Author Topic: Project the Depth Chart  (Read 9944 times)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Project the Depth Chart
« on: July 17, 2008, 09:01:05 AM »
Slow news day unless WIP's manufactured "big trade rumor" has any legs.

After seeing Young and Speights readiness at SF and PF, how do you see the minutes getting distributed this year?

Here are player MPG last year: http://www.nba.com/sixers/stats/
Keep in mind, since not every player plays 82 games, the total minutes in the stats are more than 48/position.  For this post, assume everyone is healthy and distribute 48 min/position.

My Guess:

PG: Miller(36), Lou(12)
SG: AIG (26), Lou(14), WG(8 )
SF: Young(34), AIG(14)
PF: Brand(37), Evans(11)
C: Sam(32), Smith(8 ), Speights(8 )

Because of injuries and foul trouble, Smith or Speights should get extended minutes on many nights- but probably a bunch of DNP's too.

On one hand, floor balance will be an issue because there are not great shooters from outside 18 feet on the roster.  On the flip side, I think most of the players can shoot near 50% for the season.

-Would you leave Evans on the bench insted in order to better develop our younger bigs?

-Can you see WG being out of the rotation entirely?

-If we traded Evans for a shooter (say Matt Carrol), would the shooter cut into Lou and Young's minutes?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 09:02:49 AM by tk76- »

Offline johnny broad-street

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Project the Depth Chart
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 09:51:05 AM »
What is the "Big Trade Rumor"?

jemagee

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 09:54:22 AM »
As long as he's on the roster, and Mo is the coach I can't see willie green out of the rotation, which is the primary reason i want him gone

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 11:11:12 AM »
What is the "Big Trade Rumor"?

You have pretty much all of the "details" that there are.  tk mentioned the possibility of trading Dalembert on RealGM and they are now postulating Sammy for Amare deals.  I know Sammy should be a great fit next to Brand, but am I the only one that fears Sammy will have a major brain fart and act petulant about Brand being the main offensive big man and go to guy down low.  I know Sam has never been that guy, at least not by anything other than default, but I am not sure Sam knows that.  Once Iggy signs I am not worried about his attitude going into this year, Sammy on the other hand worries me.  It seems like a perfect set-up for a guy with Sam's skills, but may not be so perfect for a guy with Sam's brain.

jemagee

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 11:22:31 AM »
I find this whole Sam being booted from the canadian team really disturbing, anonymous quotes saying he was 'big timing' even though he's an nba role player (thought it was funny the player called him a role player)...they just are more fuel to the fire (at least my fire) that he's not dedicated to being the best basketball player he can be, and if ANYONE is willing to take him on in a trade it's serious consideration.

Sam for Amare wouldn't happen, like ever....

Sam has been petulant before and i expect he'll be petulant again, and that his numbers will be acceptable enough for most that his continued deficiencies are accepted...deficiencies that I worry will make sure the sixers arent' ever a serious threat to win a title while he's the starting center

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 03:30:07 PM »
Here are player MPG last year: http://www.nba.com/sixers/stats/
Keep in mind, since not every player plays 82 games, the total minutes in the stats are more than 48/position.  For this post, assume everyone is healthy and distribute 48 min/position.

My Guess:

PG: Miller(36), Lou(12)
SG: AIG (26), Lou(14), WG(8 )
SF: Young(34), AIG(14)
PF: Brand(37), Evans(11)
C: Sam(32), Smith(8 ), Speights(8 )

You are probably pretty close, although as the season progresses I would not be surprised to Miller and Brand get their minutes cut back a little if the team is really running a lot and to save them for the playoffs.  We have young depth, why not use it.  Sammy may alos be on a shorter leash as the season and our young big men progress.  I would like our young bigs to get playing time, but Cheeks should be putting the best team on the floor.  If that means Reggie playing because of his D so be it, then the young guys will know what it takes to earn more minutes.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 03:48:10 PM »
We've now got an honest to goodness depth "problem" as the bigs.  I can't see Evans being happy with 11 mpg, and I think by midseason, Speights will be deserving of more than 8 mpg (probably be more deserving by the start of the season)

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 04:27:36 PM »
We've now got an honest to goodness depth "problem" as the bigs.  I can't see Evans being happy with 11 mpg, and I think by midseason, Speights will be deserving of more than 8 mpg (probably be more deserving by the start of the season)

I'd hafta think Ed is working on that.  Really the only other solution is to play 3 bigs in a 2-3 zone with Iggy and Thad playing PG and SG and make a 3rd wheel beat you from outside.  But I don't think that would really work offensively either.  So I have no idea.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 06:21:06 PM »
More likely that there will be 16 minutes a game that only one of Smith or Speights gets.  The other will be a DNP.  Not ideal, but there are only so many minutes.  Also, I could see Reggie getting a DNP, unless a defensive spark is needed.  Pretty expensive for a 27 year old 4M+ player.

Offline wow444

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - sportsrockfun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 08:52:38 AM »
I think it will look more like this.

PG: Miller(32), Lou(16)
SG: AIG (24), Lou(14), WG(10)
SF: Young(30), AIG(12), TBD (6)
PF: Brand(32), Evans(14), Speights (2)
C: Sam(30), Smith(10 ), Speights(8)

40 min is just too much for any player so I trimmed AIG back.  Cheeks over played the Andre's to get wins the previous two seasons and with the addition of Brand they won't have to work so hard to get those wins.  I predict more garbage time.  I don't think either of Smith/Speights will DNP CDs.  If that happens they will go to the D League for a spell.  I think that if Gordon makes the team he will start out in the D League also.

jemagee

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 08:55:48 AM »
If you can take anything from summer league, I gotta think that Speights is ahead of smith on the depth chart already...better offensive game and not as foul prone

Offline wow444

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - sportsrockfun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 09:04:57 AM »
If you can take anything from summer league, I gotta think that Speights is ahead of smith on the depth chart already...better offensive game and not as foul prone

It is probably too early to move him up yet.  I imagine that them going head to head in practice will determine that.  With the minutes he'll play I don't think fouls come into play.  Smith's outside shooting (if it holds up beyond the SL)  and his ability to set better screens, will play a factor also.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 09:37:06 AM »
Its amazing what a week working with Mark Price can do.  Smith was automatic from the outside and the foul line with an improved release.  Last season Lou started on fire from 3 after he worked with Price- and then he regressed and his shot flattened back out.  I would love to see Price brought in periodically to help the Sixers shooters.  I doubt he is looking to be an assistant- but the Sixers need him.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 09:57:43 AM »

It is probably too early to move him up yet.  I imagine that them going head to head in practice will determine that.  With the minutes he'll play I don't think fouls come into play.  Smith's outside shooting (if it holds up beyond the SL)  and his ability to set better screens, will play a factor also.

I get the feeling that the team as it is presently constituted plus a bunch of guys making the minimum will be the team we see in November.  Smith and Evans will be the primary back-up bigs at the start of the season, with Speights having to improve his D in practice to earn time.  Speights also seems like the kind of guy where you don't want to hand him minutes too easily and watch him get satisfied, but make him work hard to earn them and keep him hungry and motivated.  As the season progresses I expect Speights to make a move for more minutes and, barring an injury, that is when we will see a minutes log-jam among the bigs.  Around the deadline we should have a good idea of where we are with Miller and our bigs and that is when we will see a trade of some sort to address one or both of those issues.

Its amazing what a week working with Mark Price can do.  Smith was automatic from the outside and the foul line with an improved release.  Last season Lou started on fire from 3 after he worked with Price- and then he regressed and his shot flattened back out.  I would love to see Price brought in periodically to help the Sixers shooters.  I doubt he is looking to be an assistant- but the Sixers need him.

I thought both Smith, and Williams to a lesser extent, wore down as the season wound to a close last year and that neither was really getting their legs consistently into their jump-shots.  Shooting more with your arms will generally cause a flatter shot.  Conditioning and having strong legs is a big part of being a good jump shooter.  Hopefully they will work on those areas as well as their form.  Since Price is essentially a consultant I see no reason why the team can't pay him to provide assistance in short visits at times throughout the season.  Do we have a shooting coach anymore?  I belive Buzz Braman was the shooting coach here for a time in the Barkley era.

jemagee

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 10:00:32 AM »
, with Speights having to improve his D in practice to earn time

But Jason Smith can continue to suck ass on defense?