cap" or "luxury tax" are foreign (sorry for the pun) concepts in Europe.  It'd be interesting to see if America could/would adopt a multi-level promotion/relegation system for basketball (like Europe has in many sports, especially soccer).

I wouldn't want there to be a World Title series between the US and "whoever" because the non-US team would clearly have a cake walk to the finals because their talent pool and level of competition is clearly inferior.  I could buy into allowing the top teams in Europe to be part of a playoff system but I'm not sure how the seeding would work or how W/L records would be incorporated.  I don't know much about the Olympic seeding or the soccer method but I don't want the title to come down to ONE round.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 04:15:32 PM »
We are just starting to go through what a lot of the Euro leagues and teams were going through for the past decade or so.

If you ask me it's a case of 'what goes around, comes around'  The NBA teams have been snatching up talent from Europe for years.  That didn't seem to effect them too much.  We've yet to return to grace on the International basketball stage and there seems to be an abundance of talented basketball players being scouted to come to the NBA.  Now they are going after our players for the same reasons we went after theirs.

I think that there is a lot of talent coming out of college that gets overlooked by the NBA.  If these guys can compete at a higher level by going overseas I think it is awesome.  That also allows a guy who is talented but might have been passed up for someone else a better shot.  If players are going overseas it gives another guy a chance to fill a role.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 04:20:55 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 04:22:07 PM »
I wouldn't want there to be a World Title series between the US and "whoever" because the non-US team would clearly have a cake walk to the finals because their talent pool and level of competition is clearly inferior.

The upper echelons of euro basketball are closer to the NBA than you think, the issue is that they play a difference game, and when the US doesn't win the gold medal this year we'll hear more talk about it.
\

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 01:41:44 PM »
On top of the no salary cap, don't forget about the weakness of the dollar.  It's a lot easier for Euro teams to pay Josh Childress $7mil/year than US teams.  What is that $4.43 million euros? 

jemagee

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 01:45:25 PM »
On top of the no salary cap, don't forget about the weakness of the dollar.  It's a lot easier for Euro teams to pay Josh Childress $7mil/year than US teams.  What is that $4.43 million euros? 

Oh please, the hawks could have ponied up a 3 year 25 million dollar contract easily

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 04:06:24 PM »

Oh please, the hawks could have ponied up a 3 year 25 million dollar contract easily

Yea they could have done it no problem.  It's 3 million.  Not 10 million.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 07:41:35 PM »

Not saying they couldn't, that wasn't my point.  Point is regardless of the amount of the contract it costs almost half in Euros what it does in dollars.  I don't think Childress is worth 7mil a year and apparently neither do the Hawks.  But he is worth $4.4.