Author Topic: Any thoughts about E Okafor?  (Read 3051 times)

Offline The Poster

• View Profile
    • Email
Any thoughts about E Okafor?
« on: July 03, 2008, 04:04:20 PM »
Hollinger suggests this in a ESPN column today. The article has some interesting perspectives on the FA and RFA market that are interesting...good read.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=FreeAgency-080703&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Re: Any thoughts about E Okafor?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 04:09:59 PM »
Same as my thoughts on Biedrins, but bigger, older and costlier.

he would be a great replacement for Sam (although only 18 monts younger), but probably not the best offensive complement to Sam.  Defensively they would do a great job of shutting down the paint.

I doubt we would be able to sign him away from Charlotte, so I understand the lack of buzz.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 04:27:37 PM »
The one thing Okafor definitely brings is the ability to match up with teams with 2 really good big men (Toronto hint hint) rather than going small and trying to run them off the court.  Not a huge fan, but the dude can certainly D board and play defense.  I'm just a bit scared of pairing 2 light scoring big men.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 09:18:12 PM »
I definitely prefer Biedrins over Okafor, younger, more athletic, more versatile and better suited to the up-tempo game.  Neither is likely to be left go by his team, unless LB wants Sammy in a S&T.  I think Okafor fits better at C on our team, if he fits at all.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 11:49:04 PM »
I think Okafor deserves a little more chatter as I actually see him as one of the more likely RFA's to walk this summer... His numbers took a drop last season, and he turned down a deal last year that would have paid him 12M per year... maybe more if he met certain incentives.  I can see negotiations getting rocky in Charlotte. 

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 07:53:39 AM »
Okafor would have gotten a lot more chatter of the Bobcats had grabbed Brook Lopez at 9 instead of DJ Augustin.  Now, absent a S&T that brings back a big man, they pretty much have to match any offers for him unless they want to rely on Sean May, Nazr Mohammed and Ajinca.  I could see them pursuing the S&T angle only because the LB-MJ combination is about as unpredictable as you can get.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 09:29:42 AM »
Okafor seems like a LB type of player so I just can't see them letting him go. I have interest in him but he doesn't seem to fit in with the track team that Ed seems to be trying to build. Then again, I do believe would rock the shit out of the shot put.