Author Topic: Is COY going to be difficult to choose this year?  (Read 2975 times)

Guest_Randy

Is COY going to be difficult to choose this year?
« on: April 06, 2004, 11:40:53 AM »
Rick Carlisle - Indy -- phenomenal job all year long.
Jerry Sloan - Utah -- incredible job with a bunch that Joey Crawford doesn't know.
Hubie Brown - Memphis -- from bottom dweller to playoff contender (well, contending for a playoff anyway -- they aren't going far)

At this point, I would have to go with Sloan (although he won't get it unless his team gets out of the first round -- which is pretty much impossible).  But Sloan has done more with less than any other team this year.  VERY impressive.

jn

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 12:11:53 PM »
I agree Randy.  All three guys have done a good job but I have to go with Sloan with Hubie second.  I like both the others mentioned but the both have WAY more raw talent to work with and of course Carlisle gets to coach in the East.  

Props to TP with Milwaukee too!   He should get it just for coaxing 25 and 14 out of Joe Smith against the Pacers the other day.   <_<  

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 12:16:34 PM »
Sloan certainly has done a credible job, as always, in Utah, but honestly, the COY is Hubie Brown's to lose.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2004, 12:41:47 PM »
Hubie will win it.  Sloan a close second.  Porter will be hurt by losing his point guard down the stretch.  Van Gundy in Miami deserves props also.  Vanderweghe deserves more credit than Bedzlik in Denver for their improvement.

Carlisle has only shown how bad a coach Isaih really was....he has arguably the most talented squad in the east.  If Carlisle is considered then Larry Brown should be considered also....anyone who can get Sheed to play inspired ball without losing control deserves votes.

And then for a completely 180 degree turnaround read the following article:

Give Phil the award
by Dennis Hans / April 1, 2004

There’s only one way to pick the NBA Coach of the Year: a process of elimination, just like the Miss America contest.

We don’t quite have 50 hopefuls, even if we include all those coaches who started but didn’t finish the season. We won’t include them, but Doc Rivers, Byron Scott, Jim O’Brien, Frank Johnson, Don Chaney, Bill Cartwright and Randy Ayers retain their eligibility for the Swimsuit, Evening Wear, and Mister Congeniality awards.

Two coaches who didn’t make the list of 11 finalists nevertheless merit honorable mention:

- Paul Silas, for getting the Big Z to play up to his potential at both ends of the floor and for giving LeBron just the right mix of freedom and guidance to help him develop into a well-rounded star.

- Flip Saunders, who got his Big Three on the same page, but is struggling down the stretch with a roster puzzle that doesn’t quite fit.

Of our 11 finalists, these six just missed out on making the final five:

- Terry Porter: Let’s hope that Porter’s success starts a hiring trend. He proved that one can simultaneously be a “players' coach” promoting instinctive, free-flowing play while at the same time fielding a team that’s well-organized and disciplined enough to know good shots from bad ones. He had the Bucks firing on all cylinders until TJ Ford’s untimely injury, which likely will mean an early playoff exit.

- Jeff Van Gundy: Revived Kelvin Cato and helped Maurice Taylor develop into an elite sixth man, but has imposed a style and pace of play that has little chance of producing a champion. The control-freak approach is the NBA equivalent of the Marty Schottenheimer style in the NFL: a conservative, predictable offense that’s obsessed with avoiding turnovers. That might produce regular-season improvement, but it doesn’t prepare a team for playoff competition against good teams, where offensive improvisation is required to overcome well-schooled defenses that, in a long series, will neutralize set plays.

- Stan Van Gundy: Unlocked the doors of Pat Riley’s prison, setting free the players and allowing them to reconnect with their creativity and instincts – that is, with two key qualities that made them NBA-worthy in the first place. With an assist from Dwyane Wade, Van Gundy has turned the second most boring team in league history – number one is the Fratello-era Cleveland Cavaliers – into a 2004 NBA rarity: a team that is consistently fun to watch.

- Lawrence “Don’t Call Me Larry” Frank: Great story, but Nets management should impose on him a minimum six hours of sleep per night. Long-term health for the young man with the weary eyes is more important than this silly sport that entrances us so. In an otherwise flawless run, Frank has made two fatal mistakes at the Nets helm. I fear he won’t be able to overcome the bad karma he brought upon his team in a recent loss to the Pistons, where first he tried to rally by employing a hack-a-Ben strategy. Then, in the waning seconds with victory out of reach, he ordered an intentional foul to give the Nets a final shot at breaking the Pistons streak of holding opponents under 70 points. Both tactics – while within the rules – make a mockery of the game. That couldn’t have pleased the hoop gods, who have long memories.

- Jerry Sloan: Another great job by the man who competes as intensely from courtside as he once did in games. He comes up a tad short of the ultimate coaching honor, however, because of one weakness: He and his
staff are insufficiently pro-active in developing young talents who have a dash of offensive flash. They repeatedly pooh-poohed DeShawn Stevenson’s physical gifts rather than seeing how those might be honed and polished to make life easier for him and the Jazz’s spot-up shooters. Not everyone has the ability to breakdown a defender, and rather than belittle that quality as appropriate only on the playground, a wiser course would have been to hire a Kevin Johnson or James Silas to tutor Stevenson rather than force him into a catch-and-shoot role.

- Rick Adelman: One of the best regular-season coaches, but still looking for his first title and still not established as a top-flight bench coach in the playoffs – the latter is all that stands between him and a Coach of the Year crown. If Vlade Divac keeps his flopping to a minimum I’ll be rooting for a Kings championship, as it would be good for the game if more teams mimicked the Adelman style than the control freaks’ “slow it down and slug it out” approach.

THE RUNNER-UPS

- Fourth runner-up Larry Brown: Has done another solid job, but his most important contribution may well have come off the court, with his constant badgering of Joe Dumars to pursue Rasheed Wallace. He could be the final piece, but I predict that Ben Wallace’s offensive deficiencies will be a key factor in ending the season short of a championship. Brown and assistant Mike Woodson deserve credit for working individually with Ben and integrating him more into the offense so the Pistons aren’t playing four against five, but the progress has been modest.

- Third runner-up Gregg Popovich: Proved his worth in a variety of ways. Most importantly, when Tim Duncan was sidelined several weeks ago Pop installed an effective, fun-to-watch motion offense, which continues to pay dividends now that Duncan is back. Without it, the Spurs chances of repeating were slight. Now they’re right there with the Lakers.

- Second runner-up Rick Carlisle: Premiere control-freak coach in the game today who – fortunately for Pacer fans – is gradually loosening the straitjacket on his team. Excellent organizer, motivator and delegator. Deserves credit for keeping Ron Artest focused on the task at hand and the continued development of dynamic Fred Jones. Lucked out when early-season injuries forced him to bring Jamaal Tinsley out of mothballs, as the Pacers have little chance of winning a title with Kenny Anderson and Anthony Johnson splitting 48 minutes at the point.

- First runner-up Hubie Brown: Too many good qualities to mention. Two personnel decisions stand out: He had the good sense to abandon his boneheaded idea of removing backup point guard Earl Watson from the rotation, and he gives important minutes to hustle maestro Bo Outlaw, who is Andrei Kirilenko minus the jumpshot and mohawk. No one appreciates shot blockers more than Hubie, and his frontcourt is stocked with swatters who erase mistakes and spark fastbreaks. But Hubie is 70, and he’s forged a team that is too exciting for his own well being. The solution for coming seasons: Hubie coaches at practice, and his son handles game duties while Hubie takes a nap in the locker room.

COACH OF THE YEAR

- Phil Jackson: Unflappable. Serene. The calm amid the storm in this stormiest of Laker seasons. Always aware of the big picture and the ultimate goal. It’s no accident that the two best coaches of all time – Jackson and Red Auerbach – are well-rounded, sensitive gents who understand people and have diverse interests outside the game.

Take note, all you nut-case coaches who eat, sleep, live and breath basketball. Do like Phil: stop and smell the incense. Get away and clear your head, then take a fresh look at your team and your coaching.

link to article
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2004, 01:02:41 PM »
To me Hubie Brown has enough good talent on the team that if he has weaknesses, the talent on the court hides it fairly well, Gasol is proving to be quite a solid player and Outlaw brings energy and intensity.

NOBODY is doing more with less this year than Sloan. Half this teams starters are end of the bench fodder on any of the big 4 out west and losing Harpring so early in the season should have been the nail in Utah's coffin, but look at what they have done since he went down, amazing. Kirilenko to me is reaching superstar levels on a pedestrian team that finds ways to win, and beat teams that should blow them off the floor. Giricek (GIRICEK?!?!) is playing way over his head and Raja Bell is a spark plug off the bench who will burn you bad if you give him the open look midrange back to the arch.

No boys and girls, if Sloan isn't COY, there is no justice, regardless of whether they make the playoffs or not, let alone get past the first round, (they won't), and you can credit no one but Jerry Sloan for this teams consistant play, when he lost Malone and Stockton and the undefendable pick and roll, Utah style, he changed up his offense to compliment what was available to him and it has become more free flowing, creative, and energetic as a result, that is COY type coaching, no question.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2004, 01:04:03 PM by Laker Fan »
Dan

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2004, 01:24:19 PM »
IMO it's a race between Sloan and Hubbie.  I'm leaning towards Sloan but you can make an equally strong case for Hubie.

If the Jazz even make the playoffs there should be no doubt that Slaon is COY.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2004, 01:36:50 PM »
Popovich should get a nod. I know he's a terrible coach and all, but he's developed a system that obviously works. He's made people who I would never consider good defenders actually, well, pretty good!
Paul

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2004, 01:38:46 PM »
Popovich should get a nod. I know he's a terrible coach and all, but he's developed a system that obviously works. He's made people who I would never consider good defenders actually, well, pretty good!
By "made" do you mean Pop is good a recruiting Pat Riley players?

Pop for COY!  LMFAO!  

Spurs fans are now banned from using the term "homer" in regards to any other fanbase.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2004, 01:41:59 PM »
I know. Pop's no Phil Jackson, that's for sure!
Paul

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2004, 02:01:14 PM »
Popovich?!?!?! And you guys say Laker fans are delusional, for crying out loud!
Dan

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2004, 02:32:20 PM »
There are only 2 other active coaches who have won rings as coaches (3 if you count Hubie's ABA championship).  That alone says something.  Just as PJ has to have some coaching ability to make his teams mesh (both Bulls & Lakers) then Pop has to have something going for him to win 2 rings.

Now I will go on record...as I have in the past....and say that Pop is the best defensive coach in the NBA.  His offense (until Parker & Ginobili forced his hand) was arguably the most pathetic thing in the NBA.  Makes Pop sort of the anti-Nellie...all D and no O.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2004, 02:40:27 PM by Lurker »
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2004, 02:55:52 PM »
Yes but doesn't only *ne of those rings count?  :D  
Dan

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2004, 03:04:34 PM »
Yes but doesn't only *ne of those rings count?  :D
You're right...the first one.  Last year they only won because of other teams' injuries.   ;)  
-Moody Blues

Guest_Randy

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2004, 03:21:08 PM »
Oh PLEASE -- someone tell me HOW Pop deserves mention with the other coaches.  Look at how the Spurs started their year -- and before some homer starts talking about how many new players had to be stirred into the mix, look at the Jazz, Memphis, Detroit and Indy -- the Jazz almost had a complete roster change (not to mention Sloan had to deal with the loss of Harpring halfway through the season) and Memphis, Detroit and Indy all had to learn new systems under brand new coaches.  

Let me make this clear:  neither PJ nor Pop deserve to be considered with the previous coaches.  The talent that both of these coaches have show that they haven't done nearly the job that the other coaches have done with far less talent (therefore more TEAM concept).  

Also, I would have considered Adelmann for his work with the Kings but the way the Kings have fallen on their face and the inability of Adelmann to COACH his way through it (rather than continually sticking the same players on the court and kissing CWebb's butt instead of standing up to him) shows that he doesn't deserve COY mention.  Adelmann's work with the Kings while CWebb was out was MASTERFUL but his inability to retain his coach status and defer that to CWebb is pathetic.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2004, 03:22:38 PM »
There are only 2 other active coaches who have won rings as coaches (3 if you count Hubie's ABA championship).  That alone says something.  Just as PJ has to have some coaching ability to make his teams mesh (both Bulls & Lakers) then Pop has to have something going for him to win 2 rings.

Now I will go on record...as I have in the past....and say that Pop is the best defensive coach in the NBA.  His offense (until Parker & Ginobili forced his hand) was arguably the most pathetic thing in the NBA.  Makes Pop sort of the anti-Nellie...all D and no O.
Thanks for sharing why Pop doesn't deserve COY mention -- there are actually coaches who can coach on both ends of the court -- and several who have done it without the talent that SA and LA have.