Author Topic: Sacramento Kings and other important JoMal things you want to know.....  (Read 11103 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
The King's off-season is starting to look like "Let's Make a Deal".

Essentially, Ron Artest will be playing elsewhere next season. Many League GM's are not shy in saying to Geoff Petrie, "Don't bother calling", but others are on the phone and Geoff is putting his offer down as clear - any deal for Ron Artest must include Kenny Thomas, or no deal will happen. Kenny has his bags packed and is working out like crazy so as to make himself worthy for his soon to be new home, wherever it might be.

So far, the Lakers are still the front runners. Denver, who made a huge push for Artest this past February, also has expressed interest still, and the third team is the Miami Heat.

What Jackson expects from the volatile Artest is a mystery. Can anyone see him learning the Triangle? Artest plays "Ronnie-ball" only, and while it is effective, it is not close to anything as structured as the Triangle and never will be. He also wants to have the ball on offense. Does Kobe really think he would share with him? I may be wrong, but there is something odd about the Lakers interest in a guy who would make the Shaquille O'Neal-Kobe Bryant feud look like a Mouseketeer spat once he and Kobe can't find common ground.

Denver needs to include Linas Kleiza, their third year SF, or Petrie will not make a deal with them. The rest of any deal would be for matching salaries and that would be about it.

The Miami deal is rumored to require the presence of Shawn Marion. Ummm.

The Knicks have also expressed an interest in acquiring home-towner Artest, but refuse to part with David Lee, so Petrie won't take their calls.

What is fairly clear about all of this is that Petrie will trade Artest only on his terms and is willing to wait out other teams "desparate" for a player of Ron's abilities, or let Ron leave via free agency next summer, which certainly would be a less attractive alternative, though possible. 

As for the summer league play, Jason Thompson, who was called a "reach" by the basketball pundits when Petrie drafted him out of Rider University at #12 last month, is showing he belongs in the NBA. Whether he will be an "elite" power forward is unclear. But he is big, fast, strong, and athletic. That gives the Kings something to work with there. He also is coachable, and has the desire. He came to the NBA as a senior out of college, which for some reason has become something of a negative knock on rookies, like they must not be very good if they stayed in college for four years to get a stupid degree. All three of the Kings' picks this year are therefore stupid and questionable NBA talents. 

Sean Singletary, the King's first of two second round picks, is a point guard who averaged 19 points and 5 assists as a senior at Virginia. He looks pretty good at the summer league play also and will back up Beno Udrih at the point this season. The third pick is Patrick Ewing Jr. A solid defender, he is the lone pick who is not showing much during the summer league and has yet to score in two games, or rebound much, though he gets about 30 minutes of play per game so far.

One last note. Sharif Abdur-Rahim, who has worked hard to rehabilitate his twice operated on right knee, looks to be done. The Kings are looking for him to retire. It would free up some money for the Kings, who need the cap space, plus his salary is insured, so he would get his money and the Kings would not be hurt by him retiring in their pocketbook. Everyone in the organization came to like Sharif quite a bit. He also is great in the community. While I never found him to be a 'winner' on the court, his professionalism has been remarkable.

My 'other' important news is that my wife has almost finished her chemo and will begin her radiation treatment in about three weeks, which goes on for 7 weeds, five times a week. While my nephew has come to calling her Sinead O'Conner, I have nicknamed her Uncle Festus. For some reason, she likes his nickname better then mine. I just can't figure out whemen.

Our trip to Greece and Turkey was terrific. We toured many of the best Greek ruins out on the Peloponnese Peninsula, including Olympia, Corinth, Mykinos, and Epidavros, then took a cruise to visit Istanbul, Pelos, Rhodes, Crete, and Kuradasa, which is near Epheusus. Great little tour.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Denver needs to include Linas Kleiza, their third year SF, or Petrie will not make a deal with them. The rest of any deal would be for matching salaries and that would be about it.

Durring the Lakers/Denver series he was the Denver player I most coveted.

My 'other' important news is that my wife has almost finished her chemo and will begin her radiation treatment in about three weeks, which goes on for 7 weeds, five times a week. While my nephew has come to calling her Sinead O'Conner, I have nicknamed her Uncle Festus. For some reason, she likes his nickname better then mine. I just can't figure out whemen.

Hope to continue to hear good news on this front.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
but there is something odd about the Lakers interest in a guy who would make the Shaquille O'Neal-Kobe Bryant feud look like a Mouseketeer spat once he and Kobe can't find common ground.

Funny . . . I thought it WAS exactly like a Mouseketeer spat.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 02:17:11 PM by Ted »
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
but there is something odd about the Lakers interest in a guy who would make the Shaquille O'Neal-Kobe Bryant feud look like a Mouseketeer spat once he and Kobe can't find common ground.

Funny . . . I thought is WAS exactly like a Mouseketeer spat.

Dear Allah, where is Dan to review that sentence?  Don't you work in publishing or something?  I thought you wrote books or something, maybe you meant you "rode" books, like on that little cart to pass out to all those brainy spellers?
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

jemagee

Rumors I've read:
that the lakers need an upgrade defensively at the three
Kobe and Artest are friends
Phil thinks that he can ge through to anyone with the right book (For ronny i still think it's the right dosage or ritalin or adderall)
Thomas, while not as good and too expensive, would fill the hole left by ronny turiaf, assuming he remembers how to not suck

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Rumors I've read:
that the lakers need an upgrade defensively at the three
Kobe and Artest are friends
Phil thinks that he can ge through to anyone with the right book (For ronny i still think it's the right dosage or ritalin or adderall)
Thomas, while not as good and too expensive, would fill the hole left by ronny turiaf, assuming he remembers how to not suck

Second hand info, so I guess you can call it a rumor.  PJ LOVES the challange of making something out of nothing in regards to players.  PJ really took alot of time and interest in Kwame, he just seems to relish lost causes.

I think it's a mistake to trade Odom for Artest with Ariza in the wings.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
I think a deal involving getting Kleiza to the Kings would be great.  He can shoot, he plays hard, and he is young.  Not exactly a corner stone of a franchise but neither was Ron Artest.  If he is going to leave anyways might as well get a shooter out of it right?

JoMal we alreay discussed the Kobe vs Ron Ron battle that is not an *IF* but a *WHEN* if the Lakers do in fact pull the trigger.  Dumb move if they do.  I really don't see it happening.  Especially since I think Ariza is an upgrade at the 3 defenisvely that we did not have for most of the season and when he did come back was not in shape/had timming.  I don't want to see Odom go and lose what he brings just to get someone who plays a notch or two above Ariza.  Just doesn't make sense.

Rahim has been done for about 2 years.  How many games has he actually played in over the last two?  I had him on my fantasy team 2 seasons ago and it was a major bust.  I, like so many others, thought 'he's got talent and will break out soon enough' only for it to never happen. 

The Maloof were out here this past weekend throwing one of the biggest "shin digs" ive seen in Orange County/Costa Mesa in forever.  The entire valet parking lot at an area I often eat dinner at was all 200k sports cars.  Which leads me to my question....  Can I ask why it never seems like they've gone out of their way to offer big bucks to a player in a really long time?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 01:15:18 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

I think a deal involving getting Kleiza to the Kings would be great.  He can shoot, he plays hard, and he is young.  Not exactly a corner stone of a franchise but neither was Ron Artest.  If he is going to leave anyways might as well get a shooter out of it right?

Do the kings have anyone you could consider cornerstone of a franchise?  I mean Kevin Martin is the closest but I don't think he attains that level...i think the kings have some serious long term issues  because (like the sixers) they realized too late when they weren't exactly contending any more.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email

Do the kings have anyone you could consider cornerstone of a franchise?  I mean Kevin Martin is the closest but I don't think he attains that level...i think the kings have some serious long term issues  because (like the sixers) they realized too late when they weren't exactly contending any more.

Not a single player comes to mind.  The thing is they don't have much to offer to get that type of player.  Ron Ron is not the type of player you can barter to land someone like that.  Either the Maloof have to throw out the big big big bucks at a FA or they have to draft someone.  Pretty much like your Sixers they need to get really lucky and land someone like Brand while letting Kevin Martin develop much like the Sixers have let Igs develop.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

Well smart drafting and trading and surveying the land wouldn't be called completely luck...the kings haven't been contenders for a while and yet they held on to their players too long, i mean they gave away mike bibby didn't they?  Brad Miller should have been moved a while ago as well.

I wonder if Petrie suffers from the 'believe my own hype' situation too much...i remember people thinking that petrie got one over on the sixers in the Webber deal and i was like, hell, worse comes to worse the sixers got the better contract out of it.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email

Yeah, they are still looking for that cornerstone.

While Martin is a talent, he is not a leader. Udrih can lead, but he has yet to prove to be a top tier point guard, though Petrie thinks his best years are ahead of him (which is why he paid him what he did).

Odom could be a mini-cornerstone, along side those two, if Artest were sent to the Lakers for him. No idea who the Nuggets would give up now to get Artest. Draft picks, maybe, but Denver's #1 would be higher then the Kings next season. Miami and Marion is something to thiink about.

As it is, the Kings are loaded with pieces but not substance. Other then Martin, our other recent draft picks are not superstars in the making, though all are good players. Francisco Garcia really should be better by now. He has what it takes and it should be showing up on the court. Spencer Hawes is going to be a very good center. His attitude is there and he is beefing up in the weight room as he develops a sky hook he wants to become his goto shot. Quincy Douby is something of a mystery. When on, he lights up the scoreboard, but where do you play a 6'3" shooting guard in today's NBA? Off the bench and against only "certain" opponents.  

Artest was the star of this squad, so the Kings would require some kind of player like that in any trade, so Odom or Marion would make the most sense.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

jemagee

When on, he lights up the scoreboard, but where do you play a 6'3" shooting guard in today's NBA?

You could play him at point guard, i mean he's got 4 inches on iverson :)

It's nice to say odom and marion would be cornerstones, but since they both expire after the season no guarantee they stay anyway :)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
Well smart drafting and trading and surveying the land wouldn't be called completely luck...the kings haven't been contenders for a while and yet they held on to their players too long, i mean they gave away mike bibby didn't they?  Brad Miller should have been moved a while ago as well.

I wonder if Petrie suffers from the 'believe my own hype' situation too much...i remember people thinking that petrie got one over on the sixers in the Webber deal and i was like, hell, worse comes to worse the sixers got the better contract out of it.

The Bibby trade was addition by subtraction. Petrie made the deal to rid the Kings of the balance of Mike's contract. The players did not matter so much, though they plan to give Sheldon Williams the chance to prove his draft spot at #5 was as least NBA worthy. 

As for Miller, he just had possibly the best year of his career, right after having his worst. He started a vigorous workout regiment last summer that lost him 25 pounds and added at least three inches to his vertical leap, which now means he can actually leap three inches high. Though his method of relaxing after his workouts would, you might think, ADD some of that lost weight back on from the munchies, he remains secure at the post for now.

The Webber deal was going to cost the Kings plenty and at the time Petrie knew it. Kenny Thomas is trying to play PF in the NBA with a SF body. Not likely that is going to change. But the big mistake that Geoff made wasn't trading Webber for salary cap problems; it was compounding those problems by signing Abdur-Rahim long term at the same time. His knee was questionable even back then and he only became available to the Kings because the Nets checked him out and said no to his agent because of it. 

jemagee

As for Miller, he just had possibly the best year of his career, right after having his worst. He started a vigorous workout regiment last summer that lost him 25 pounds and added at least three inches to his vertical leap, which now means he can actually leap three inches high. Though his method of relaxing after his workouts would, you might think, ADD some of that lost weight back on from the munchies, he remains secure at the post for now.

Well before the pot problems it would seem that a team that really has no shot of contending soon and a young guy in the back ground that trading miller NOW (or even last season) would be ideal...his value is high but you aren't going to contend while he's under contract?

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
When on, he lights up the scoreboard, but where do you play a 6'3" shooting guard in today's NBA?

You could play him at point guard, i mean he's got 4 inches on iverson :)

It's nice to say odom and marion would be cornerstones, but since they both expire after the season no guarantee they stay anyway :)

The Kings have been trying to convert Douby to point guard since he was drafted. The problem there is that Quincy actually started a bit late playing basketball. I think he only had one year of high school ball prior to college. While a natural shooter, point guards are instinctive and if you do not have a tendancy for that position, it seems unlikely you can really learn it. He also has yet to master the ballhandling duties that PG's need to have. Defensively, his long arms and quick hands enable him to be very good, though.

Their contracts are part of the intrique. If the Kings can get some cap space by next summer, they will address that cornerstone issue then. This upcoming season is not being played with the idea the Kings will be competitive, just learning.