Poll

Who should be coach of the year

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Coach of the year  (Read 2855 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Coach of the year
« on: April 06, 2004, 05:55:39 PM »
Yes I left off
Popovich
Jackson
Adelman
Larry Brown
Lawrence Frank
Don Nelson
Those above are the best candidates
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Coach of the year
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 07:02:29 PM »
IMO the top 3 are pretty much equal in my opinion.

I'd probably have to go with Porter tho.  That team was pretty much a consensus to be among the worst teeams in the league to start the year.

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Coach of the year
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 09:14:49 AM »
Agree with dabods. Props to Hubie though, as old as he is, he's able to relate, or at least, hire assistants to relate to his players. Big props.
Paul

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
Coach of the year
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 10:22:17 AM »
I kind of voted already on the other thread. I vote for Hubie.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Coach of the year
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2004, 03:12:07 PM »
I voted for Jerry Sloan.

The Utah team won half of its games.  I said 25 wins would be pushing it for them, and secretly, I hoped they'd make it to 20.  It wasn't a major acquisition.  It wasn't the health of his top players.  It wasn't having a top-caliber player that carried the team.

Hubie had the fortune of acquiring a few good players, and reasonable health.  Minnesota did it on the strength of its acquisitions.

Essentially, I think there are only four real contenders for the award:  Sloan, Hubie Brown, Saunders, and Carlisle.  I vote for Sloan, but I could understand a vote for any of those guys.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Coach of the year
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2004, 04:25:42 PM »
Essentially, I think there are only four real contenders for the award:  Sloan, Hubie Brown, Saunders, and Carlisle.  I vote for Sloan, but I could understand a vote for any of those guys.
Carlisle doesn't belong....unless you want to include Pop, PJ and Adelman.  All Carlisle did was prove how bad Isiah was at coaching.  Thomas led Indy to a great record last year before screwing them up after the break.  Carlisle took the most talented team in the East and added stability.

To me it is a 2 horse race....Sloan & Brown mainly because of the press they have received.  The #3 choice IMO is Porter.  He has taken a team that was projected to be as bad or worse than Utah and has them in the #4 seed.   Their record is only 1 game worse than the Jazz.  And before pointing out the differences in the conferences....it only amounts to 26 games during the season.  Everybody plays everybody else twice which accounts for 56 games.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
Coach of the year
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2004, 05:00:45 PM »
I voted for Jerry Sloan.

The Utah team won half of its games.  I said 25 wins would be pushing it for them, and secretly, I hoped they'd make it to 20.  It wasn't a major acquisition.  It wasn't the health of his top players.  It wasn't having a top-caliber player that carried the team.

Hubie had the fortune of acquiring a few good players, and reasonable health.  Minnesota did it on the strength of its acquisitions.

I haven't posted on this because I felt like my vote would be a homer pick. Maybe it still is, but here's my reasoning.

Sloan is the coach of the year.

WITH Harpring, the Jazz were expected to win 15-25 games by most analysts. Stein on ESPN had the Jazz winning TEN games. It is absurd how far the Jazz have surpassed everyone's expectations. Most people expected this team to challenge for the worst record ever. And yet somehow they're a few games from the playoffs and have locked up a winning record. In considering this debate, it might help to break down the starting lineup.

PG: Carlos Arroyo
First starting job. Only two years of partial playing time experience. Most playing time was about 10-15 minutes per game in Stockton's last year.

SG: DeShawn Stevenson/Raja Bell: Stevenson was not very good. Everyone complains that Jerry Sloan didn't let DeShawn break down his man enough. There's a reason. DeShawn can't break down his man. He is slow for his size and has a weak handle. Bell is a tough, if not brainy, player with a decent mid-range jumper, but has little speed and average one-on-one ability.

SF: Gordan Giricek/Michael Ruffin: Gordan has fit in nicely with the Jazz as a spot up shooter. He is quite good coming off screens, but was no where near this effective with the Magic. Ruffin is a tough rebounder and is strong for his size. In fact he put Shaq on the floor quite nicely once. But when he is in, the Jazz are going 4 on 5 on offense.

PF: Kirilenko: The Jazz' one real star. He's no superstar although. Probably shouldn't have been an all-star IMO, but I'm glad he was selected. Great at rebounding and defense, okay on offense. Is developing a jumper slowly.

C: Ostertag/Jarron Collins: Ostertag is a hunk of beef with half a brain. I've never seen an NBA player run around looking at the crowd so much. Not in the game mentally most of the time. Collins is solid, doesn't make a lot of mistakes and can hit a fifteen foot jumper.

The only player on this team who could start for another NBA team is Kirilenko. The rest are mere role players. In fact, given his diverse skills, Kirilenko should be a role player; a Scottie Pippen type support player for a big-time star. There are no franchise players on this team.

And yet they've beaten the cream of crop in the West this year (except for San An and Sacto.) They beat the T-Wolves twice, the Mavericks twice, the Kings, the Rockets, the Nuggets, the Trailblazers, the Lakers. I'd like to see how many of those teams the Bucks have beaten.

No doubt Porter has done a great job. But he's got better players with more experience, and one of the top rookies in the league, and he's in the East. Sloan has taken this group of literal nobodies and has taught them to expect to win against anyone.

The other thing that is so remarkable is that the Jazz have no one who can take over a game. The only way for them to win a tight game is to execute, and most of the time they execute rather than break down. To get a team of NBA players to buy into a system so deeply is great coaching.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Coach of the year
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2004, 09:22:14 AM »
To get a team of NBA players to buy into a system so deeply is great coaching.
If I said this about PJ or Pop I would be laughed off the board.

:ph34r:  
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Guest_Randy

Coach of the year
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2004, 10:29:20 AM »
To get a team of NBA players to buy into a system so deeply is great coaching.
If I said this about PJ or Pop I would be laughed off the board.

:ph34r:
We all know that PJ and Pop are good coaches -- but the question is are they the BEST coaches in the league (esp. this year).  I don't think so and I will share why:

PJ - PJ LOVES playing games and he does it as much against his team as he does for it.  If you watch him during a game, he shows his approach off the court as well.  Does he have a great system?  Absolutely (and he can thank Tex Winters for it).  Is he a great motivator?  Yes, one of the best in the game when he applies himself to the task.  I think he also is one of the best in the league in incorporating players and using them to the best of their abilities -- the proof of that is in the way that his past players have played under him but then flopped so completely when they have been given big contracts to go elsewhere (see Wennington, Longley, etc.).  IMO, PJ hasn't done everything that he can to make the Lakers the best that they can be this year.

Pop - Pop is a great defensive coach -- that has been long apparent.  What has always been the struggle in the past isn't his defense but his offense.  He has to prove that he can do more than dump the ball into TD to prove he belongs mention among the best coaches of the league this year.  And, IMO, he hasn't done that.  He does have talent on this team (although Spurs fans and the rest of NBA fans disagree on how deep this team is) in addition to TD -- Parker does a great job of running the offense -- he just needs to be encouraged to take it to the hole more and not rely on his outside shooting.  Manu isn't a very good shooter but he is a great creater and a very good defensive player -- in order for the Spurs to succeed, Pop has to allow Manu to create with the basketball.  Bowen isn't a great offensive player but left alone he can be a very strong spot-up shooter (and he gets those wide open looks with TD in the line-up).  Turk is a pretty good shooter and while I think he is hyped WAY too much, I did state at the beginning of the season that if the Spurs wanted him to reach his potential, Pop needed to put him in the starting line-up.  He is certainly reaching his potential since Pop has done this.  He isn't going to be a Peja, much less MJ, but he can play solid D and knock down the open shot from distance as well as mid-range.  Rose is as important to this team as having a second 7-footer and Horry is a great addition in a team that focuses on team defense.  

These two coaches have done a lot with the talent they have but Jerry Sloan (and to a lesser degree) Hubie Brown have done a lot more without that kind of talent.  Does it take a good coach to pull a team together from a talented group of players -- sure but it takes an even better coach to pull a team together to compete in the NBA when there isn't talent.  

I think a perfect example is Del Harris -- he is SUCH a worthless coach.  I think he is a great assistant but he doesn't belong in the NBA as a head coach.  He simply tried to beat the league with talent.  Jerry Sloan takes his team to another level without any significant talent -- and that is a greater accomplishment, IMO, than PJ and Pop taking teams of talented players and being the best in the NBA.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Coach of the year
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2004, 12:13:07 PM »
Gotta go with Hubie.....this team went from a joke to a team that even the big four in the west are saying 'We are playing the Grizz this week lets be on top of our game'

Sloan is a close second but really if Utah doesn't make the playoffs then he will not be up near Hubie at all.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2004, 12:14:01 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
Coach of the year
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2004, 04:40:31 PM »
And the COY goes to Hubie Brown. With Sloan a close second.

Is this board good or what? We mostly split on which one of these guys would win and they just about split the votes by the media, with Brown being picked by a hair.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."