Author Topic: How Much Is LouWill Worth?  (Read 5620 times)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
How Much Is LouWill Worth?
« on: July 09, 2008, 11:47:59 PM »
We've discussed Iguodala's value, Brand's value, Smith's value and now it's time to focus on Microwave Junior. What's a good deal (financially) for Lou? He's restricted so should we give him the cold shoulder and dare a team to offer him a 5 year deal for the full MLE? Should we give him something ABOVE the MLE? He's really hard to gauge right now but I think I'm hoping he somehow signs a 5 year/$25MIL deal.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: How Much Is LouWill Worth?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 11:49:13 PM »
Also.... like Iguodala, at what point would you stop talking about a long-term deal with him? He's not going to get anything more than the MLE on the open market so if he is demanding more than that... do you cut off negotiations?

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 12:01:25 AM »
I think we are lucky he hasn't yet shown he can start at PG- otherwise a guy with his skill and athletic ability would demand Ellis Numbers (starting at 8M+.)  I'm hoping somehow he signs a KK type deal starting at 4.5M, but all it takes is one interested GM and We'll be paying him the MLE (5.8M.)

I am biased, but I would give him the MLE- although I would rather sign him to a 6 year deal starting at 4.5M.

Either way, Lou has talent and a good head on his shoulders.  He will hopefully play on many winning teams and retire an icon- maybe even Andrew Toney status.  I would definitely match the MLE- but I am biased because for a while he was about the only thing on this team worth watching.

If Lou somehow can harness his talent and become a PG on a winning team (think of an Isiah like PG) then we would have one of the best bargain contracts at his position.

I am clearly a homer, because I watched these guys when we all thought they where years away.  Now I want to see Iguodala, Lou and Thad be Sixers for 10+ years and be there for a prolonged run.  I don't even get into parades- I'd be plenty happy with a 8-10 year run of 50-60 win seasons watching players I saw break in the league winning with an exciting Brand of basketball.

BTW- any use of Brand like I just did deserves to be mocked, but it came out unnintentionally.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 12:06:28 AM »
He deserves whatever he gets on the open market because we can't let him get away.  He's a passable backup PG and good undersized SG who is a very capable scorer from anywhere on the floor.  He's just as good a 6th man as Childress, albeit in a different role.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 12:26:22 AM »
He deserves whatever he gets on the open market because we can't let him get away.  He's a passable backup PG and good undersized SG who is a very capable scorer from anywhere on the floor.  He's just as good a 6th man as Childress, albeit in a different role.

I agree, I see him as someone who can be an impact player- which is hard to find in a reserve.  Insert him in when the team's offense is stagnant and he can potentially jumpstart the entire team- and not in a selfish WG type of way.

Offline Mozy-76er Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 07:50:17 AM »
I want Lou happy.  I'd be willing to go just over the MLE for $6 mi// 5 year deal.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 07:52:22 AM »
If I were him I might want a shorter contract with a little more per year.  He is just starting to come into his own.  A 3-4 year contract even at a reasonable number per year could give him security for life.  With his career trajectory still likely on an upward swing a shorter contract might be a calculated gamble, but if he really blossoms, develops into a PG or keeps improving his shooting, he can really cash in on the next contract.  There is always the risk of an injury in that scenario which would favor a longer deal if he's unwilling to take that risk.  The numbers you guys have thrown out sound appropriate and thank god the GM in Milwaukee can't bid above the MLE for him (or any other player for that matter).

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 08:02:25 AM »
I think I would be happy with him getting the MLE but as Skates said, I certainly could see him looking to sign a shorter deal or more likely, get a player's option on the end of the 3rd or 4th year.

Offline shadowTerp

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 08:34:36 AM »
I'm sure some team offers him the MLE... although I would love to see him sign about the same contact that Turiaf received (but I don't see that happening).  I can definitely see him taking only a 3 or 4 year deal, to get more money later (especially so that he can get what we've allocated to WG).

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 08:47:34 AM »
The great thing about him is that he is restricted. There aren't that many teams that want to use their MLE to begin with and how many of those want to use it on a restricted free agent? Does anyone actually think the Sixers wouldn't match? That being the case, if a team signed Lou to an offer sheet, the Sixers would/could wait the 7 days to match and by the time that's done... there will be no one left to use the MLE on and unlike cap space, it's not as though teams can then turn their attentions to trades with it.

HOWEVER, as we learned from Brand yesterday... do you really want to dick around with the players' emotions? Ed said he was in constant contact with Iguodala and Williams so he seems to know how to handle these things.

In Ed, I now trust.

Offline The Sixer Fixer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 10:02:29 AM »
I think Lou will be happy resigning here for say 3 years at something starting at a little less that the MLE.  The short contract will benefit him in that if he does become a starter, he will raise his value and not have to wait so long to be fairly compensated.  I also think he will take less money to stay here unless he is guaranteed a starting spot somewhere else.

I would offer a 3 year contract for about 16 mil (start it around 5 mil for next yr) with player options for the 4th and 5th year that would take it to about 4 yr/23 mil or 5 yr/30 mil.

jemagee

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 10:08:15 AM »
Teams were offering corey maggette the full MLE...i don't think Louis Williams after two years and only one solid year of consistent play is in the same category...Louis Williams probably is worth about 12-15 million dollars over the next 3 years, works for him works for the sixers, if he continues his elevation then he's worth more and the sixers get som cost certainty.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 10:40:44 AM »
Teams were offering Maggette the full MLE because it was the max they could offer. As we see, Maggette was worth $10MIL per season. Teams also offered Beno Udrih the full MLE. I can say with relative comfort that I would rather have Lou Williams than Beno.

jemagee

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 10:45:41 AM »
And I can say with my own relatively comfort that Beno Udrih was overpaid by 40-50% :)

Beno is seen as a starter, so he'll get more, i don't know that any teams will see lou as a starter which, rightly or wrongly, hurts his value, i don't think he's going anywhere

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 09:44:25 PM »
I could see why Lou would want a 3 year deal- so he can hit the market again at age 24.  I would much rather lock him up for 6.  Does that make me like BK?