Author Topic: Game Thread- Summer league- Game 5; 7/17 8PM Webcast  (Read 50385 times)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
Re: Game Thread- 7/11 Summer league
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2008, 09:14:43 PM »
NBA Summer League: Liveblogging Day 1

July 11, 2008 4:26 PM

By Maurice Brooks

The NBA Summer League is officially off and running with the Sixers and Warriors on the floor. This gives me a chance to get an up close and personal look at Philadelphia first-round pick Marreese Speights. His pro debut is off to a good start. He has been real active around the basket and after missing his first five shots, he has just rocked the rim three straight times as the Sixers have opened up a seven-point lead late in the second quarter.

Reminder, to those of you who can't make the trip to Las Vegas -- all of the games are being shown via webcast on NBA.com and 23 of the games can be seen on NBA TV.

Early observations from the opening game of the NBA Summer League:

Why is Golden State's C.J. Watson wearing a long-sleeve shirt under his jersey?

Maybe the Warriors should play all of their games at UNLV -- Marco Belinelli has already gotten a rise out of the fans by draining two long jumpers.

Although I don't have the official attendance numbers, there is a nice crowd in the building.

Bryon Russell -- yeah the one MJ shoved and the refs swallowed the whistle -- is in the crowd.

Halftime: Warriors 40, Sixers 38. Anthony Randolph is pacing Golden State with 16 points on 6-for-10 shooting, while Thaddeus Young has 11 on 4-of-7 for Philly.

Randolph is playing with a ton of confidence. He just knocked down a jumper he had no business making and he has pulled down four rebounds. Although he was just called for a charge, he has shown the ability to put the ball on the floor and get to the cup.

With just over four minutes left to play and the Warriors up six, they may as well clear the floor and let Randolph and Young play one-on-one. Randolph just came down and fed his teammate for an easy basket. Young responded on the other end by attacking the basket and drawing a foul.

They are tied for game high honors in points with 24 each.

Game one of 53 is in the books. The Warriors, behind 30 points and eight rebounds from Randolph, stopped the Sixers 96-89. Brandan Wright was also a bundle of energy for the Warriors, blocking four shots to go with seven rebounds and 17 points.

Even though they lost, the Sixers have to be pleased with what they saw from Young, who finished with 27 points, and Speights, who went 7-for-19 from the floor, but had an impressive line of 22 points and 13 rebounds.

Here is what Young had to say after the game.

On Brand: "He is not only a good player, but he is a good person. With his addition, we'll be a much better half-court team. He is going to make it easier for everyone else."

On Speights: "I thought he did well and was very aggressive. We made a good pick."

Speights wasn't available to the media after the game.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2008, 09:21:07 PM »
Box-Score.  Jason Smith with the unusual double-double-11 pts and 11 personal fouls.

http://www.nba.com/summerleague2008/games/boxscore.jsp?gameId=1520800001

jemagee

« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2008, 09:31:30 PM »
Did anyone actually watch the game yet?:)

jemagee

« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2008, 09:33:38 PM »
Even the summer league team is weak on the defensive glass :)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2008, 11:22:57 PM »
I watched the game. ;D

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2008, 11:29:37 PM »
Well...since you watched the game, whose game would you compare Speights to?

jemagee

« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2008, 11:01:48 AM »
Since you watched teh game how about what you saw and what looked relevant and what didn't?

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2008, 12:18:12 PM »
Can't really report all that much.  It was sometimes hard to tell who most of the players where aside from Thad, Young and Smith.  No commentary or replays.

Young:  Had the ball in his hands a ton.  Working on his handle.  Demonstrated a great first step and assortment of crossovers to get past his initial defender.  Broke lots of ankles, lots of gasps from the crowd- but its hard to know whether some moves would be called a carry in a real game.

Young also had a great knack for drawing contact with a herky jerky last step or spin near the rim.  Drives into defenders making him hard to block and hard not to foul.  Not so good at finishing when fouled, and got stripped a few times on his drives- although always blew by his initial defender.  Was going up against thin but athletic defenders at the rim (A. Randolph and B, Wright.)

Young played point forward well a few times, and passed well (no surprise) and hand a tight handle except on drives.  I think if he cradles the ball better on drives he won't get stripped.  Also hit some nice jumpers out to 3 pt range.  Slowish release but looks good leaving his hands (great form.)

Overall, young drew the most oohs and ahhs from the crowd.  Some amazing coast to coast rebound/drive/finishes as well as alley opp dunks and breakdown moves.  Looked very much like his Jordan Classic MVP performance, but just as sloppy too.  Overall, about everything you can hope for in this setting, but hard to know how this translates to whether he is ready to start at SF.  At very least certainly reaffirms his star potential at SF.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2008, 12:23:04 PM »
Smith:

Was going against defenders that were thinner, small, quicker and longer than him.  Failed to use his strength at all.  Short arms very apparent against long defenders like Randolp and Wright.  he took a late jump ball against one of them and was embarressed. 

Blocked, stripped and outjumped/quicked many times.  Unable to stay with players so much quicker than him (11 fouls!)  Looked frustrated and a bit intimidated, and seemed less explosive and less physical than even last years summer league.

Did hit a few feathery jumpers.  Also shot with a high release at times, but still shot on the way down, and was blocked on his jumper a few times.

Overall a disappointment- but its only Summer League and he drew very unfavorable match-up for a 7 footer.  I just would have liked to see him use his size to some sort of advantage. 

jemagee

« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2008, 12:26:35 PM »
Couldn't see speights? That sucks

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2008, 12:37:30 PM »
Speights:

Man is he big and built- physically resembled D. Howard out there playing with lithely built players like Randolph, Wright and Smith.  Speights looks bigger, taller, Longer, more explosive and much more imposing than Jason Smith.  Certainly looks like with a few pounds can play center.  Quick feet and runs well.  Not a gazelle like Thad/Randolph/Wright, but still quick for his size.  if those guys are sportscars, Speights was more of a Porshe Cayanne (high performance SUV.)

Quick feet and explosive on decisive drives to the hoop, but not necessarily a leaper- doesn't always finish with dunks when you think maybe he could.  Nice touch and fluid body control.  Good hands catching the ball, but lost the ball when he tried to make moves.  Drew fouls by making quick, decisive moves to the hoop off of good ball fakes.

Performed in spurts where he dominated physically (against smaller competition), and then went stretches where he made little impact.

His low post moves, although powerfull and often able to draw fouls, where very raw.  Stripped and stumbled a few times.  A very long way from ever being called craftty or skilled on the low block (nothing like Brand) and somewhat mechanical and single-minded on his moves. 

Just like the scouting reports- the pieces are all there, but a long way from being able to put it all together.  On the plus side, he seems big and strong enough to play effective NBA minutes at PF (maybe C) right away.  he will really benefit from going against Brand and Evans in practice.  I cant believe a guy with his physical talent was not taken higher- despite how raw he is.  But its impossible to say when he will be able to tap into his ability- but he definitely won't be a guy who is scoring off of his low moves anytime soon- even if the potential is there.  If this game is any in dication, for this year, it will be more scoring off of dunks and put backs.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2008, 12:39:27 PM »
Couldn't see speights? That sucks

Sorry, just hadn't gotten to him yet. 

I could see him, but he made his impact in quick bunches, and then was a non-factor for stretches.  i guess that sort of fits his profile- but this was only his first game, and he did put up big numbers.

jemagee

« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2008, 01:02:14 PM »
Did you happen to notice how he was on missed shots, getting rebounds, and such?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2008, 01:05:47 PM »
I am not too worried about Smith, he is not the kind of guy who will stand out in a summer league game.  Not a great one on one player from the perimeter, not a monster down low.  His athleticism and outside shooting are more of anlithe, quick PF's it is not surprising he could not match up.  He is a classic role player in that he brings some definite skills, but needs to be appropriately matched up to cover his weaknesses.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2008, 01:15:39 PM »
Did you happen to notice how he was on missed shots, getting rebounds, and such?

I was mostly watching Thad.  Speights seemed to either make an explosive put back dunk or miss.  He did not look relentless like Evans/Moses or polished like Brand.  Mostly he liked big, strong and quick (but not high flying.)  I was sort of surprised when I saw the box score- I didn't realize he scored so much- probably because he scored in bunches and I missed about 1/4 of the game.

Maybe they will put the archived game up soon.

There is another game tonight at 8PM EST.