Author Topic: I'm off to Africa  (Read 2775 times)

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
I'm off to Africa
« on: July 11, 2008, 08:54:50 PM »
I'll be gone for the next month re-uniting with my long lost extended family in Tunis, Tunisia.  

Just look near the Mediterranean for any of you Americans that happens to know where a globe is.  ;)  Don't know what the internet access will be like, so I figure I'd drop a line.  See you all on the flip side.  (<-- did I sound as cool as the Italian guy in Boondock Saints?)

. . . and no, contrary to what some may think, Reality has not run me off.  

WayOutWest did!! 8)
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

jemagee

Re: I'm off to Africa
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 09:03:43 PM »
I'm assuming cool in boondock saints is realtive to the rest of the cast of boondock saints only?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 09:09:05 PM »
Take some photos and enjoy yourself Skand!
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 09:30:01 PM »
Based on commercials I've seen they have mosquitos shaped just like people down there...careful

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 10:45:06 AM »
If...rather, when....you visit Carthage, be sure to take some pictures of the ancient harbor. I would love to see how it looks today.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 05:35:26 PM »
If...rather, when....you visit Carthage, be sure to take some pictures of the ancient harbor. I would love to see how it looks today.

Trust me, it looks a lot different from when you helped build it.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 06:12:32 PM »
Take care of yourself Skandery, they still have Pirates there!

Definitely at least as cool as the Italian in Boondock Saints.

jemagee

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 06:35:58 PM »
Dread Pirates?

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 07:48:24 PM »
Dread Pirates?

So are you Princess Buttercup?
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

jemagee

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 07:54:10 PM »
Anybody want a peanut?

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 07:09:51 PM »
He's headed to the Barbary coast.  You must know the Marines song, "From the Halls of Montezuma to the shores of Tripoli.  Tripoli is in Lybia on the Mediterranean Sea, adjacent to Tunisia.  The marines fought a great battle there to stop the Pirates from stealing American merchant cargo.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 11:19:38 AM »

Jealous?
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 12:05:50 PM »

Jealous?

Jealous of your ability to reach the age of a Sequoia?  Kinda.  I do think you are a coward for abandoning your post at the battle of "The 300".
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 12:35:13 PM »

Jealous?

Jealous of your ability to reach the age of a Sequoia?  Kinda.  I do think you are a coward for abandoning your post at the battle of "The 300".

It was a nature call. At my age, you just can't always time those things to accommodate the invasion of hoards of Persians. At least I left them something to think about as they ran through my pals.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2008, 09:30:36 PM »
I'm back . . . and I think I need a vacation!!

Delayed in Tunis, Cancelled and delayed overnight in Paris, and almost delayed in Atlanta before we were delayed on the taxiway of St. Louis.  Man, I Love Delta!!  >:(

JoMal, sadly I didn't have the time to see the ruins in Carthage or the ancient harbor.  Though I did see the 3rd largest Ancient Coliseum in the World and largest in Africa in El Jem, Tunisia.  I'll try to post a good photo.  Its seriously right out of Gladiator.

The family and the old homeland was great, though.
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."