Author Topic: Point Guard options  (Read 20700 times)

Offline johnny broad-street

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Point Guard options
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2008, 08:45:48 AM »
Additionally, Miller's value will be higher at the trade deadline than it is now...and arguably higher still in the offseason. Why would we want to sell low?

jemagee

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2008, 08:58:29 AM »
This are assumptions, and may not be proven true at best, especially when he's an unrestricted free agent, there's no guarantee a sign and trade gets done.

Teams with point guard holes now may fill them by february

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2008, 09:19:12 AM »
Additionally, Miller's value will be higher at the trade deadline than it is now...and arguably higher still in the offseason. Why would we want to sell low?

I can't see his value being higher than now.  He put up a career year last year, and he would be the best PG on the market.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2008, 09:26:12 AM »
It's standard NBA logic that expirings are most valuable at the deadline, when a good team in need of a big or a PG can get the help they need to make a run without the commitment of a long term deal being in the mix. That's all I'm saying.

jemagee

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2008, 09:49:18 AM »
No, it's old NBA logic that exprings have value at the deadline, and you have to assume they have a need too, plus the recent failures of such big splashes as Jason Kidd and Shaquille O'neal are going to make teams more wary.

The expiring contract value market has been dead for a while now, maybe it pumps back up in 2010 when people are desperate for lebron or wade, but right now and next season it's probably as valuable as when the sixers had glenn robinson and mashburn, remember what their deals brought in?

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2008, 09:51:07 AM »
Miller's a quality point guard who could help a team. Those two were not.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2008, 09:51:37 AM »
Miller will have minimal value next summer.  As far as cap space goes, his expiring contract probably won't provide us all that much cap space, depending on how things work out his summer.  Let's assume at a minimum a conservative summer where we re-sign Iggy and Lou to market level contracts.  Both will eat into our available cap space for next year because their actual contracts will be significantly higher than their current cap holds and add in typical contract increases for our other players.  Our only expiring contract other than Miller next year is Calvin Booth.  Depending on who we sign/acquire this summer, the Miller expiring could have little value for us.  If we sign players to multi-year deals that use up all or most of our current cap space, then Miller's expiring will give us less than the full amount of cap space next summer because of Iggy and Lou W's contracts.  

For example, his $10 million dollar expiring contract might only garner us a few million in cap space if we pay Josh Smith, Iggy and Lou W. this summer.  For 2009-2010 we are already committed to around $26 million in salaries.  Add in about $29 million for Smith ($12 million), Iggy ($11 million) and Williams ($6 million) and we are up to $55 million.  assume the cap rises to $61 million and we have around $6 million in cap space from the $11 million in expirings (Miller and Booth).  

If we keep a significant chunk of our current cap space in our pocket them Miller's deal might give us full value when it expires, but our overall cap space will be decreased by contracts for Iggy and Williams.  For this reason I think Miller has the most value this summer or in season when a team either deparately needs a PG and/or expects to have cap space next summer and wants to add to it by trading for Miller's expiring contract.  Ironically, the team with cap space and a need for a PG right now is GS, but others may arise during the year.  Miami needs a PG and has Marion expiring and looks like our only other current match-up in a straight or three way deal (perhaps with the Bulls?).

jemagee

« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2008, 10:11:39 AM »
Miller's a quality point guard who could help a team. Those two were not.

How'd the jason kidd and shaquille o'neal trades work out?  Miller has no where to go but down, only reason sixers are looking to trade him next deadline would be if they were out of the playoff hunt,now if miller gets all this priase for 'leading' a team to playoffs when it shouldn't have been (a faulty line of reasonining disproven by a few people with actual numbers to support their argumnent) who is (rightly or wrongly) going to be responsible for the sixers underperforming next year.

Andre MIller will be at the top of the list...

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2008, 10:18:07 AM »
Ok Jem. Agree to disagree. Have your problems on other boards been because you seem to come across as combative and unaccepting of other opinions by any chance?

I have my reasons for thinking Miller will be a good trade deadline chip, but I think I'll just stop now....

jemagee

« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2008, 10:26:17 AM »
Ok Jem. Agree to disagree. Have your problems on other boards been because you seem to come across as combative and unaccepting of other opinions by any chance?

I have my reasons for thinking Miller will be a good trade deadline chip, but I think I'll just stop now....

You have your opinion, i have mine, i present what i feel is evidence to back my opinion up and you have...your opinion.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2008, 10:29:40 AM »
No need to be a smart a$$. I just don't dig your tone man, and don't really want to continue the discussion any farther. It's not that I cannot support my opinion...it's just that I'd really rather not continue the conversation. No big deal. I've never had an issue with you here or on RealGm...it just seems your tone leans toward instigatory, and I don't really want to get involved.

I'm sure most people are cool with it, and it's not like you're SendEm or something, so it's all good.

jemagee

« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2008, 10:35:21 AM »
Ah I see, i was instigatory.

One of us stuck to basketball, one of us commented on the others personality...go back and read the transcript
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 10:37:01 AM by jemagee »

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2008, 10:39:48 AM »
All I said was the tone, man. I don't think I'll "go back to the transcript".

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2008, 11:29:36 AM »
Someone is PMSing but I guees that seems to be a popular theme on all message boards these days. :-)

Here, this will make everyone smile...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZBf6QFeEHU4 (a little girl talking about kicking a monster's ass)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 11:31:48 AM by TheGuiltyParty »

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2008, 11:31:52 AM »
That was phenomenal....in the truest sense of the word