Author Topic: Current long terms, do you agree?  (Read 2073 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Current long terms, do you agree?
« on: July 02, 2008, 12:05:29 AM »
No question that the players are good*, but do you give big bucks and long years to these guys?  *By that i mean all of them have established themselves except for Beno.

Ant Jamison 4 yrs 50 mil done
Barron Davis 5 yrs 65 mil
Beno Undies 5 yr 33 mil (5th year Beno option) (allegedly, all but confirmed at presstime)
Gilbert Arenas 6 yrs 125 -puportedly
Elton Brand 4 years 60+ mil (I'm speculating)
Cory Megette 4 years 22-40 mil (again I'm speculating)
James Posey
DeSagana Diop
Mickael Pietrus
others i may have missed?

Others with "long" offers only in that they are older yet may get multiyears vs a single year if a bidding "war" breaks out:
Kurt Thomas
Brent Barrdog
Michael Finley
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 12:18:18 AM by Reality »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Current long terms, do you agree?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 12:17:28 AM »
I love his game but no, I don't give him that much for that long due to his mileage and wear.

Barron Davis 5 yrs 65 mil
I dunno.  Going into his 10th year, 29 yrs old.  Then again its great to see the Clipps expend some cash to make their games interesting.

Beno Undies 5 yr 33 mil (5th year Beno option) (allegedly, all but confirmed at presstime)  Some said Undie would not try hard enough at San Antonio.  I think it was more Poppycock and his ludicrous *doghouse* that those who fall out of *favor* get sent to.  Great start for Kings so far.  We shall see.  I like the price, i dont like the years.

Gilbert Arenas 6 yrs 125 -puportedly
good player, but no way do i give him top dollar.

Elton Brand 4 years 60+ mil (I'm speculating)
Call me crazy but i would give Eltie this contract.  I think his work ethic and consistency will overcome his injury.  Igs and Eltie on Philly would be a good match.  I like him on the Spurs also.

Cory Megette 4 years 22-40 mil (again I'm speculating)
I don't like this guys Meism game,  but purportedly he played some team ball for Dumbleavy.  Gets to the line a ton.  The years bug me.  Would not do it.  Spurs said to be possibly chasing, could just be misinformation.

James Posey  Great role player.  Kind of Horrylike in the 06 and 08 Championships.
DeSagana Diop  young only 25.  I dont know enough about him.
Mickael Pietrus  Good sign if he doesnt push for big bucks.

others with "long" offers only in that they are older yet may get multiyears vs a single year if a bidding "war" breaks out:
Kurt Thomas solid.  Poppycocks idiotic benching of him and Barrdog large part of why Spurs lost to Lakers.
Brent Barrdog  what can you say.  Get this man a p.g. position with meaningful minutes and watch him work.
Michael Finley  Time to hang it up longterm, but would be a good one year sign for low dollars.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 12:23:36 AM »
I'm also surprised no one offered Ron 'Testy at least two years at 7 mil ea.  Or was that enough to make him leave the Kings, since Ron appreciats so much their being "there for him".

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 07:37:55 AM »
I'm also surprised no one offered Ron 'Testy at least two years at 7 mil ea.

Ron never opted out.  You can't make offers to guys under contract.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 10:07:10 AM »
You can't take 3 steps in the NBA either.

jemagee

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 10:20:42 AM »
And one day later Artest is telling ESPN publicly that he regrets opting out...seriously any team that signs this guy should make therapy a requisite of his contract.

As for the long term deals, they're all pretty nuts and too much except probably for what brand ends up getting (assuming his knee holds up)

However, that's the status of the NBA today, guys usually aren't productive for the length of their last big deal, which is why front loading them makes sense a bit cause the sunk costs (i think that's the term) aren't as bad as they become less productive.

At least that's how ii think it

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 10:23:05 AM »

I would say you are comparing apples and oranges.  But really it is more like comparing apples and space shuttles.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 10:40:08 AM »
Is something wrong with Brand's knee?  ;)
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 10:46:41 AM »

Nothing that an all star caliber point guard won't help cure.   ;D
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 10:47:36 AM »

I would say you are comparing apples and oranges.  But really it is more like comparing apples and space shuttles.
If you're interested in spaceships, maybe if Ted and his kids see WALL-E again they can take you?

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 12:08:46 PM »

The 'interest' in Artest apparently came mostly from other players he talked to, who all wanted Ron to opt out of his SacTown contract and sign with their teams. Why he didn't, based on such "concrete" interest in him from these 'other' teams is just beyond me.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 03:16:48 PM »

Yes - it's potentially playing for the Clippers.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

jemagee

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 05:44:26 PM »
Sorry, for some reason it's stuck in my mind that it was his knee not his achilles

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 10:05:39 AM »
I love his game but no, I don't give him that much for that long due to his mileage and wear.

Gilbert Arenas 6 yrs 111 mil done
good player, but no way do i give him top dollar.

While the Wiz will say they just locked up winning ball for 4 years, I say they just locked up .500 ball.  Now they are handicapped for spending on anyone else.

Oh well, i guess if they choose other pieces for low money and get real fortunate.....
I think the Spurs and other teams might have boned out money for Ant (or could they have offered Ant the same money with the cap gobbldygook rules?)