Author Topic: Player Movement Thread (Was Free Agency Thread)  (Read 253750 times)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Re: Tracking Free Agency
« Reply #495 on: July 14, 2008, 01:08:04 PM »
I'm just looking to summer 2013.  I hope there are some stud FA's on the market, because Thad/Lou/Speights will be in their prime and the Sixers will have about 35M in expiring contracts.  Call it the Ricky Rubio plan  :)

As for this summer, I'm sure we will all breath a sigh of releaf when the Clippers finally sign a PF.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 01:09:39 PM by tk76- »

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #496 on: July 14, 2008, 01:09:13 PM »
Just because the Bucks GM gave that terrible contract doesn't mean that other teams will be willing to pay that standard any more than Salim Stoudemire will get 5 years 15 million from a team just because BK gave Wille Green that.  Agents realize that as well but will fight hard as hell anyway because it's their job.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #497 on: July 14, 2008, 01:09:13 PM »
Ahhh... alright... well I think this is all cleared up. The one thing about Bogut is that big men do get paid more so I'm not sure how effective Iguodala's agent will be when using that as a benchmark. Regardless of whether the Clippers actually sign him to an offer sheet or not, the Clippers figure to drive up the Sixers' negotiations with Iguodala. I'm sure that Iguodala will ask for at least whatever Josh Smith, Luol Deng, or Monte Ellis sign for. I think we should all hope that the Clippers sign Okafor to an offer sheet or trade for Zach Randolph. I don't think a huge offer sheet to Okafor would severely impact Iguodala's money for the same reason Bogut's deal shouldn't.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: July 14, 2008, 01:11:19 PM »
Ellis and Deng will effect Iguodala.  I doubt what a PF signs for will effect his market value.

jemagee

« Reply #499 on: July 14, 2008, 01:14:54 PM »
Is Andre Iguodala twice as valuable to the sixers as Mikael Pietrus should be considered to the magic?

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #500 on: July 14, 2008, 01:25:45 PM »
Is Andre Iguodala twice as valuable to the sixers as Mikael Pietrus should be considered to the magic?

Just because one guy is making 6 million and another is making 12 doesn't mean a guy is twice as valuable.  As contract value go up, value above previous contract level goes down.  So like, a guy making twice as much may only be 1/3 better.  People pay more for quality.

jemagee

« Reply #501 on: July 14, 2008, 01:37:59 PM »
Well that doesn't really answer the question and it ignores my point...the agents argument...people said bogut doesn't can't, but pietrus does, and maggette does...is andre iguodala better, more valuable, and with more upside than corey maggette?  If anyone feels the answer is yes, than he deserves more money than corey maggette, at least if i were his agent that's what i'd say....so use corey maggette as a starting point, then factor in all the agent points

1.  Younger
2.  Team leader
3.  heart and soul, yada yad yad yad

And if people want to ignored boguts contract, that's fine, but as I see it, andre iguodala is worth what the clippers are willing to pay him and as far as i'm concerned he's worth more than corey maggette, (or how ever you spell that thing)

he was offered 57 million last year, and he was worth it then, as far as i'm concerned he stepped his game up over the long haul of the season to justify the fact that the 60 million he wanted (and couldn't get from idiot GM) was a good deal...the sixers are in this problem of their own making.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #502 on: July 14, 2008, 01:39:57 PM »
Ellis and Deng will effect Iguodala.  I doubt what a PF signs for will effect his market value.

Agreed, those two and possibly Ben Gordon are the appropriate market comparables for Iggy.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #503 on: July 14, 2008, 01:40:15 PM »
Well that doesn't really answer the question and it ignores my point...the agents argument...people said bogut doesn't can't, but pietrus does, and maggette does...is andre iguodala better, more valuable, and with more upside than corey maggette?  If anyone feels the answer is yes, than he deserves more money than corey maggette, at least if i were his agent that's what i'd say....so use corey maggette as a starting point, then factor in all the agent points

1.  Younger
2.  Team leader
3.  heart and soul, yada yad yad yad

And if people want to ignored boguts contract, that's fine, but as I see it, andre iguodala is worth what the clippers are willing to pay him and as far as i'm concerned he's worth more than corey maggette, (or how ever you spell that thing)

he was offered 57 million last year, and he was worth it then, as far as i'm concerned he stepped his game up over the long haul of the season to justify the fact that the 60 million he wanted (and couldn't get from idiot GM) was a good deal...the sixers are in this problem of their own making.

To be fair, if Iguodala had signed 5/57 or 5/60 last offseason, Elton Brand wouldn't be a Sixer right now.

jemagee

« Reply #504 on: July 14, 2008, 01:42:59 PM »
To be fair, if Iguodala had signed 5/57 or 5/60 last offseason, Elton Brand wouldn't be a Sixer right now.

Is that true?  What's Iguodalas cap hold versus what his cap number would have been if he signed the contract already...Aren't cap holds like 3 times the yearly salary, so if he made 3 milllion last season, he counts 9 million as a cap hold unless they renounce his rights and make him a restricted free agent...it's been explained before, but i forget it right now...but I'm not 100% sure that your statement is accurate

jemagee

« Reply #505 on: July 14, 2008, 01:45:06 PM »

Agreed, those two and possibly Ben Gordon are the appropriate market comparables for Iggy.

I think they all their agents are playing a game of chicken, plus there are agent speak arguments to be made that Iguodala is more valuable than all of them (rightly or wrongly, Iguodala is seen as the 'focus' of the sixers whereas none of the other three have been yet...GSW was Barons team, no one was running the bulls and in their 'contract drive years' only one of them stepped it up and carried his team BEYOND their expectations while the bulls and warriors under achieved depending on those players mentioned above, rightly or wrongly used.)...I'm not saying I AGREE with the arguments, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Iguodalas agent use such arguments through the media.

Speaking of which, anyone know who Iguodalas agent is?

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #506 on: July 14, 2008, 01:50:17 PM »
Iguodala on a 5/57 contract would still be making around 10.8ish (very rough guesstimate) this year, his cap hold was in the 9 mil range.  Every dollar counted, so it would've made enough of a difference.

His agent is Rob Pelinka, who also happens to be Maggette's agent.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #507 on: July 14, 2008, 01:50:55 PM »
Iguodala's cap hold is $8.3MIL. If he would have signed his extension last summer, his starting salary probably would have eaten about another million off of our cap space.

jemagee

« Reply #508 on: July 14, 2008, 01:52:22 PM »
Iguodala on a 5/57 contract would still be making around 10.8ish (very rough guesstimate) this year, his cap hold was in the 9 mil range.  Every dollar counted, so it would've made enough of a difference.
Is the range percentage 12.5% still for your own free agents?

jemagee

« Reply #509 on: July 14, 2008, 01:53:23 PM »
Iguodala's cap hold is $8.3MIL. If he would have signed his extension last summer, his starting salary probably would have eaten about another million off of our cap space.

I don't understand how the system works all that well...if you say so (9.4 million at 12.5% raises for 5 years btw equals 60.3 million)

So if what you all is saying is true, Iguodala actually helped the sixers by not agreeing to their low ball offer last off season, cause if he had they wouldn't have been able to get brand...now a good agent might be able to massage that into a negotiating chip :)