Author Topic: Player Movement Thread (Was Free Agency Thread)  (Read 249584 times)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Re: Tracking Free Agency
« Reply #945 on: August 07, 2008, 10:51:09 AM »
I agree with Skates in that if you are going to have tp potentially overpay then try to keep the contact as short as possible.  I'd rather give him a 4 year max contract than 6 years starting at 12M. 

I see the point about limiting flexibility, but if you look at he cap, they really only have 3 points where they will be possibly under it- at 3 years and 5 years.  Otherwise, they are pretty much stuck over the cap.  I just wonder if at 3 years when Sam, Young and WG expire will they be willing to go well into the tax to resign or upgrade Sam.  I'd hate to see them let Sam walk just to stay under the tax.

Offline Sub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #946 on: August 07, 2008, 10:54:14 AM »
I just wonder if at 3 years when Sam, Young and WG expire will they be willing to go well into the tax to resign or upgrade Sam.  I'd hate to see them let Sam walk just to stay under the tax.

Sam isn't the one I'd be worrying about in that trio. Young is. Unless you meant Evans instead of Thaddeus.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #947 on: August 07, 2008, 11:20:52 AM »
I just wonder if at 3 years when Sam, Young and WG expire will they be willing to go well into the tax to resign or upgrade Sam.  I'd hate to see them let Sam walk just to stay under the tax.

Sam isn't the one I'd be worrying about in that trio. Young is. Unless you meant Evans instead of Thaddeus.

I think Evans is probably what was meant there since Young can be extended for a year at that point.  The potentially scary guy, and this is looking way ahead, could be Speights.  We have seen the atlent and we know the concerns.  When it is time to sign him long term, suppose he has become a statistical monster.  If you sign him to a huge deal at that point does he stay focused or are we dealing with the next Z-Bo, Vin Baker, Shawn Kemp type of situation  or a legitimate long-term superstar.  At least with Iggy, he might get over paid by a million or two, but the chances of him getting fat and complacent seem minimal.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: August 07, 2008, 11:30:42 AM »
Thad will get the money cleared up by the other guys.  I certainly will be fine with letting Evans and WG walk in 3 years.  Again, my worry is that Sam's 12M will be seen as a way to stay under the tax- and he won't be extended or replaced for tax reasons.

By then Iguodala + Brand + Young could account for 42M, not leaving much space for a 10M+ quality center and PG(maybe Lou will be starting though?) 

I know this is hard to project into the future.  The main point is that you can only spend so much money under the tax, and Iguodala, Brand and Young will be making a ton, so the team would need to be willing to pay the tax to add 2 other top starters that are at least at the quality of Miller and Sam.  Fortunately, their bench of Speights, Lou and Smith should be solid and affordable.

jemagee

« Reply #949 on: August 07, 2008, 11:48:10 AM »
Haven't even played one game of the elton brand era, already speculating 3 years ahead.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #950 on: August 07, 2008, 11:50:42 AM »
Haven't even played one game of the elton brand era, already speculating 3 years ahead.

Well, this is a message board....

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: August 07, 2008, 11:53:45 AM »

If you are trying to guess the impact of a big 5 year deal I think you have to try and look past this season?

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #952 on: August 07, 2008, 12:22:34 PM »
According to Chad Ford, Biedrins' contract is actually a 5 year/$45MIL deal....

Leilani (Kappa, Kauai): What did you think of the contracts Mullin gave Ellis and Mr. Hair Gel?

SportsNation Chad Ford: (1:18 PM ET ) Biedrins was just about right ... 5 years, $45 million (not the $60 million that was reported ... that last $15 million was in highly unlikely bonuses like Biedrins winning MVP ...etc.). Ellis was on the high side for an undersized combo guard who isn't really a point and doesn't shoot the ball well. Ellis can really score and get to the basket ... but is he that much better than Leandro Barbosa?

I think that's a fairly solid contract for him and sort of makes up for the overspending he did with Maggette.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=21845

jemagee

« Reply #953 on: August 07, 2008, 12:40:58 PM »
Chad Ford seems to be working very hard to make mullin NOT a bad GM this off season...i'm not sure why

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #954 on: August 07, 2008, 01:03:54 PM »
Now the Euro-threat to the NBA really gets scary.  Earl Boykins goes to Italy and becomes their highest paid player.  Any chance we can trade WG to some club team in Denmark?

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/8417126/Agent:-Boykins-signs-with-Italian-team

jemagee

« Reply #955 on: August 07, 2008, 01:21:39 PM »
The issue is that guys like kobe say they'd consider it for 40 or 50 mil a year, and those crazy fracking euros have it and have no restrictions on spending

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #956 on: August 07, 2008, 02:12:33 PM »
for 50 million a year, I think most people would consider it.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: August 07, 2008, 02:27:21 PM »
The Euro leagues are turning into the modern day ABA.  This isn't the first time NBA talent was raided.

Let Lebron and Kobe go.  It would not bother me a bot- and its not like anyone is going to offer Iguodala 30M over there.

Offline pointguard86

• View Profile
« Reply #958 on: August 07, 2008, 03:03:42 PM »
The issue is that guys like kobe say they'd consider it for 40 or 50 mil a year, and those crazy fracking euros have it and have no restrictions on spending

$50M a year?...is BK a Euro GM now?  :)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #959 on: August 07, 2008, 03:14:54 PM »

$50M a year?...is BK a Euro GM now?  :)

Well, if BK were the GM giving out that contract, he'd surely make a 7 year deal.