Author Topic: Point Guard options  (Read 20479 times)

jemagee

Point Guard options
« on: July 03, 2008, 10:11:53 AM »
So, we've discussed kirk hinrich as a possible gettable optoin at point guard, but what about other players...chauncey billups for instance, signed through 11 (with a team option for 12) may be on the market...is he a guy you'd like to see the sixers make a run for if made available?

The memphis trio probably one is moving and could be an nba starter, but none have really established them yet.

Any other names?

This is all based on my premise that I don't believe Louis Williams is a point guard any more than Allen Iverson is a point guard....regardless of how tall he is (or isn't)

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Point Guard options
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 10:14:08 AM »
Lou Williams

Based on my premise that he's not a pass-first PG but is certainly capable of playing PG in an offense that needs guys who can get to the basket and shoot 3s more than pure distribution ability.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 10:25:39 AM »
Kyle Lowry - realistically attainable, young, fits here

Felton - Longshot, but with the additions of Augustine and Larry Brown there might be a shot.

jemagee

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 10:26:45 AM »
I agree that Felton seems like the odd man out in Charlotte, but is he a starting PG long term?  I know a lot of people are mixed on what he's proved so far...i had him on my fantasy team for a bit last year and didn't really like what he provided

jemagee

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 10:27:20 AM »
I wonder, would Larry Brown be interested in Reggie Evans?

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 10:30:42 AM »
I would take LouW over Felton, Critt, Lowry or any of the other guys mentioned...Felton has gotten plenty of playing time and done JACK....Lowry might make snes for a team the way that Rondo makes sense for the Celtics, but if Iggy is going to be our SG, I would like my PG to shoot it better from distance than Lowry does...

LouW is not perfect...far from it...but he's better than those guys, IMO.

jemagee

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 10:35:40 AM »
Could I get some clarification on what a 'good' 3 point shooter should shoot?  Cause to me under 36% just doesn't look good

BTW - TS% (which is kind of the equivalent of eFG% basically) for Louis Williams last year, 52.3%...better than ben gordons, so like i said, rather have williams due to the cost of gordon :)

jemagee

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 10:36:39 AM »
PS - ANdre MIller should never ever attempt a 3 pointer, i mean really,

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 10:41:53 AM »
jem:

If I am not mistaken, 36% is right around the NBA average for 3pt FG%...and on the Sixers, being an "average" 3pt shooter is a good thing.

;D

I would certainly expect Lou's percentage to continue to improve...as opposed to Iggy, Lou has decent jump shot mechanics, and another summer working with Mark Price can only help.

Fair point re: Lou versus Gordon...I agree with your assessment...and in a perfect world, Lou is our Barbosa/Harris (with DAL)...a 25 mpg combo guard who can score the ball and open up the floor for others...but before I would commit to Felton or Lowry at PG, I would give Lou the keys.

jemagee

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 10:44:58 AM »
Personally, I don't think you should give lou the keys cause I don't think he's shown enough to be a 35-40 MPG point guard in the NBA, he's a great bench player, and willie green should get zero minutes and louis williams should get all his, i'm not anti-williams, like i said, he's a great energy guy off the bench in the clutch.

And by the way, the 'give me the ball guys' are really most vital at the end of the quarters, and games, or down the stretch, and you put williams in the game then and he can do it, i just don't think he runs an offense, or initiates an offense, he's not that guy...andre miller did a passable job at PG last year in my opinion but we need a guy who is going to get more assists than Millers 6.9 last year, not more and williiams doesn't project out to even 6 with starters minutes

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 10:53:21 AM »
jem:

I don't disagree with your current assessment of Lou as a 35-40 mpg PG (although I reserve the right to change that opinion over time, of course)....I just have that low an opinion of Felton...and I just don't think that Lowry's game/jumper would be a good fit next to Iggy.

I think Lou would be a MUCH better fit next to Iggy than Lowry.

jemagee

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 10:55:57 AM »
That's fine...i think lou would be a better fit next to iggy if the other option is willie green...i still think you need an actual point guard.

If you don't get a PF - stay with thad at 4 and andre at 3 and make lou the starting 2 - but get a real point guard to back up andre miller

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 11:07:28 AM »
I would take LouW over Felton, Critt, Lowry or any of the other guys mentioned

I have a lot of interest in Crittenton.  Not so much in Felton.  Lowry IMO would just be part of the rotation, not an answer at PG.  I think He'd be a nice complement to Miller and/or Lou.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 11:12:15 AM »
I really don't know much about Felton since he turned pro, he looked like a good prospect in cllege, but I'll defer to other who have seen him more recently.  I think we have covered all of the bases here with Hinrich, the Memphis PG horde, Felton and Lou W.  For possible steals a la Chauncey Billups (draft pick hwo hasn't done much but needs a change of scenery, probably still a bust though) there is Marcus Williams in NJ, of course using the words "steals" and "marcus Williams" in the same sentence is ironic.  Next year's draft is supposed to be much better stocked with PGs.  I also wonder if Stefanski isn't waiting until he sees how the rest of the team shapes up long term before going after his new PG.  Studs who can do it all are great, but most guys have strengths and weaknesses that fit certain teams and don't fit others.  Will we need someone with 3 point range, a bigger PG if we get a small SG like one of the Gordons, a pure distributor like Miller, etc.

BTW, I still love Lowry as a back-up PG long term, maybe sharing the job with Lou W.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 12:17:15 PM »
Personally, I don't think you should give lou the keys cause I don't think he's shown enough to be a 35-40 MPG point guard in the NBA, he's a great bench player, and willie green should get zero minutes and louis williams should get all his, i'm not anti-williams, like i said, he's a great energy guy off the bench in the clutch.

And by the way, the 'give me the ball guys' are really most vital at the end of the quarters, and games, or down the stretch, and you put williams in the game then and he can do it, i just don't think he runs an offense, or initiates an offense, he's not that guy...andre miller did a passable job at PG last year in my opinion but we need a guy who is going to get more assists than Millers 6.9 last year, not more and williiams doesn't project out to even 6 with starters minutes

Well, we agree that he's a great energy guy off the bench, and he definitely improved in the clutch as the year progressed.

Here's the thing: Andre Miller is one of the best assist guys in the entire league, and even he couldn't crack 7 apg.  This team really didn't have a lot of options to pass to.  Dalembert has stone hands, Evans certainly wasn't an offensive force, Green couldn't hit water from a boat half the time, and Iggy and Thad both tended to create their own offense.  I think both Miller's and Williams' low assist numbers came from the fact that they were generally one of two guys on the floor who could even somewhat consistently hit a J.  That being said, I think Williams could play 35 mpg at PG for this team, especially if they get Smith, because it would be a whole lineup of guys who are not catch and shoot guys, but drive to the hoop guys.  And I'm pretty sure Williams is able to throw an oop.  A non-traditional offense could call for a non-traditional PG.  Really, we'd be starting 3 SFs and a C.  I think even the superstar PGs would've had trouble cracking 8 apg with the Sixers for the pure fact that they didn't have anybody who could really shoot a J.