Author Topic: Lakers do not match GS offer for Ronnie  (Read 3694 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Lakers do not match GS offer for Ronnie
« on: July 19, 2008, 12:22:14 AM »
Too bad, I liked the guy.  That leave the Lakers a bit thin in the front court.  While Mihm is a talented big man, IMO one of not THE best back PF/C in the league, he hasn't been healthy in 3 years or something so he's pretty useless and not someone you're going to count on to back Gasol and Bynum.  I guess the Lakers will play some small ball with RadMan or Odom at the PF.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3496084

LOS ANGELES -- With great reluctance, the Los Angeles Lakers decided at Friday's deadline they wouldn't match Golden State's offer for Ronny Turiaf, meaning the former second-round draft choice will move up the California coast to play for the Warriors.

ESPN.com's J.A. Andande first reported the Lakers would not match the offer.

"There are emotional ties with Ronny that go beyond basketball," Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said on a conference call. "I think that makes it difficult. I think organizations that draft players who turn out to be good players, it's hard for them to let go of those players. And if you know Ronny, you know he's a special kid."

The Warriors signed Turiaf, a restricted free agent, to a four-year, $17 million offer sheet last week. By rule, the Lakers had seven days to decide whether to match it. The three-year veteran from Gonzaga averaged 6.6 points and 3.9 rebounds in 78 games with the Western Conference champions last season, making 21 starts.

The Lakers played much of last season without starting center Andrew Bynum, giving Turiaf the opportunity for more playing time than he would have had otherwise. But, Kupchak said, Bynum is expected to be healthy when training camp begins in early October, and Turiaf's opportunities figured to be diminished significantly.

Kupchak said Bynum has been in New York and underwent physical therapy in 19 of the last 21 days and has been cleared to work out and play.

"He's basically on his own to begin conditioning and basketball activity, starting today," Kupchak said. "It's a process. Based on what he did last year, I would expect him to come in in mid-September basically in great shape. I know that's his goal. He's coming back this weekend, we're going to meet with him Monday. He will go to Atlanta late next week to begin his training for the upcoming season."

With frontcourt players like Bynum, Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom, Vladimir Radmanovic, Luke Walton, Trevor Ariza and Chris Mihm on the roster, that wouldn't appear to leave much playing time for Turiaf. Kupchak said he believes that Mihm, who missed most of the last two seasons with ankle problems, will also be fully healthy at the start of training camp.

"We will miss Ronny, we will miss his contributions on and off the court, the emotion and the energy he brought, whether he's playing or not," Kupchak said.

Kupchak said he met with Turiaf for about an hour Thursday.

"It was a very emotional meeting because he loves the city, he loves the organization, there are certain bonds here," Kupchak said. "He feels it's in his best interests to move on. The last thing you want is a young player like Ronny no matter what he's being paid is being on the bench at 25 years old and not playing.

"We discussed it yesterday, he wants to play, and sees an opportunity to play in Golden State at least twofold what he can play here."

The Warriors certainly have a much greater need for big men than the Lakers.

Kupchak said the Lakers will now focus on re-signing guard Sasha Vujacic, another restricted free agent.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Lakers do not match GS offer for Ronnie
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 08:40:07 AM »
Too bad for the Lakers that they had to loose him, but with Bynum coming back, it won't make much difference. Turiaf wasn't a match for Boston anyway, and the Lakers have to be targeting the Celtics as the team to beat.

So far, it doesn't appear anyone in the West has done enough yet to challenge the Lakers.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 09:27:43 AM »
Too bad, I liked the guy. 
He epitomized the Lakers in so many ways.
Did you ever get a shot of his dual pigtails with skruchies?  I hadn't seen that look since Spree and THud were TimberWolfies.

jemagee

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 10:04:20 AM »
It's a shame the lakers had to LOSE RONNY Turiaf yes...he's a key bench player and I think it might cost them in a playoff run...but the minutes were going to go down and GSW did kind of over pay for him

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 12:20:21 PM »
It's a shame the lakers had to LOSE RONNY Turiaf yes...he's a key bench player and I think it might cost them in a playoff run...but the minutes were going to go down and GSW did kind of over pay for him

I think if he is going to get a much bigger role over there that 4 million a year is not overpaying for what he brings.  The guy is instant glue to a team, he hustles, and he is a good shot blocker for his size.

Obviously the Lakers need every penny they can get to keep Gasol, Kobe, Odom, and Bynum together.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 12:45:34 PM »
He epitomized the Lakers in so many ways.

I sort of agree.  He comes back from a life threatening heart problem to become a successful player in the NBA.  Him being rewarded for his hard fought victory over death is truely Laker like.  Nice call on that one Reality!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 10:35:25 AM »
In a touching moment right out of "Brian's Song", Fish and Ronnys hairdresser paid Ronny a visit as he lie in the hospital bed.  When told how much they really needed him to get into skrunchies and work those dreadtails, Ronnys spirits lifted.

Actually it's good to see Turiaf playing period after the heart ailment.  I followed him since his Gonzaga days and thought it was a great draft by the Lakers/retarded of other teams that had picks in front of R2 #7 pick.  Clippers had two picks in front. :D :D
Yaroslav Korolev whom they released after one season and Daniel Ewing, also released.  Go Clipps!
Pop and the Spurs brain trust went with 19 year old Ian Manhimi ahead of Turiaf.  We'll see.  Set to make his Spurs debut this season.

So yes i am quite surprised the Lakers let Turiaf go, espcially if they do sign Sasha.  But it boiled down to minutes and you can't promise Turiaf more then 10-15 with SuperByns coming back.  My guess is its Turiaf who chose to leave by wanting more minutes at Golden State.  I bet the Lakers said "we'll match but only plan on 10 minutes a game" and Turiaf bailed.  Do you think Phil was disappointed in the buttkicking he got by Boston or was that a nonfactor in the sign?

What a great draft by the Collusionists that year, Byns and Turiaf.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 10:48:01 AM by Reality »

jemagee

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 06:45:00 PM »
Monta Ellis, out for about 3 months...ah well

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 07:57:27 PM »
In a touching moment right out of "Brian's Song", Fish and Ronnys hairdresser paid Ronny a visit as he lie in the hospital bed.  When told how much they really needed him to get into skrunchies and work those dreadtails, Ronnys spirits lifted.

Actually it's good to see Turiaf playing period after the heart ailment.  I followed him since his Gonzaga days and thought it was a great draft by the Lakers/retarded of other teams that had picks in front of R2 #7 pick.  Clippers had two picks in front. :D :D
Yaroslav Korolev whom they released after one season and Daniel Ewing, also released.  Go Clipps!
Pop and the Spurs brain trust went with 19 year old Ian Manhimi ahead of Turiaf.  We'll see.  Set to make his Spurs debut this season.

So yes i am quite surprised the Lakers let Turiaf go, espcially if they do sign Sasha.  But it boiled down to minutes and you can't promise Turiaf more then 10-15 with SuperByns coming back.  My guess is its Turiaf who chose to leave by wanting more minutes at Golden State.  I bet the Lakers said "we'll match but only plan on 10 minutes a game" and Turiaf bailed.  Do you think Phil was disappointed in the buttkicking he got by Boston or was that a nonfactor in the sign?

What a great draft by the Collusionists that year, Byns and Turiaf.

This is all the bigs the Lakers currently have that can play either the 4 or 5:

Chris Mihm
Andrew Bynum
Pau Gasol
Lamar Odom

That doesn't really leave very many minutes for Turiaf.  I think he plays hard enough and really does his best to improve the mental part of the game that  he should move on.  He wouldn't get to be as good as he could be on the Lakers.

Bynum was viewed as a major gamble in that draft and Ronnie almost didn't play due to his heart condition.  Explain to me how you can even make an attempt to say it might have been rigged?!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 11:46:43 PM »
^^ See Speedy Claxton for how it could work out for Turiaf.  I'm in the minority, but I'd rather be a 15 quality minutes regular contributor on a title team then a higher paid quantity minutes starter on a non playoff team.

And in Speedys case, dad gummed if Parker didn't go down at the beginning of the year and he would have been starting for a good spell.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 08:20:14 AM »
^^ See Speedy Claxton for how it could work out for Turiaf.  I'm in the minority, but I'd rather be a 15 quality minutes regular contributor on a title team then a higher paid quantity minutes starter on a non playoff team.

And in Speedys case, dad gummed if Parker didn't go down at the beginning of the year and he would have been starting for a good spell.

That is not a smart way to handle your career, hoping someone gets hurt so you can get big minutes.  Ronnie did what's best for Ronnie, anybody here going to turn down a job that pays more money and give you an opportunity to develop your skills and make a name for yourself?  NO!  The NBA is a buisness, people tend to not understand that and rarely look beyond their own personal preferences.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 09:00:37 AM »
Nice misquote.  Hoping someone gets hurt?

Plus do you know the reason was money or was it playing time?  Maybe the Lakers did offer to match but also were up front with Turiaf about minutes.

The NBA is a buisness, people tend to not understand that and rarely look beyond their own personal preferences.
Ummn hmmn.
Filing for bankruptcy is a long-standing tradition for NBA players, 60% of whom, according to the Toronto Star, are broke five years after they retire.
http://forums.phillyarena.net/index.php?topic=4669.0

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 09:34:20 AM »
Nice misquote.  Hoping someone gets hurt?

Plus do you know the reason was money or was it playing time?  Maybe the Lakers did offer to match but also were up front with Turiaf about minutes.

No misquote, you used Parker going down as an example and since it was reported that Mitch stated Ronnie would not get much playing time with the return of Bynum and Mihm it was an obvious connection.  Someone as obsessed with the Lakers as you are would know about the comments made when Ronnie ended up going to the Warriors. 

It was a no brainer for Ronnie.  The Lakers did not match because they are deep into Luxury Tax territory plus Ronnie would not be getting many minutes so the "bang for the buck" for the Lakers was not very good.  The expectation is for very limited minutes for a player like Ronnie.   The Lakers can fill that need at a much better price.  Hopefully injuries will not be a major issue and the Lakers can proceed as planned.  IMO Mihm is the best back up center in the league when he is healthy.

Ummn hmmn.
Filing for bankruptcy is a long-standing tradition for NBA players, 60% of whom, according to the Toronto Star, are broke five years after they retire.
http://forums.phillyarena.net/index.php?topic=4669.0

What does that have to do with the discussion?  That implies that players should take the money no matter what cause the less money they have the more likely they are to end up broke.  The league is top heavy with salaries so maybe you need to have a contract that puts you above 60% of players that end up broke.  Plus, that is a players issue and possibly a players union issue.  There should be some kind of 401K-ish plan where the union or league save a certain portion of the players salary for a retirement nest egg.  Granted the players make enough to hire someone to do that but if the numbers are as high as 60% then the league or union should step in.  Hopefully that would not become an opportunity for corruption, God and Allah help the players if Isiah Thomas is put in charge of the "retirement plan".   :D
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 09:50:19 AM »

That is not a smart way to handle your career, hoping someone gets hurt so you can get big minutes.  Ronnie did what's best for Ronnie, anybody here going to turn down a job that pays more money and give you an opportunity to develop your skills and make a name for yourself?  NO!  The NBA is a buisness, people tend to not understand that and rarely look beyond their own personal preferences.

Plain and simple he enjoys playing the game too much to not take an offer that gives him more minutes, a bigger role, and a bigger paycheck.  I don't even think it's a business decision as much as it is his love for the game.  He has a much different mentality when it comes to wanting to play the game of basketball then 99% of the league.

The Lakers did not offer to match.  The GS deal was on the table.  Everyone, including us fans, knew about it.  They didn't even flex at the idea because it was out of their range.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2008, 09:56:28 AM »
The Lakers did not offer to match.  The GS deal was on the table.  Everyone, including us fans, knew about it.  They didn't even flex at the idea because it was out of their range.
  How do you know this?  Turiafs negotiations came before Sashas.  At that point the Lakers did have cap space.
I don't claim to know the Lakers offered to match behind closed doors.  But you and WoW don't know either.  It might have been all about playing time.  And to be sure it's his choice.  If Golden can get healthy who knows what they can do in 2009 playoffs.