Author Topic: What we are learning about Ed and the teams direction  (Read 13804 times)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: What we are learning about Ed and the teams direction
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 12:35:41 PM »
I'm all for getting Hinrich. If we're going to have Iguodala at the 2, I think it would be highly beneficial to have a PG that can stretch defenses with the 3 ball. Miller can't do that... Hinrich can. Maybe Ed could sign Smith and then use Miller and filler in a 3 way for Hinrich???

Hinrich/Williams
Iguodala/Green
Young/Carney
Smith/Speights
Dalembert/Smith

Oh.... I think I like that.

Offline johnny broad-street

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 12:39:30 PM »
Sign me up.....I have friends in Chicago and would be happy to go visit them...catch a Cubbies game and bring him back....

...provided he pitches in for gas and Resse's Pieces

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 12:41:48 PM »
TGP:

If Speights turns out to be a player, that is a lineup that could play in June.

The only problem with a 3-way deal is that you have one team that may want to unload contract for next summer (where Miller could be a fit), and another team who wants cap relief NOW (Chicago).

I'm not sure how we get both Smith and Hinrich...unless we can monetize Miller's contract.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 12:45:40 PM by bebopdeluxe »

jemagee

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 12:50:05 PM »
Isn't Derrick Rose already the starter at PG in Chicago?

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 12:56:22 PM »
Isn't Derrick Rose already the starter at PG in Chicago?

He is which is why Miller would have to be shipped to Miami and it's also why Hinrich might be moved.

Bebop: I agree with what you're saying. Getting Smith and Hinrich does become difficult because Chicago will probably want instant cap relief after they sign Deng and Gordon. Gordon is the real X factor here. I guess that if we're "lucky" and get to give Smith $66MIL than Hinrich isn't a possibility.

jemagee

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2008, 01:01:24 PM »
Miller and Evans provide chicago 'instant' cap relief as instant as they can get it?

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2008, 01:11:47 PM »
Not as instant as a $7-8 million trade exemption...

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2008, 01:13:57 PM »
Not as instant as a $7-8 million trade exemption...

Exactly... I'm sure Chicago is going to prefer to remove Hinrich's salary off of the books completely right now than wait 1 year for it to come off.

jemagee

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2008, 01:18:13 PM »
Hinrich has more value than just a trade exception though...the sixers aren't getting him for nothing...might have to take back one of their bad contracts as well?

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2008, 01:22:33 PM »
TGP:

The only possibility would be to find a team on the West Coast who might be in the market for a PG next season who might have something that Chicago needs...that team could have been Portland, but with their draft maneuvering, they probably think that Bayless covers their needs there.  Golden State?  Maybe...but I think that Chicago probably wants a big, and Nellie doesn't have any of those to spare.  Either LA team?  Nope.  Seattle?  Westbrook.  Sacramento?  Beno-baby.

My puzzler is sore...

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2008, 01:24:50 PM »
jem:

Funny...I was thinking the opposite...who has the room/desire to take on Hinrich's $10m contract next season?  And what would they trade Chicago that would have more value that the exemption that the Sixers could give them?

But if we sign Smith, we have no exemption to trade...unless we renounce a big cap-hold...

;)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2008, 01:36:11 PM »
I agree that Hinrich should have more value than just a trade exception but Chicago could go into luxury tax land if the re-sign Deng and Gordon. Trading Hinrich for space would obviously avoid the tax and clear up their logjam. That said, I don't know that Gordon will be a Bull next season or if he is, that he will sign for anything more than a 1 year deal. If either of those situations happen, Chicago will just keep Hinrich and play him at the 2 next to Rose.

As for Miller being traded... here are the teams that make some sense for him to go to.

Miami: Huge hole at PG and they supposedly have interest
Cleveland: They have West but they made a push for Miller at the deadline. LeBron needs help!
Denver: They could probably use Miller the most but what do they have that you want? Perhaps a 3-way??
Golden State: They need a PG but they have tons of space and Miller doesn't fit Nellie's system
Houston: Maybe but unlikely.
Orlando: Miller would be an upgrade but they have bigger holes to fill.

That's it.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2008, 01:56:04 PM »
Unless Miller goes to Miami this summer, I think he is here until the deadline at least.  I never liked the idea of Hinrich based on how high his contract number was last year and logically, if lazily, presumed that it would increase each year.  His de-escalating salary numbers certainly make him more attractive as an option at PG.  I think he needs to be paired up with a bit of a point forward/passing 2 guard like Iggy because he is not a pure distributor.  A quick, defensive minded back-up like Lowry would make him fit better as well.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2008, 02:18:26 PM »
The fact that Hinrich's contract decreases is just an added bonus to obtaining him but what I love is the 3 ball and scoring he can bring to the team. We asked Andre Miller to score a lot last season and he looked a little worn down going into the playoffs... can we ask him to do that again??

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2008, 02:45:16 PM »
Nope.