Author Topic: The Simpsons  (Read 2890 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
The Simpsons
« on: July 21, 2008, 10:49:14 AM »
I know we threaded before about how much better the old epidsode writers were / how sucky the ones from 2004 on have been.  (Maybe the decline started even earlier then 2004, i dont remember.)

Anywho has everyone completely abandoned watching the new episodes.
I have.
Well, maybe when channel surfing I've watched bits n pieces of the new ones in the past year or so.  But for the most part I no longer watch new episodes.

You?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: The Simpsons
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 11:36:58 AM »
I rarely watch it amymore.  I actually haven't seen an episode since the Simpsons' movie because I was disappointed with the movie.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

jemagee

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 11:39:58 AM »
I haven't seen the movie and I stopped watching fox animation consistently the first time they cancelled family guy but kept king of the hill on the air (not to mention the travesty that is american dad)...south park has been better than the simpsons for years in terms of social commentary, and just plain funnier.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 11:46:40 AM »
I haven't seen the movie and I stopped watching fox animation consistently the first time they cancelled family guy but kept king of the hill on the air (not to mention the travesty that is american dad)...south park has been better than the simpsons for years in terms of social commentary, and just plain funnier.

Man I hate family guy.  It's like they hired all the guys who couldn't hack it in the Simpsons and South Park shows.  The South Park episode about "The Family Guy" manatee writers was DEAD ON!  Stewie can be funny but his act gets old after 2 minutes.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

jemagee

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 11:48:29 AM »
Man I hate family guy.  It's like they hired all the guys who couldn't hack it in the Simpsons and South Park shows.  The South Park episode about "The Family Guy" manatee writers was DEAD ON!  Stewie can be funny but his act gets old after 2 minutes.

The 'original' family guy episodes were funny, but ever since cartoon network 'revived' it it just hasn't been the same to me...early episodes with stewie were just great, but the whole 'run the flash back/forwrad just a bit too long' thing just is getting tired...i mean, american dad is terrible too, so why did fox give seth mcfarlane so much damn money?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 11:54:08 AM »
The 'original' family guy episodes were funny, but ever since cartoon network 'revived' it it just hasn't been the same to me...early episodes with stewie were just great, but the whole 'run the flash back/forwrad just a bit too long' thing just is getting tired...i mean, american dad is terrible too, so why did fox give seth mcfarlane so much damn money?

For me it's just that I can't stand lame humor, I've hated Family Guy since day 1.  South Park is raunchy and low brow if you take it a face value, much like the Simpsons but there is always that strong "social commentary" element to those shows that I love.  Not so much with the Simpsons but South Park lays it on so thick that only the "thick" don't see/get it.  That's also why I like a "stupid" show like Howard Stern, if you can get past some of his "lowest common denominator" humor you will find a truely funny "high brow/social commentary" current throught all his shows.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

jemagee

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 11:58:01 AM »
I got over stern when i was in high school, just doesn't appeal to me any more and paying for a service to hear him really doesn't appeal to me...south park is just hysterical, even when isaac hayes quits they find a way to get rid of him mockingly while mocking the reason he quit.

I don't catch it as religious as i did, but when imaginationland reairs i definitely want to record it because i've heard such good things.

And if you haven't seen it, south park bigger longer uncut is damn near hysterical.

I liked stewie in the beginning, ever since he used the phrase estrogenical tyrrany

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 12:01:14 PM »
Individual episodes of American Dad have been great.
When Alien guy took pictures of himself and sold them to the tabloid rags to raise money.
He ended up getting temp assigned as Dads supervisor at the CIA and milked the spending stipend to the max :D
When Dad kidnapped the two children of the lesbos and attempted to drive them to Nebraska where anti gay laws are still enforced. :D
Alien guy was going to get married to desperate pushy Jewish girl whose Mom was thrilled. :D

jemagee

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 12:03:54 PM »
I thought the 'summer camp' one was funny...but that's about it

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 02:38:08 PM »
Family guy is hilarious!!  Youtube the family guy where peter pokes holes in the frogs back and tries to pick it up..hilarious.  Just saw one episode where they are trying to get the oldest son, chris, into a new school, and one of the only ones that will take him is a school for the deaf, so they take him on a tour of the campus and they end up in the gym during a pep rally, the kid leading the rally is saying, "what are we gonna do to the other team?!" and the crowd responds, "Kill, kill, kill!!"  to that the rally leader says, " I CAN'T HAR YOU!!", the crowd, "Kill, kill, kill!!!", the leader. "I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!", the crowd, "KILL, KILL, KILL!!!", the leader, "I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!" and so on....

classic... :o
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 02:41:35 PM by SPURSX3 »
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 04:11:32 PM »
I rarely watch it amymore.  I actually haven't seen an episode since the Simpsons' movie because I was disappointed with the movie.

I haven't watched a new episiode since I saw the movie (and walked out of it).

The re-runs come on at 7-7:30 I believe so it is hard to miss them now that Laker games are no longer on in the same time slot.

Family guy is funny at times but ever since South Park took a crap all over the show and Seth McFarlane it's been hard to watch it without thinking about how bad the show really is.  Really if they just made a Stewie and Brian spin off show I'd be a lot happier.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 05:16:37 PM »

The re-runs come on at 7-7:30 I believe so it is hard to miss them now that Laker games are no longer on in the same time slot.

Family guy is funny at times but ever since South Park took a crap all over the show and Seth McFarlane it's been hard to watch it without thinking about how bad the show really is.  Really if they just made a Stewie and Brian spin off show I'd be a lot happier.

no way, you need the whole cast to make it work.  I love the show, not to say I don't like south park, but the random jokes ARE what make Family Guy work. 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 05:30:29 PM by SPURSX3 »
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 05:34:47 PM »

no way, you need the whole cast to make it work.  I love the show, not to say I don't like south park, but the random jokes ARE what make Family Guy work. 

The ramdom jokes are what make me think those guys don't have a clue.  That can't write one frigging story that can fill a 1/2 hour time slot.  They SUCK!  They are like hacky-one-liner comics.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 06:59:37 PM »

The ramdom jokes are what make me think those guys don't have a clue.  That can't write one frigging story that can fill a 1/2 hour time slot.  They SUCK!  They are like hacky-one-liner comics.

maybe they can write for bsg and turn it into a real tv show... ;)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2008, 07:29:50 PM »

maybe they can write for bsg and turn it into a real tv show... ;)

HAHA!  Good one liner.  However it is now time to feel the wraith of the BSG dorks around here who are going to go into long winded detail about how great the story line and characters are blah blah blah blah.

Seriously though..If Family Guy could go an entire episode without having to fall back on nostalgic references or jokes that have nothing to do with the story line I'd give it more props.  Until then it is written by manatees who pick idea balls out of a tank just like it was described by South Park.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com