Author Topic: Carney traded (along with Booth)  (Read 4797 times)

Offline phillychuck

• View Profile
    • Email
Carney traded (along with Booth)
« on: July 08, 2008, 09:16:36 AM »
I saw on another mb that Carney, Booth, and a future #1 were traded to Minnesota for their 5.3 million dollar trade exception.

Link:

Here

Just noticed that this was mentioned in the Brand? thread, but I'd think trading away Carney merited its own discussion.  I hate to give up on his upside, but if it nets Brand I'm OK with it.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 09:18:29 AM by phillychuck »

jemagee

Re: Carney traded (along with Booth)
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 09:20:56 AM »
I've never been a huge fan of carney's upside that much anyway and would have liked to see him moved to memphis for a PG who are rumored to have been interested.

If the sixers don't have a handshake agreement with brand that he'll agree IF they get the cap room, i'm going to be rather put out.

PS - i don't believe this trade has actually happened yet - ESPN is reporting it still as a rumor just now - during a sportscenter break

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 10:24:46 AM »
jem:

Adrian Wojo-however-you-spell-it is reporting the trade on Yahoo Sports, and he's a pretty well-respected and connected guy...doubt that he would put it out there as a done deal if he hadn't heard from some pretty good sources...

Brand's agent, Falk, is an agent with a decent rep throughout the league...while trading Carney for cap room for a bigger offer for JSmith is something that still may not work (ATL could still match), trading for more cap room - right after Brand and Falk fly to Philly for a meeting - would certainly seem to suggest that Brand's interest is legit.  Carney is still - in NBA salary terms - relatively cheap and showed some real potential last spring...it would really suck if we were dumping him for nothing, IMO.

jemagee

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 10:28:10 AM »
Adrian Wojo-however-you-spell-it is reporting the trade on Yahoo Sports, and he's a pretty well-respected and connected guy...doubt that he would put it out there as a done deal if he hadn't heard from some pretty good sources...

Except no other source is reporting it as a done deal and the time stamp on wojos article is around 8-9 hours ago...so ini the last 8-9 hours no one else has confirmed this, or the sixers?

Hence my doubt, everyone else is reporting this as possible while one rather suspect media outlet is reporting it as done...

Offline shadowTerp

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 11:05:05 AM »
I'm hoping this was made public in the hopes that we can find something slightly better... as in taking out either Carney or the #1.  I'm not a fan of losing both (even though I understand why and agree with it).

jemagee

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 11:13:47 AM »
I somehow think it wouldn't need to be leaked to the papers to be made clear to other GMs.

I picture some sort of 'email' group where you can contact all the GMs of the NBA teams at once :)

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 11:26:45 AM »
jem:

I'm not talking about a "suspect media outlet"...I'm talking about a guy who is - first and foremost - a newspaper reporter (The Record of NJ)...a guy who wrote on the NBA for ESPN before moving over to Yahoo Sports...it is his cred that is on the line...and based on his history, he has more "cred" to lose in the media world than many who type in the blogosphere...

But he could be wrong, too.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 11:34:48 AM by bebopdeluxe »

jemagee

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 11:31:27 AM »
Are you sure wojnarksi works or has worked for espn.com?  PUt his name in on a search and espn and i get nothing showing up...there's a wojohowski, or whatever, who covers college ball...

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 11:35:13 AM »
jem:

Check my edit...

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 11:36:01 AM »
I somehow think it wouldn't need to be leaked to the papers to be made clear to other GMs.

I picture some sort of 'email' group where you can contact all the GMs of the NBA teams at once :)

Actually... according to Chad Ford on Draft Day, the Spurs GM sent out a mass e-mail to all GMs letting them know that the Spurs were interested in moving the #26 pick in the draft. I find that funny. Perhaps the league should, or even has, set up a private message board with a Trade Checker for GMs to post their ideas. Oh... this makes me ticklish.

jemagee

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 11:36:53 AM »
Well I always figured there was some mass communication outlet, even if for the NBA to send out missives and change in protocol...it would be awesome if someone found it and or hacked into it :)

Who needs capologists when you have a trade checker? 

jemagee

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 11:39:32 AM »
Bebop....missed the edit, but I look at it this way, credibility is affected by who you are working for, this woja fella has taken a few steps back, he's not working for ESPN or FOX Sports or the Sporting news, he's working for yahoo sports, and while i like the yahoo sports functionality for following scores and such i don't think of them as even the top 5 quality sources for sports news on their own...they should stick to aggregating news from other more reliable sources actually...i think the fact that he works for espn after jobs at more reputable places is telling to me...plus again, it's been more than enough time and no one has confirmed this deal (then again, has anyone from the sixers or t'wolves denied it other)

I believe it's a deal talked abou, i believe even the framework may be agreed upon, i don't believe it's a done complete deal.  I think Woja is jumping the gun and drawing conclusions (incorrectly) based on available information, i believe it's bad journalism.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 11:49:11 AM »
jem:

I appreciate what you are saying about Yahoo Sports...and because of the position that they occupy in the sports-reporting hierarchy, the pressure to make a splash or "break" a story...however, my point still stands - this is not some young-gun out to make a name for himself - this is a guy who has covered the NBA for years for some very reputable media outlets...a guy who probably has some pretty good league contacts (perhaps even better contacts than Howard Eskin)...based on that, I do give the guy a credibility grade above his current pay scale...

But - again - he could be wrong.

jemagee

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 11:50:49 AM »
I have better contacts than howard eskin in the nba :)

Thing is, with all his journalistic experience, he should know better than to make sure he has the story locked, and maybe he does or maybe he doesn't but the fact that no one else has it, and espn has some pretty good connections withy the nba, is just fishy to me - i think he's jumping the gun...and it's not even a major story :)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 11:52:12 AM »
Suffice to say he should have added the term "have agreed to a deal in principle."