Author Topic: Player Movement Thread (Was Free Agency Thread)  (Read 253720 times)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
Re: Player Movement Thread (Was Free Agency Thread)
« Reply #1140 on: January 06, 2009, 09:49:48 AM »
One of the teams I think could benefit from acquiring Andre Miller is Portland.  They are playoff material this year and could use an upgrade, at least in the short term, at PG.  I think Miller would make them more of a threat in the playoffs and would be pretty valuable to a rising young team.  They have enough shooting that his three point range limitations should not be a big issue.

If they were interested would a reasonable return be Steve Blake (a lesser PG, but he can hit 3's who is signed through next year at a reasonable number), a disappointing big in Frye or Diogu and a shooting wing like Outlaw or Webster?  Portland has too many players on its roster and can package quantity for quality.  None of the returning players would be stars, but adding two shooters and a low in the rotation big man might help the team function better.  It would mean more time for Lou at the point.  Portland would not be losing anything it wasn't upgrading (Blake), disappointed with (Frye or Diogu) or have an excess of (Webster or Outlaw).  They might want one of our minimum guys like Theo, Rush or Ivey back just to even the roster numbers this year.  Thoughts?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: January 06, 2009, 11:59:53 AM »
Shaun Livingston released by Miami, any interest in a reclamation project?

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #1142 on: January 06, 2009, 01:57:06 PM »
Sure.  We have an open roster spot. Don't see the harm of a minimum contract.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: January 06, 2009, 02:21:46 PM »
According to the report, Livingston's release is more because of luxury tax reasons rather than his health.

If this is true I'd be all for it, especially if minutes open up after a Miller trade.  But I would not get your hopes up.  he can't really shoot or defend, so i doubt he's the type of addition the team is looking for.  Also, they probably need to keep a roster spot open in case they add an extra player through a trade.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: January 06, 2009, 02:48:50 PM »
The problem with Livingston is that he won't be back to whatever level you can call full health for him until next year.  Signing him just for the remainder of this year is paying for his continued rehab/recovery with no guaranty that he plays for you when he is healthy-ish and back to strength next year.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: January 06, 2009, 11:02:21 PM »
I give up playing with Sammy on the trade machine.  If Stefanski can get decent value of any kind for him I vote him executive of the year.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: January 07, 2009, 10:52:43 AM »
Ed Stefanski said Tuesday that he's just as disappointed in the 76ers' record this season as everybody else, and that he would consider a trade to improve the team as the Feb. 19 trade deadline draws closer.
Advertisement
Quantcast

It's clear that the Sixers need a 3-point shooter. They are last in the NBA in 3-point shooting percentage at 29.4 percent.

Their most tradeable player is point guard Andre Miller, who is in the final season of a contract that pays $10 million this season. He would be attractive to a team looking to cut salary after the season while adding depth this season.

Miller knows this. But he said he won't ask for a trade to a contender if the Sixers don't improve their position in the next few weeks.

"I'm almost 33," Miller said. "Every player wants to be on a contender, but I don't want it to seem like if I was going that way, that it would be a bailout on the team. But I do understand that it's a business. I'm not going to fall into that trap. I'm just going to continue and go out and do my job."

Miller also said he hasn't talked about a contract extension. Stefanski said he has talked to Miller's agent, Andy Miller (no relation), but that "both sides haven't decided what they want to do."

That could indicate that Miller isn't sure he wants to stay with the Sixers, just as much as the Sixers aren't sure they want him back.

"It's not really important right now," Miller said.

"Every player thinks about (an extension) for a little bit, but I'm just trying to block it out and concentrate on the rest of the season."

Stefanski said last summer that he wasn't in a hurry to give Miller a contract extension because he had other pressing needs, such as signing free agent Elton Brand, re-signing Andre Iguodala and Lou Williams, and giving an extension to coach Maurice Cheeks, who was fired in December.

Stefanski also said he's not "shopping" Miller.
http://www.courierpostonline.com/article/20090107/SPORTS03/901070364/1002/SPORTS

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: January 07, 2009, 11:05:17 AM »
He should be shopping him, he really should be.

Offline carolina blue

• View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: January 07, 2009, 01:22:02 PM »
Dalembert and Lou Williams to Dallas for Diop and Jason Terry

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: January 07, 2009, 01:25:41 PM »
Dalembert and Lou Williams to Dallas for Diop and Jason Terry

Welcome back to the board.  Is this a fantasy trade, or something that is actually going down?

BTW, that sounds like a bad deal.  Within a couple of years Lou will be better than Terry but with a much better contract.  Diop also has a long contract for someone who is so limited.  Those contracts make Sam's look short.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 01:43:29 PM by tk76- »

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: January 07, 2009, 02:02:33 PM »
The sad thing is that other bigs with bad contracts, other than fat Eddy Curry, that might be traded for Sammy an be considered to be having better years than Sammy at a lower price.  Look at these PER's and contracts for some very bad players:

Erick Dampier - 15.29 ($11 million for three years)
Desagna Diop - 12.40 ($6 million for four years - I don't want a longer bad deal back)
Joel Pryzbilla - 17.89 ($6.5 million for three years)
Dan Gadzuric - 14.50 ($6.3 million for three years)

Sam Dalembert - 11.20 ($12+ million counting the trade kicker for three years)

That's right, Dan Gadzuric has a higher PER than Sammy.  Sam certainly has more athletic ability than most of those guys, but will anyone buy at his price based on his untapped potential these days?

I have not heard the Terry rumor if it is one, but there is no way we get him for Sammy, and Diop's contract is too long.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: January 07, 2009, 02:31:34 PM »
PER can be misleading- I think Sam still is better than those guys.  That said, his contract + trade kicker is bad.  I'm still thinking we should keep Sam as a back-up or low minute starter at center.  Theo is on his last legs and they still need Sam's rebounding and defense once Theo is gone.

If they can get some value for Sam then great, otherwise use him like Dampier or Diop is used and forget about the salary.  Every team has bad salary guys, at least Sam has some use.  Just don't play him more than 20-25 mpg.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: January 07, 2009, 02:43:05 PM »
PER can be misleading- I think Sam still is better than those guys.  That said, his contract + trade kicker is bad.  I'm still thinking we should keep Sam as a back-up or low minute starter at center.  Theo is on his last legs and they still need Sam's rebounding and defense once Theo is gone.

If they can get some value for Sam then great, otherwise use him like Dampier or Diop is used and forget about the salary.  Every team has bad salary guys, at least Sam has some use.  Just don't play him more than 20-25 mpg.

Agreed.  In any case I expect to see Brand playing C a lot when he comes back, probably not starting there officially, but he can provide shotblocking and rebounding plus actual offense.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: January 07, 2009, 05:24:40 PM »
Shaun Livingston released by Miami, any interest in a reclamation project?

From RealGm wiretap:
The Miami Heat announced today that they have traded guard Shaun Livingston and cash considerations to the Memphis Grizzles for a 2012 conditional second round draft pick. In four games this season, Livingston averaged 2.3 points and 1.0 assists in 10.3 minutes. The 6?7? guard signed with the Heat as a free agent on October 3, 2008. He was originally drafted by the Los Angeles Clippers with the fourth overall pick in the 2004 NBA Draft.

A 2012 conditional 2nd round draft pick.  That is pretty close to a bag of balls.

BTW, Memphis likely cut Miles to free the spot for Livingston.  Does that effect Miles caphold for Portland?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: January 07, 2009, 05:55:12 PM »
I hear that Miles is likely to get signed once 10 day contracts are allowed.  I think it likely that he will surpass the total needed to make his contract number count for Portland.  Portland might want another $10 million expiring perhaps?  Andre Miller fits the bill.

Memphis confuses the heck out of me, but I guess that is a good thing.