Author Topic: Brand?  (Read 81415 times)

Offline carolina blue

• View Profile
Re: Brand?
« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2008, 11:50:21 AM »
Brand is a beast.

Get it done!

The potential deal makes the summer league a little more interesting as players like Gordon, McClellan and Carroll may have increased chances of making the roster.

Offline The Poster

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2008, 11:57:55 AM »
As I read the read the whole article Jem I realized it could be interpreted in several ways ... including his mother living in a house co owned in Peekskill NY, so he wants to unload one property in Ca, and keep his other one in Ca to travel to when he wants to do his Hollywood thing, but wants to free some cash to buy something back east, by the way the upper end market has not moved down much in Ca. :) 

Pure speculation and rumor mongering you are right on that point. :P

jemagee

« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2008, 12:01:43 PM »
Yes, I know quite a bit about the real estate market in california, trust me, god forsaken santa barbara 40% over market value houses haven't moved a damn bit...

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2008, 12:08:21 PM »
Latest from sf:
Talked to buddy..here is latest.

cap number announced tonight.

we make verbal offer to brand 5 years shortly after that..max amount we can offer..we think it will be approximately 85-89 million after ther Carney trade. 14.8 first year and 8 percent raise each year after..you can check the math though. It could eclipse 14.8 or be slightly lower..but thats approx what we think it will be.

He will answer by noon tomorrow if not earlier...Carney trade goes thru early tomorrow morning.

If Brand goes back to Clips..same exact offer is made to ATL for Smith. Tomorrow afternoon....Josh Smith and his agent are fully aware of the brand scenario and that we are pursuing that Brand one first because Brand in unrestricted and he intends to sign the offer sheet if we dont get Brand.

I asked how/why/if we know Brand would sign..ie why trade Carney and a #1 if you still dont know that Brand will sign..he said we feel very good about our chances to get one of those two and would not give further details. He acknowledged 1-2 of our summer league/training camp invites would/could/will probably make the team(mentioned Gordon,McClellan,carroll but i guess there could be others in consideration) to fill out the roster since we wont have much money left. Also talking to Ollie about coming back for min after we resolve the PF situation.

He doesnt think we will need a Plan C when I asked what happens if Plan A/B fail.....but I suppose thats Maggette,Childress etc or trades for available PF.

The Brand development is the reason why Childress visit was 'postponed'. He really has interest in being here......and of all people...Andre Miller has been doing what he can to recruit(no details given..but I about feel on the floor when i heard that one)

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2008, 12:11:41 PM »
Miller lobbying Brand?

Wow.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2008, 12:14:11 PM »
If Miller is involved, perhaps he becomes interested in staying here beyond next year. Maybe we don't have to move him if Brand makes staying here that much more attractive.

Also... let's say we do land Brand... we need a shooter in the starting lineup, don't we? Not that's I'm strongly for this but do you think it would be possible to move Iguodala in a sign and trade to get a shooter in a sign and trade?

There is talk of Michael Redd being available especially with Skiles now running the show. Iguodala is the defensive player that he would seem to covet. Doesn't a team of...

Miller/Williams
Redd/Green
Young
Brand/Evans/Speights
Dalembert/Smith

... actually have a chance to do something and by something I mean.... *gulp*... contend for a title??? Did I just ask that with all sincerity??

jemagee

« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2008, 12:17:16 PM »
I think the jefferson trade makes redd moving less likely, the jefferson trade is seen as a 'win now' move for the bucks, even fractional improvement (the 8 seed) will be a success for the bucks, thus i don't think redd is going anywhere because he's a key piece to that win now thing.

Is redd a 3 point shooter of any consequence...and once again i'm going to ask even with his height, how bad is a starting back court of miller and williams...

(I still think speights at 6'10 is a back up center as well)

Like i said earlier, i think a miller extension might be an important part of brand coming to philly

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2008, 12:17:57 PM »
Miller lobbying Brand?

Wow.

Miller actually speaking.  WOW.

Actually, if Miller was targeting the Clips as a likely destination to play with Brand, then the Baron Davis signing may have pushed Miller back towards us.

I am a little concerned that if Brand says no we will be overpaying for Smith.  This is a double problem because the Smith signing would seem to set the market for Iggy, whereas Brand and Iggy aren't really as comparable to create a benchmark.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2008, 12:19:24 PM »
TGP:

In the scenario you propose, that would certainly be a team that could win the East.

Oops...

That sound you just heard was Ralph Roberts hitting the floor from a massive coronary after Brian gave him the projected '08-09 Sixers payroll...

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 08, 2008, 12:20:39 PM »
Just to clarify- we can't make the same offer to Smith as we could to Brand.  As a 4 year player, Smith's salsry next year cannot go above about 13M (the max.)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: July 08, 2008, 12:22:33 PM »
Also... let's say we do land Brand... we need a shooter in the starting lineup, don't we?

I believe we do.  I just don't see a Miller/Iguodala/Thad trio working, especially not when you're trying to establish a post presence like Brand.  Our floor spacing is still going to be god awful in the half court.  That doesn't mean we won't be better than last year, but if you're looking at championship level, I don't see that trio working at that level.  Unfortunately that, combined with the possibility that Iguodala could be getting extremely pricey if GS loses out on Brand, and I think it's a possibility that you explore Iguodala s&t's.

I know people hate Gordon, and I know he's not a great defender, but with the size we'll have at 3/4/5 (Thad, Brand, Dalembert starting with Speights and Smith off the bench), I think you can get away with a smaller 2 guard, especially if he's such a good half court offensive player. 

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 08, 2008, 12:25:05 PM »
Just to clarify- we can't make the same offer to Smith as we could to Brand.  As a 4 year player, Smith's salsry next year cannot go above about 13M (the max.)

I had not looked up the numbers, but I was hoping that was the case.  I presume a front loading sign-on bonus is not a way around the allowable max and that the total max is the same no matter how it is paid out.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: July 08, 2008, 12:30:42 PM »
Smith's max would still be over $76 mil...which may be a lot for the ATL ownership to swallow.

I think if either of these scenarios comes to pass, Iguodala may be gone - both for shooting/floor spacing as well as (in the case of signing JSmooth) contract envy.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: July 08, 2008, 12:30:44 PM »
TGP:

In the scenario you propose, that would certainly be a team that could win the East.

Oops...

That sound you just heard was Ralph Roberts hitting the floor from a massive coronary after Brian gave him the projected '08-09 Sixers payroll...

Actually, if the scenario I laid out happened, the Sixers salary isn't bad at all. When you add in Brand at $15MIL and Redd at $15MIL but remove an Iguodala extension and remove Carney and Booth's salaries... you come up with a number right around $62MIL. That doesn't include Speights' rookie salary or LouWill's extension but it also doesn't factor in the fact that Miller's cap number is about $4MIL higher than his actual salary. All in all, the Sixers would be well below the tax and have a title contender. No need for coronaries 'cause it's all good.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: July 08, 2008, 12:34:06 PM »
Smith's max would still be over $76 mil...which may be a lot for the ATL ownership to swallow.

I think if either of these scenarios comes to pass, Iguodala may be gone - both for shooting/floor spacing as well as (in the case of signing JSmooth) contract envy.

Just for the sake of shaking up the chat, besides Redd what other shooting guards would be GREAT fits with Brand and Miller?