Author Topic: Sacramento Kings and other important JoMal things you want to know.....  (Read 11109 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
As for Miller, he just had possibly the best year of his career, right after having his worst. He started a vigorous workout regiment last summer that lost him 25 pounds and added at least three inches to his vertical leap, which now means he can actually leap three inches high. Though his method of relaxing after his workouts would, you might think, ADD some of that lost weight back on from the munchies, he remains secure at the post for now.

Well before the pot problems it would seem that a team that really has no shot of contending soon and a young guy in the back ground that trading miller NOW (or even last season) would be ideal...his value is high but you aren't going to contend while he's under contract?

My guess is that Miller will remain a King until Hawes can be the full time starter - probably through this year. After that, you are correct in that the Kings either move him or he just won't be resigned.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
Denver needs to include Linas Kleiza, their third year SF, or Petrie will not make a deal with them. The rest of any deal would be for matching salaries and that would be about it.

Durring the Lakers/Denver series he was the Denver player I most coveted.

My 'other' important news is that my wife has almost finished her chemo and will begin her radiation treatment in about three weeks, which goes on for 7 weeds, five times a week. While my nephew has come to calling her Sinead O'Conner, I have nicknamed her Uncle Festus. For some reason, she likes his nickname better then mine. I just can't figure out whemen.

Hope to continue to hear good news on this front.

Kleiza killed the Kings in one game in particular last year, hitting the gamewinner with no time on the clock.

And thanks for the sentiment. While the chemo has not been so bad the last three sessions, the white blood cell shot makes her bones ache for days afterwards. Because of that, after her last chemo session a week from Monday, she is opting not to get the shot later in the week, so this should be the last one of those she has to endure.   
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

jemagee

The Kings have been trying to convert Douby to point guard since he was drafted. The problem there is that Quincy actually started a bit late playing basketball. I think he only had one year of high school ball prior to college. While a natural shooter, point guards are instinctive and if you do not have a tendancy for that position, it seems unlikely you can really learn it. He also has yet to master the ballhandling duties that PG's need to have. Defensively, his long arms and quick hands enable him to be very good, though.

Please to be telling this to Ed Stefanski and the Philadlephia Sixers vis a vis Louis Williams :)

Who is actually available next off season, aren't marion and odom two of the bigger name?  Could the kings justify sitting on massive cap space until 2010 and hope to lure one of the big 3 (two of him i think are over rated to varying degrees)...when they'd have to go up against New York, hell possibly the clippers try to make a splash and the respective teams of the big 3 being able to offer more money?

Sacramento isn't exactly a 'destination spot' in terms of profile. 

And aren't the maloffs still trying to move that team to vegas while holding the city hostage for a new stadium?

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
Please to be telling this to Ed Stefanski and the Philadlephia Sixers vis a vis Louis Williams :)

Who is actually available next off season, aren't marion and odom two of the bigger name?  Could the kings justify sitting on massive cap space until 2010 and hope to lure one of the big 3 (two of him i think are over rated to varying degrees)...when they'd have to go up against New York, hell possibly the clippers try to make a splash and the respective teams of the big 3 being able to offer more money?

Sacramento isn't exactly a 'destination spot' in terms of profile. 

And aren't the maloffs still trying to move that team to vegas while holding the city hostage for a new stadium?

Teams are always trying to do this. How many times is it successful? But Douby can play, no question. His shooting ability is right there, and he is doing great this summer league. But are we talking five-six years down the road before he comes through? Long time to wait.

The contracts of Miller, Sharif, and Thomas all expire after 2009/10. If Sharif retires, that would be $6.6 million available then, or that plus the $6.2 million owed him this upcoming year. Trading Thomas sends his $16 million away, and Miller is owed $25.5 or so. All told, by 2009/10 these combined contracts would free up over $27 million for that summer's free agent frenzy. If any of them get traded for guys whose contract expire after THIS season, it moves up the timetable.     

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Jomal, good to hear your wife is doing as well as can be.  Hope to hear more good news from you about that. 

Maybe you can call her "Dr. Evil"  I don't think that would be as harsh as your nickname for her.  lol.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Well smart drafting and trading and surveying the land wouldn't be called completely luck...the kings haven't been contenders for a while and yet they held on to their players too long, i mean they gave away mike bibby didn't they?  Brad Miller should have been moved a while ago as well.

I wonder if Petrie suffers from the 'believe my own hype' situation too much...i remember people thinking that petrie got one over on the sixers in the Webber deal and i was like, hell, worse comes to worse the sixers got the better contract out of it.

Smart drafting to me is finding those role players/diamond in the rough later in the draft.  Landing a top pick is luck to me, as you need a lottery ball to do so.  You are not likely to get a cornerstone type piece out of the top 5 and MAYBE top 10.

As for Brad Miller not leaving...why would he?  Northern California has some of the best marijuana on the planet lol
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Smart drafting to me is finding those role players/diamond in the rough later in the draft.  Landing a top pick is luck to me, as you need a lottery ball to do so.  You are not likely to get a cornerstone type piece out of the top 5 and MAYBE top 10.

?????Mmmmmmkay Elgin Baylor..........you have a point.....I think...  ???
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
Hey JoMal, glad to hear that your wife is improving.  

Must say I was surprised to see Udrih signed.  Admittedly I didn't see much of the Kings this year but when I did he was not impressive.  Of course I don't know how old he is either so perhaps he hasn't even entered his prime yet.
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
Hey JoMal, glad to hear that your wife is improving.  

Must say I was surprised to see Udrih signed.  Admittedly I didn't see much of the Kings this year but when I did he was not impressive.  Of course I don't know how old he is either so perhaps he hasn't even entered his prime yet.

Beno is 26. And he actually did a better job last year then Bibby was doing. He got pretty good at penetrating the lane and passing out, but if he shot the ball, he usually made it. I was getting tired of watching Bibby drive the lane and try to force up a shot that invariably go shoved back in his face.

And yes, my wife is in better spirits, now that chemo is winding down, but we won't know HOW she is really doing until later on.

jemagee

Beno was over paid :)

You are likely to do so if you are SMART

Carlos Boozer
Gilbert Areanas
Tony Parker
Manu Ginobli
Thaddeus Young - not a top 10 pick - but fabulous upside...and if that draft were reseeded he'd probably go top 5

There are always good to great values later in the draft cause you still have idiots out there like the clippers or...with the 8th pick the toronto raptors draft rafael araujo...

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Beno was over paid :)

You are likely to do so if you are SMART

Carlos Boozer
Gilbert Areanas
Tony Parker
Manu Ginobli
Thaddeus Young - not a top 10 pick - but fabulous upside...and if that draft were reseeded he'd probably go top 5

There are always good to great values later in the draft cause you still have idiots out there like the clippers or...with the 8th pick the toronto raptors draft rafael araujo...

Would you consider having an abundance of quality players in the draft the same year you have a top 10 pick luck?  Cuz I can't think of a corner piece type player who came out of this draft that was 8,9,10,11,12....

jemagee

Would you consider having an abundance of quality players in the draft the same year you have a top 10 pick luck?  Cuz I can't think of a corner piece type player who came out of this draft that was 8,9,10,11,12....

Oh, I can, let's revisit this in about 3-4 years and we'll talk about the 16th pick in this draft

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
Now the Dallas Mavericks have entered the Artest bidding game. Their offer, though, is weak. Jerry Stackhouse and Brandon Bass for Ron, straight up.

The Kings want Josh Howard.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Now the Dallas Mavericks have entered the Artest bidding game. Their offer, though, is weak. Jerry Stackhouse and Brandon Bass for Ron, straight up.

So does Brad Miller....he needs a smoking partner.

JoMal why does it seem like the Maloof's haven't really pony'd up any large sums of money since they gave Webber that massive contract back in, what was it?  2000? 2001?

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email

So does Brad Miller....he needs a smoking partner.

JoMal why does it seem like the Maloof's haven't really pony'd up any large sums of money since they gave Webber that massive contract back in, what was it?  2000? 2001?

Because they gave Webber that massive contract back in 2000/2001.

Apparently they talk all the time to Petrie about fiscal responsibility in doing long term deals. They drew the line. My guess, once they have cap space and the right free agent sitting out there, they put up some better money.