Author Topic: OT - PS3 now has movie rental and buy service...  (Read 4635 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
OT - PS3 now has movie rental and buy service...
« on: July 16, 2008, 02:18:00 PM »
Was checking out the live feed from E3 yesterday and Sony announced they would launch their movie service last night.  It di not show until 11pm central on my system.  I have to say the quality was great and so was the sound.  and they had a good selection of movies to start off with.  I had just finished watching a movie i bought on my xbox, and then checked to see if the online movie service was up on playstation network - it was - I rented some japanese horror called "Retribution" - movie bit butthe picture quality and sound was better than the xbox film IMO - I watched "Strange Wilderness" on my xbox. 

In any case the cost for a standard movie is 2.99 for the rental, 12.99 to buy, high def movies are 5.99 rental 14.99 to buy...and if you have a PSP you can trfr the movie from your PS3 to your PSP as well.  That's a cool touch.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

jemagee

Re: OT - PS3 now has movie rental and buy service...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 02:22:04 PM »
I believe Microsoft XBOX Live has partnered with Netflix as well...

Sony really needs to focus on better games getting released for their system, i've read a lot of people being disappointed with MGS4....and Miicrosoft announcing price drops...plus I gotta think Microsoft getting FF13 is just a sign that the PS3 doesn't have the penetration Enix needs in the US to justify exclusivity any more.

Oh yes, this week is E3, one of the top 5 geek nirvanas of the year, but the bastards went and made it closed to the public AND banned 'booth babes'

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 02:30:46 PM »
Yeah, the big stuff is done with, for the most part.  Bungie was suppossed to announce a new Halo game but their publisher barred them from doing so.  Sony stated that this year the focus IS going to be on software.  I don't know if you have played Metal Gear Solid 4 - but it is incredible - the dual layer blu ray really allowed them to make a really great gaming experience and story as well.  If bluray is really the way of the future then Sony will have the best games available.  Xbox will either need to change to blu ray (which they won't) or keep selling multi-disc games to support story and graphics (time to change to disc 2...)

Sony should also be releasing "Home" this year - it's like a second life community for PS3 players. 

Xbox will have netflix rentals late this year but they did sign a contract with NBC/UNiversal and some other studios already to make more movies available online XBOX live...which you can tell when you look at the video store, there is a much better selection now and more newer movies as well.

God of War 3 on PS3 is a must have.  they announced that yesterday.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 03:35:29 PM »
LittleBigPlanet is going to blow any xbox360 game out of the water.  They also have that DC MMORPG coming out (not my cup of tea but the nerds seem to be buzzing) and they have that MAG FPS game that is suppose to support 250 players at once.   As for games its not really up to Sony to develop all the games for the ps3.  The developers for various companies are finally starting to come around to how to code for the ps3, it took too long and a price drop for the development kit, but still they are warming up to it.  As the xbox360s power and space start slowing down going into 09 and 2010 that is where they will make there push.   The excuse that there is not enough games for the ps3 is something started by xbox fan boys and microsoft marketers because quite frankly the games are 60 bucks a pop and I can name 7-8 right now that are well worth buying/playing.  I don't know anyone who has time to run through 600 dollars worth of games very quickly.

Tho the FF13 not being an exclusive hurt Sony it's not a huge deal seeing as the game wont be out for another year and a half if there is no delays.  Also, due to size, RPG games are better suited for Sony/Blu Ray anyways.  Not a big deal and to me it was MS' last ditch effort to make up for a pretty average E3 announcement.  Aside from the FF news they didn't say much.

With that said...the playstation service for movies is going to be solid but that doesn't really interest me.  I like to own the Blu Ray DVDs personally.  What does look cool is that HOME thing they have going on.  One thing about the playstation network is it's not as cool to jump into games with friends as it could be.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 03:42:10 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 03:43:16 PM »
LittleBigPlanet is going to blow any xbox360 game out of the water.  As for games its not really up to Sony to develop all the games for the ps3.  The developers for various companies are finally starting to come around to how to code for the ps3, it took too long and a price drop for the development kit, but still they are warming up to it.  As the xbox360s power and space start slowing down going into 09 and 2010 that is where they will make there push. 

Tho the FF13 not being an exclusive hurt Sony it's not a huge deal seeing as the game wont be out for another year and a half if there is no delays.  Also, due to size, RPG games are better suited for Sony/Blu Ray anyways.  Not a big deal and to me it was MS' last ditch effort to make up for a pretty average E3 announcement.  Aside from the FF news they didn't say much.

With that said...the playstation service for movies is going to be solid but that doesn't really interest me.  I like to own the Blu Ray DVDs personally.  What does look cool is that HOME thing they have going on.  One thing about the playstation network is it's not as cool to jump into games with friends as it could be.

PS3??? pfffft.......

I was blown away by some PS3 graphics and I thought XBox 360 could not match...until it did...saw a game that looked just as good on an XBox 360 at the local ToysRUs.

If you really want to own a PS3 why not just save a few bucks and buy a used Game Cube?  For a little more you can upgrade to a Wii.  Surprisingly my kids have let the Wii collect dust, they still prefer the XBox 360.  I might shell out a few bucks for a PS3 or maybe even buy another XBox 360 to get my kids off my back, and off my XBox.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 04:02:31 PM »
LittleBigPlanet is going to blow any xbox360 game out of the water.  As for games its not really up to Sony to develop all the games for the ps3.  The developers for various companies are finally starting to come around to how to code for the ps3, it took too long and a price drop for the development kit, but still they are warming up to it.  As the xbox360s power and space start slowing down going into 09 and 2010 that is where they will make there push. 

PS3??? pfffft.......

I was blown away by some PS3 graphics and I thought XBox 360 could not match...until it did...saw a game that looked just as good on an XBox 360 at the local ToysRUs.

If you really want to own a PS3 why not just save a few bucks and buy a used Game Cube?  For a little more you can upgrade to a Wii.  Surprisingly my kids have let the Wii collect dust, they still prefer the XBox 360.  I might shell out a few bucks for a PS3 or maybe even buy another XBox 360 to get my kids off my back, and off my XBox.

That's because a number of games are just straight ported to the playstation 3 instead of being developed for the ps3 from scratch.  That is why you see that.  Believe me the xbox cannot hang with the ps3 in the graphics department.  Companies are just trying to cut costs and corners especially on games already finished for the xbox but want a version for ps3 money.

Have fun playing those abundance of HD DVDs on your XBOX lol...ill continue with my Blu Ray DVDS ;)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 04:13:00 PM »
Have fun playing those abundance of HD DVDs on your XBOX lol...ill continue with my Blu Ray DVDS ;)

FYI, XBox 360 was not stupid enough to integrate a HiDef player in its GAME CONSOLE!!!!  Stupid Sony, the father of Play Station quit over that mistake.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 04:29:54 PM »

FYI, XBox 360 was not stupid enough to integrate a HiDef player in its GAME CONSOLE!!!!  Stupid Sony, the father of Play Station quit over that mistake.

That "mistake" is the reason why Sony controls the new medium for movies.  So it looks like the only real idiots are Microsoft and the father of the Sony Playstation at this point.

jemagee

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 04:33:34 PM »
Bungie was suppossed to announce a new Halo game but their publisher barred them from doing so.

Bungie doesn't make Halo games any more...if i recall correctly, that was part of the deal with leaving microsoft.

That "mistake" is the reason why Sony controls the new medium for movies.  So it looks like the only real idiots are Microsoft and the father of the Sony Playstation at this point.

the 'new medium' for movies that really isn't catching on cause it's still GROSSLY too expensive on a per movie basis?  Upsampling DVDs players do the job for 1/2-1/3 the price well enough for most people, and the cost of a DVD is much better than the cost of a blu-ray disc...blu-ray is years from dominating the market and most likely won't until the current generation of machines is over, so microsoft integrates blu-ray into their next machine (the 720?) if they want, and doesn't have such a giant price point.

Sony has mishandled this generation of games in so many different ways it's kind of sad...i own an xbox 360 and player very rarely, but from what i've read, uber long cut scenes and melodrama are what MSG4 is all about, and then something about watching the credits ruining the entire game :)

Can I just say that I'd really like casual gaming to end...and soon

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 04:46:22 PM »
and doesn't have such a giant price point.

EXACTLY.   Sony totally missed the target in that regard.  I am not against having that feature in the PS3, it just drives the price way too high.  That is why I call Sony idiots, they went from DOMINATING the game market to THIRD place.  That is why the Father of the PS3 quit, he knew Sony blew it big time with the inclusion of the Blu-Ray player into their GAME console.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 04:54:06 PM »
Bungie doesn't make Halo games any more...if i recall correctly, that was part of the deal with leaving microsoft.

They still work on the game.  They left Microsoft so they could be their own company but they still work on the Halo games.

the 'new medium' for movies that really isn't catching on cause it's still GROSSLY too expensive on a per movie basis?  Upsampling DVDs players do the job for 1/2-1/3 the price well enough for most people, and the cost of a DVD is much better than the cost of a blu-ray disc...blu-ray is years from dominating the market and most likely won't until the current generation of machines is over, so microsoft integrates blu-ray into their next machine (the 720?) if they want, and doesn't have such a giant price point.

The numbers released say otherwise and that is why a lot of companies jumped to BR.  The DVD format war just ended a few months ago and players are still expensive.  That still doesn't change the fact that Sony controls the next generation format that people ARE switching to.  Just because it didn't happen right away doesn't mean HD DVD will magically come back.

Sony didn't handle MGS4..the company that put it out did.  Not quite sure how Sony is blamed for that one.  They did not create the game.

Can I just say that I'd really like casual gaming to end...and soon

Personally I like certain casual games especially when a bunch of people are around.  I feel as if the XBOX360 and PS3 are great for sitting by yourself or with one friend to battle it out in Hi Def....but when it comes to an entire group of people of all ages that Wii really does kick rear end.  I personally think its overhyped and not something I would play like crazy as a gamer but it does serve a purpose.

As for the price of the PS3..its 400 bucks when the PS2 first came out, it was very pricey as well.  350 bucks if I remember correctly.  Playstation 1 when it first came out was 300 bucks.  The "tag" on it wasn't high considering you got a hi def dvd player out of it, it had a hard drive, part of the price includes FREE internet play (ahem XBOX live).

jemagee

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 05:01:37 PM »
Sony didn't handle MGS4..the company that put it out did.  Not quite sure how Sony is blamed for that one.  They did not create the game.

Sony's the one who kept hyping it even though it was two years after launch...Sony just hasn't had enough hit games since the release of PS3 and more than one developer has criticized the PS3 development kit and set up as being too difficult, heck Madden had a better framerate on the 360 (60) than PS3 (30) because of development issues...

I thought Bungie left Halo to Microsoft but go to keep the Halo wars idea?  There's a listing in game store catalogues for something called 'halo blue' this fall so that's probably what they were announcing, bungie even has a little 'press release' on their web site right now about the issue with their distributor.

XBOX live gets praise from most sectors for everything it does (though someone to smack the homophobic teen age idiots around would be nice)...but for the games I play, the games i like to play, the xbox 360 has had more GOOD to GREAT games than the PS3 and the only exclusive game i really felt 'shucks' on was Resistance, but gears of war was fun looking, plus if it doesn't suck, the mythology behind too human really piques my interest

I was watching G4 last night realizing that they do a better job of getting good looking women who seem like they know what they are talking about than ESPN>..that's kind of a shame

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 05:11:40 PM »
Sony's the one who kept hyping it even though it was two years after launch...Sony just hasn't had enough hit games since the release of PS3 and more than one developer has criticized the PS3 development kit and set up as being too difficult, heck Madden had a better framerate on the 360 (60) than PS3 (30) because of development issues...

Again that has to do with porting and trying to cut corners.  It is easier to make games for the 360 and at one point the development kit for the ps3 was real expensive.  They dropped the price and they have a bunch of quality games coming out.

I thought Bungie left Halo to Microsoft but go to keep the Halo wars idea?  There's a listing in game store catalogues for something called 'halo blue' this fall so that's probably what they were announcing, bungie even has a little 'press release' on their web site right now about the issue with their distributor.

Bungie left Microsoft before Halo3 came out I thought?  Then they did a joint venture or whatever you want to call it to release it...

XBOX live gets praise from most sectors for everything it does (though someone to smack the homophobic teen age idiots around would be nice)...but for the games I play, the games i like to play, the xbox 360 has had more GOOD to GREAT games than the PS3 and the only exclusive game i really felt 'shucks' on was Resistance, but gears of war was fun looking, plus if it doesn't suck, the mythology behind too human really piques my interest

Im not saying xbox live sucks, its cool...just you have to pay for it.  While its only 60 bucks for the year it is 0 for the ps3 and you can jump online right away to play with anyone.  For me that doesn't matter but for my good friend who doesnt get to play online often isnt turned off to it because he pays for a service he rarely uses.  GTAIV online is awesome for anyone who hasn't played it yet.

You do realize that like 95% of the games that come out on Xbox come out on ps3 right?  This whole 'one doesnt have any games' talk is dated and doesn't make sense.  Resistence was an awesome game and Resistence 2 blows it out of the water.  Warhawk is VERY fun online.  I didn't buy the ps3 for exlusives really, I bought it because I have a crap loud of Sony games, wanted a blu ray player, and feel like its hardware will last longer then the xbox 360s.  At the end of the day they share most titles.

Have you seen LittleBigPlanet?  Very odd game from the way they describe it but the trailers they showed at E3 for it make me super excited for it. 

I was watching G4 last night realizing that they do a better job of getting good looking women who seem like they know what they are talking about than ESPN>..that's kind of a shame

Isnt that the truth!!!  :D

G4 is an awesome channel in general.  There is this stupid cartoon that looks like an NES game on there called 'Code Monkeys' that I find so stupid its makes my eyes tear up from laughter.  Plus if you guys have never  seen this Ninja Warrior show or Bonzai Basuki you are missing out!

jemagee

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 05:25:49 PM »
Unbetable Banzuke is funny...those whacky japanese...i think i draw the line at hurl...i must admit i don't like the new format of x-play that much.

I heard of little big planet when it was announced at E3 last year - seems interesting - just so i'm not getting confused, is that the one where you paint stuff?

As I understand it, there's a lot more to xbox live than JUST playing coop online versus PS3 which is pretty much just the playing right?

that 5% of games that don't come out on the PS3, that's where i usually fall, like assassins creed wasn't original for the PS3, I think Too Human is an xbox exclusive as well...additionally, i can't justify owning two systems since i don't play that much, my sisters bought me the 360 for my birthday last year so it's a good deal. 

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 05:36:03 PM »
Unbetable Banzuke is funny...those whacky japanese...i think i draw the line at hurl...i must admit i don't like the new format of x-play that much.

I heard of little big planet when it was announced at E3 last year - seems interesting - just so i'm not getting confused, is that the one where you paint stuff?

As I understand it, there's a lot more to xbox live than JUST playing coop online versus PS3 which is pretty much just the playing right?

that 5% of games that don't come out on the PS3, that's where i usually fall, like assassins creed wasn't original for the PS3, I think Too Human is an xbox exclusive as well...additionally, i can't justify owning two systems since i don't play that much, my sisters bought me the 360 for my birthday last year so it's a good deal. 

Oh ya owning two systems is just not worth it.  There are things I like about the xbox but Im not going to go buy one.  I don't play my PS3 as much as I wish I could even.

Xbox Live has movies, games, chat....PSN has all the same things as well.  They really are the same thing except MS makes money on it and Sony doesn't.

Have you ever seen that game online called magic crayon or magic something?  You draw objects to move a ball around to a flag...it's similiar in puzzle style to that.  Except instead of drawing objects you have to manipulate ones that are in the level to get to the goal.  Watch the E3 trailer of it if you get a chance.  I was confused like you were until I saw it.

And yea i dont like the weird stuff they do something but the stilts challenge, the mountain biking challenge, and the helicopter parts of Banzuke are cool.