Author Topic: dabods, Rick. Looks like Wolves and Sixers are on the verge of a trade.  (Read 12749 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
That has also been the case with Oakland. It is how Billy Bean competes with the small market handicap, though his teams are still better then most of the higher paid squads in baseball.

Until playoff time, which is the one knock against Beane...for some reason it don't work come playoff time but who knows why - they just can't seem to win a series - then again, he may have taken leave of his senses as all reports are that Billy Beane wants to run an MLS team and revolutionize futbol :)

Yes, he wants to still be with the A's, but he owners also own a local soccor team and he wants to do the same thing with that team as he did witht the baseballe team. Can you say "egomaniac"?

The reason his baseball teams fail in the post season is because he has no high paid, 'elder' leaders on these teams who can manage the stress associated with the post season. His teams are usually too young. 
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

jemagee

The reason his baseball teams fail in the post season is because he has no high paid, 'elder' leaders on these teams who can manage the stress associated with the post season. His teams are usually too young. 

Except that his philosophy and approach tends to ignore these intangibles, thus reinforcing that belief (rightly I think, but not in the levels others think) that some intangibles do matter, to a degree, not as much as, say, drawing a walk, but still...I mean, i'm not a big believer in 'grit factor' (see rowand, aaron) but i think there are some intangibles that come into play.

Not for nothing, but beane also owns (i bleieve) 5% of the A's?  It was part of the deal to keep him around since they couldn't afford to pay him what other teams could.

And yeah, he's an egomaniac, moneyball makes that grossly apparent, but then again, if he wasn't would he be as good at what he does (i mean, he gets all the money ball 'credit' when really it should go to alderson)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email

Except that his philosophy and approach tends to ignore these intangibles, thus reinforcing that belief (rightly I think, but not in the levels others think) that some intangibles do matter, to a degree, not as much as, say, drawing a walk, but still...I mean, i'm not a big believer in 'grit factor' (see rowand, aaron) but i think there are some intangibles that come into play.

Not for nothing, but beane also owns (i bleieve) 5% of the A's?  It was part of the deal to keep him around since they couldn't afford to pay him what other teams could.

And yeah, he's an egomaniac, moneyball makes that grossly apparent, but then again, if he wasn't would he be as good at what he does (i mean, he gets all the money ball 'credit' when really it should go to alderson)

Nobody talks about who owns the best post season 'on-base' percentage.

Beane's philosophy works okay during the regular season, but in a short playoff series, when pitchers are being paid to hit the strike zone, waiting for a base on balls seems a bit trite.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

jemagee

Beane's philosophy works okay during the regular season, but in a short playoff series, when pitchers are being paid to hit the strike zone, waiting for a base on balls seems a bit trite.

A walk is as good as a hit and you can't score runs without people on base....

I don't necessarily think your statement is as accurate as much as the game 'changes' in the playoffs much like in the nba, like the reason a team like the suns probably never wins a title playing the d'antoni style even though it kicks serious patootey during the regular season...i think it's silly that sports 'change' how the games are called during the playoffs but it seems to happen.

Or maybe it's just the curse of derek jeter, the msot over rated dude

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email

A walk is as good as a hit and you can't score runs without people on base....

I don't necessarily think your statement is as accurate as much as the game 'changes' in the playoffs much like in the nba, like the reason a team like the suns probably never wins a title playing the d'antoni style even though it kicks serious patootey during the regular season...i think it's silly that sports 'change' how the games are called during the playoffs but it seems to happen.

Or maybe it's just the curse of derek jeter, the msot over rated dude

No Yankee can possibly ever be overrated, just overhyped.

As for the A's and post season, the tension is high enough where a little panic sets in. A base on balls is just as good as a hit only if you still retain the regular season patience that got you the base on balls then. The post season anxiety is such that nervous newcomers tend to overreact when the count gets to 1-2.

jemagee

Derek Jeter is overrated AND over hyped - he's an average shortstop at best and was NEVER the best short stop in the game and should have moved when a-rod arrived cause a-rod was the better shoortstop :)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email

Derek Jeter is overrated AND over hyped - he's an average shortstop at best and was NEVER the best short stop in the game and should have moved when a-rod arrived cause a-rod was the better shoortstop :)

A .846 career OPS from a shortstop is not average.  I tend to believe that OBP is more important than slugging, and he's always had a very good OBP.  His '99 year of .989 OPS is one of the greatest years you'll find by a shortstop not named a-rod.

jemagee

Derek Jeter was never the greatest short stop (in my opinion) in his division...but to listen to various outlet sources no shortstop has ever been as good as derek jeter

(I won't talk about all the gold gloves he won and didn't deserve cause he's a middling fielder at best, cause they gave a gold glove to bobby abreu which for all time makes the gold glove a worthless award)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Derek Jeter was never the greatest short stop (in my opinion) in his division...but to listen to various outlet sources no shortstop has ever been as good as derek jeter

I agree.  He's overrated.  But he's far better than 'average'

jemagee

But he's not even as exciting as jose reyes (but really, who is?)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
Again, Yankees get overhyped. Comes with the town.

jemagee

I don't know any yankees fans, but i wonder if any hide here - does hank make you miss george?

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
I don't know any yankees fans, but i wonder if any hide here - does hank make you miss george?

More like Hank makes you remember George. Both are insane.

jemagee

Oh yes, both are totally insane, but george at least had earned his right to be insane, hanks just insane fro the jump and hasn't proven anything....and every time he opens his mouth i cringe cause he just doesn't make any sense.

I hope cashman leaves and the phils are smart enough to realize that he's better than amaro

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Koast and JoMal sitting in a tree........
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"