Author Topic: Point Guard options  (Read 20477 times)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Re: Point Guard options
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2008, 01:35:53 PM »

I have a lot of interest in Crittenton.  Not so much in Felton.  Lowry IMO would just be part of the rotation, not an answer at PG.  I think He'd be a nice complement to Miller and/or Lou.

Crit would be at the top of my list too- although I'm not much of an exopert on him.  I figure he has size and athletasism and a decent shot.  Not a pure passing PG, but the talent level and willingness to share to play the position.

How good of a shooter is Crit?  I figure that is a skilll that can be developed, but the Sixers need a PG who can spread the defense, or at least keep them honest.  Who does he project out to be?  A rich man's Jack?

BTW- I realize what I just wrote, but I'll leave it....

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2008, 02:40:50 PM »
Tinsley might get bought out.... I think he's a headcase and really wouldn't want him, but if bought out he could be a cheap option. 

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2008, 02:47:13 PM »
Tinsley might get bought out.... I think he's a headcase and really wouldn't want him, but if bought out he could be a cheap option. 

No.  It is one thing to try and overlook a player's warts when he is a very good player.  That is not the case here.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2008, 03:17:35 PM »

You did a great job of talking me into that move.

Offline carolina blue

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2008, 03:28:17 PM »
I wouldn't take Tinsley if he'd agree to play for free.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2008, 03:31:05 PM »
I wouldn't take Tinsley if he'd agree to play for free.

This.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2008, 04:00:57 PM »
feeling the Tinsley love. 

Offline southjersey

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2008, 07:45:40 AM »
Trade Millers @ss and give Lou the starting spot. We might as well find out now if he can be a PG.

jemagee

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2008, 11:06:24 AM »
And if he can't be the sixers are screwed, that doesn't make any sense, and i'll say it again, they should know already before devoting a long term deal to him what he can and can't do

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2008, 11:52:13 AM »
Ed has talked about how next year will be a great draft for PG's.  Sort of a strange statement considering it takes a few years to develop a PG, and we probably need a starting quality PG in the next 6-12 months.

I'd be fine extending Miller 2 years (or a 3-4 year declining deal) but I doubt he will be a Sixer past next year.  I'd actually be surprised if he makes it to the deadline.

I would be willing to put Lou in a platoon type situation like Toronto had.  The Sixers have depth, and I could see them going 10 deep and playing trap/pressure defense all game, which would open up time for 2 PG's, especially if they were versatile players like Crit, Hinrich or Lou.

I can't imagine them throwing Lou the keys, but bringing in another young complementary PG/SG to share his duties would be a good way to see if Lou can grow into the pg position.  He will never be a "pure point' -whatever that is, but might grow into a good fit for the Sixers at PG depending on who else is on the roster.  There have been many great teams who run their offense through several primary ball handlers without a pure PG.  I just don't know if that will work for the Sixers and Lou.

jemagee

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2008, 11:56:34 AM »
The next years draft statement bothers me because unless the sixers take a giant step backwards (or LOTS of eastern teams take huge steps forward) the sixers are most likely a low lottery/low teens pick again next year, and even if there are a lot of quality PGs in the draft, the sixers won't have a shot at one :)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2008, 12:39:43 PM »
The next years draft statement bothers me because unless the sixers take a giant step backwards (or LOTS of eastern teams take huge steps forward) the sixers are most likely a low lottery/low teens pick again next year, and even if there are a lot of quality PGs in the draft, the sixers won't have a shot at one :)

We should have two picks in next years draft, depending on how Utah finishes, plus several attractive young trade pieces if we really want a guy and have to move up.  My concern is that we waste some of those assets in a half-@ssed move to please the fanbase when our top 2-3 plans don't work out this summer.  I hope it does not come to that.

jemagee

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2008, 12:42:37 PM »
2 picks in the area below 16 and the sixers second tier youth (not speights, young etc...) don't exactly make teams in the top of the lottery salivate unless you got a team suffering a major injury to a start and popping up.

I don't know much about the point guards in next years draft (i think there's some guy named rubio) but i don't think that kind of assets you are mentioning pops you into the top 6-7 of a draft.

Offline southjersey

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2008, 06:06:05 PM »
And if he can't be the sixers are screwed, that doesn't make any sense, and i'll say it again, they should know already before devoting a long term deal to him what he can and can't do

All I'm saying is that this is Lou's 3rd year and he should be ready to take over a starting position. The sixers are better off trying out Lou Williams at the point for a year, and seeing if he has what it takes to be a PG. Worst case scenerio he goes back to being our top bench scorer. I'm pretty confident that the contract he signs this offseason is gonna be decent even if he's a backup.

jemagee

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2008, 08:40:24 AM »
It has nothing to do with what year he is, it has more to do with playing time, you can't just put him in the mold...your point was that the sixers should trade miller and make williams the point, so i'm asking again, what happens when that fails and you have no back up?