Author Topic: I friggin hate the phillies  (Read 28906 times)

Offline sixers hoops

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: I friggin hate the phillies
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2008, 10:55:46 AM »

The phillies are just terrible

It is tough watching a team with a young ace, the last two MVP's, and one of the best players in the league in Utley, just waste these guys away.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2008, 11:03:18 AM »
The team is built around offense and not pitching.  Unless you are willing to have a top 3 payrole, you don't build sustained success by building a power team.

I don't blame them for developing good home grown power hitters like Howard, but they should be looking to build around pitching and contact hitters.  Power hitters cost too much for this type of team.

Offline carolina blue

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2008, 11:09:53 AM »
By "the team" I meant the players.

The idiocy of this ownership group is well documented.

jemagee

« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2008, 11:10:01 AM »
Yes, it's very simple to build around pitching, that's why so many teams do it.

A.  You won't pay over slot
B.  Your scouting system is 20 years (at least) behind the times
C.  Your international scouting sucks
D.  Your minor league system is terrible

Hard to build around pitching that way

Offline sixers hoops

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2008, 11:10:42 AM »
The team is built around offense and not pitching.  Unless you are willing to have a top 3 payrole, you don't build sustained success by building a power team.

I don't blame them for developing good home grown power hitters like Howard, but they should be looking to build around pitching and contact hitters.  Power hitters cost too much for this type of team.

This may not even be realistic, but would you prefer signing Howard at his 10 or 15 million per season or just trying to get a Sheets or Sabathia or one of whoever the top free-agent pitchers are?

It seems to me from watching the playoffs every year that we would likely be more successful swapping Howard for an ace.

jemagee

« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2008, 11:12:35 AM »
This may not even be realistic, but would you prefer signing Howard at his 10 or 15 million per season or just trying to get a Sheets or Sabathia or one of whoever the top free-agent pitchers are?

I'd rather get a sheets or sabathia, i'd rather the phils revamp their minors and get better coaches in their, how come gavin floyd can suddenly pitch when he's gone from philadelphia?  Maybe they actually worked with the kid in the off season?

The foible that is common in baseball seems to be buiilding around 'park strength' which helps every tema, i think it's better to build around a park weakness....everyone will 'benefit' from the 'launching pad' (real or not) but if you build a pitching staff strong enough to maintain in that park (GROUND BALL PITCHERS) you get the advantage

It seems to me from watching the playoffs every year that we would likely be more successful swapping Howard for an ace.

Well yeah, but it wouldn't happen...Ryan Howard is basically a DH, a pretty good DH, but a DH who 'strikes out too much', and for people that still matters, and it's easier to find a home run hitter who can barely field than an ace pitcher...remember, the red sox basically took david ortiz off the scrap heap from the twins....top line pitching is MUCH harder to get/develop than a poor fielding home run hitter...

Offline sixers hoops

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2008, 11:15:14 AM »
Quick off-topic question.

Willie Mays Hayes. Hits like Mays, runs like Hayes.

Who is Hayes? I doubt its Von.

jemagee

« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2008, 11:22:15 AM »

Offline sixers hoops

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2008, 11:31:12 AM »

jemagee

« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2008, 11:34:40 AM »
I don't know for sure it's this guy i just googled 'famous runner hayes' and he's the first guy who came up :)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2008, 11:42:12 AM »
Quick off-topic question.

Willie Mays Hayes. Hits like Mays, runs like Hayes.

Who is Hayes? I doubt its Von.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFc7OHAB84w

« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 12:52:39 PM by tk76- »

jemagee

« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2008, 11:44:17 AM »
One of the worst sequels ever....until Major leage 3

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2008, 03:42:22 PM »
Phillies And Marlins In Manny Hunt
30th July, 2008 - 3:33 pm
SI.com - The Phillies and Marlins are two of a few teams engaged in trade talks regarding embattled superstar Manny Ramirez, SI.com has learned. The Dodgers also showed interest in Ramirez, but they appear to be less involved than those other two National League teams now.

Ramirez has publicly expressed a desire to be traded, and it is believed he'd approve a deal to at least Philadelphia, and perhaps Florida and Los Angeles, as well. [READ]

jemagee

« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2008, 03:43:42 PM »
I love when sports illustrated is so behind the curve...pat gillick has already shot that deal down :)

The other rumor mahay for donald sucks a lot too...JUST PUT DONALD AT THIRD you morons

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2008, 03:47:34 PM »
I might cancel my season tickets if they make the donald trade.  Well, not literally cancel, but not renew next year.  That would be horrible.  Typical of Pat Gillick during his last years with a club, but horrible nonetheless.