Author Topic: Who Ya Got? East Versus West  (Read 3159 times)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
Who Ya Got? East Versus West
« on: June 30, 2008, 11:31:08 AM »
We all know the Western Conference has been the powerhouse of the league since MJ left Chicago but I'm starting to wonder if things are becoming a lot more balanced. Currently, I look at the West and while a 48 win team missed the playoffs, I believe a couple of the top teams are starting to fall off. Phoenix, for example, is now a very old team (Shaq 36, Nash 34, Hill 36) and they have lost their coach and sort of their identity although it probably needed to change. Dallas didn't look right after the Kidd trade and even though they have some pieces, they too find themselves getting older and under a new coach. On the flipside you have teams like Portland and Seattle who figure to only get better and so perhaps they will pick up where others fall off.

On the East side, you had three major franchises (New York, Philly, and Boston) who 12 months ago were absolutely terrible and weren't a factor in the league. Suddenly, Boston is the World Champs, Philly is one of the better young teams with a lot of cap space, and New York is now under the controls of Donnie Walsh and Mike D'Antoni. The top two picks in the NBA Draft both went to Eastern Conference teams which should figure to have Chicago and Miami as young and upcoming teams. Toronto just acquired Jermaine O'Neal which should boost them up a notch and make them a tougher competitor in the league. Also, you can look at some young teams like Milwaukee, New Jersey, Orlando, and Atlanta and say that they seem to have a direction and are all headed up. Finally... there's that LeBron guy in Cleveland.

To quote Jim Morrison, I still believe "The West is the Best" but I really do believe that not only is the gap much closer between the conferences right now than it has been in 10 or so years, but I believe the conferences will remain fairly balanced for a while since both seem to have about the same number of young, on the rise teams.

Thoughts??

Offline sixersftw

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Who Ya Got? East Versus West
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 11:44:58 AM »
I think at the top of both conferences it is just about even with a slight edge to the east.  I have no data to back this up but just from observations the western conferences lower tier playoff teams are worse than their records indicate to me.  the lower half of the western bracket got murdered.  while every east series was competitive.  The eastern teams are grittier and dirtier, built for the playoffs while the west, sans the spurs, are built to rack up the regular season wins.

i think the tide is turning though for sure.  in the next couple of years i see portland and the lakers as the only teams in the west that have legit finals aspirations (both of those are young improving teams as well).  the spurs have finals aspirations as well but timmy has got to get old sometime.  The east has a far greater number of up and coming teams while the west has what appears to be a greater number stuck in neutral.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 11:50:34 AM »
A lot might change in the next two summers with Brand, Boozer and the whole opt-out FA class of 2010.  I don't know that the East-West balance will change or not based on those FA's, but I bet that the small market vs. big market balance will swing strongly in favor of the bigger markets.  The East vs. West thing will soon be irrelevant, if Oden gets and stays healthy they will all be playing in the Trailblazers' world in a few years.

jemagee

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 12:23:02 PM »
The west is still the best top to bottom, i mean seriously, teams that missed in the west would be a 5 seed in the east.

And the celtics i think are going to get old, fast, and the pistons have already started fading and are looking to blow it up, the cavs were a one hit wonder and that trade didn't make them better as far as i'm concerned and the bulls are an unkown while the magic and raptors MIGHT be ascendant, but who really knows.

Whereas the jazz, lakers, spurs are still going to be about the same, the mavs might still be quality next year, the warriors are still better than most eastern teams and the blazers are ascendant much more obviously than the magic or raptors in my mind.

I'm still taking the west as the best CONFERENCE top to bottom, not necessarily the team that wins the title, but eh best conference

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 12:31:55 PM »
I agree with Jem.... while the East looks poised to POSSIBLY turn the tables in about 5-6 years, present NBA supremacy still resides in the Western Conference. 

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 01:09:49 PM »
I see a shift in power within the West, but still a big advantage for the west over the East.  The champion may come from the East, but the West will continue to be the dominant conference.

I can see Portland and LA being the best teams in the NAB, while the Jazz and Hornets are young should be good for a while (assuming Boozer stays.)

The two great EC teams have a very short shelf life, and the up and comers look to lack the type of dominant superstars that make you champions.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 01:52:54 PM »
Here is my look at the teams in each conference (in order of last season's records) and how I think they will do in the short (2008-2010 seasons) term and longer term future based on where they are today:

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Celtics - Probably have a two year window at a very high level, long term they will have to convert the big three's future expiring contracts into talented new faces or it's back to the lottery.

Pistons - Short term window is still open, but prospects not as high as C's right now.  Long term will likely transition semi-smoothly to a younger, play-off caliber team, but how long until they reach the top of the conference after the curent core departs?

Magic - Short and long term they look like second round playoff victims.  The Rashard Lewis deal has killed their flexibility to take the team to the next level and absent an injury to D. Howard their draft picks won't be very high.

Cavaliers - LeBron can always carry this team to to the finals, but doubtful that he will be carrying them after the summer of 2010.

Wizards - Similar to the Magic, especially if they kill their future cap for Arenas and Jamison.

Raptors - May be competing with the C's for Eastern supremacy in the next two years if O'Neal is healthy.  Long term - can they keep Bosh in 2010?  Might depend on the strength of the Canadian dollar.

76ers - Short term is very unpredictable, but definitely a team on the rise.  Long term looks promising if they don't screw the cap with a bad FA signing.

Hawks - Look like a 42-46 win team in the short term, new management team gives some hope for converting the young core into championship contender material in the long term, screwed up ownership issues scare me.

Pacers - Just starting the rebuild, expect to see Tinsley and Williams jettisoned as they clean out the head cases.  No superstar to build around, long term chances depend on luck in future lotteries.

Nets - Just biding time until the trade deadline or summer of 2010, it will be boom or bust then.  If they don't strike it big then they should at least have enough good, young talent to be a low level playoff team.

Bulls - Should be a team on the rise, if they suck this year Paxson will get the boot and their long term future will look brighter.

Bobcats - MJ + LB + mediocre talent + strange draft = overachieving in the short term, followed by the usual post-LB fall-off.  MJ becomes the modern day Elgin Baylor of personnel moves, and Elgin is insulted.

Bucks - I have no idea what they are doing, but they are doing it forcefully.  Looking to model themselves on the Hawks plan of playing 5 small forwards together at some point?  Scott Skiles will improve them to a possible 8 seed for a while, then the burn-out begins.

Knicks - See what I said about NJ, except without the young talent.

Heat - Short term Spoelstra will work hard to mesh the currently disparate parts, long term expect them to pull in a big star in 2010 and for Riley to be back on the bench with spoelstra getting a pat on the back for doing the heavy lifting while Riley enjoys the good times.

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Lakers - Short term contenders when Bynum return, long term they need to start planning for the post-Kobe era, his is piling up mileage fast, but the Lakers have been in the lottery less than anyone for a reason.

Hornets - Already very good and likely to get better.

Spurs - Similar to the Celtics, need to re-tool short term and hit the lottery and/or FA post-Duncan in a couple of years.

Jazz - Short term look like contenders to reach the conference finals, long term depends on Boozer staying, and staying healthy, for a long run at a high level.

Rockets - I am getting the same kind of bad feeling about them I had about the Heat last year.  Injury prone superstar players surrounded by role players is not a great way to build a team.  Unless they stay healthy I don't see many more big winning streaks in Houston.

Suns - If they still have a CHiP window, it is closing fast.  Long term looks mediocre.

Mavericks - Already heading into mediocrity, but may make some noise in the next year or two.

Nuggets - They need to make big changes this summer or this will be team fun to watch, frustrating in the play-offs for the foreseeable future.

Warriors - Short term will entertain, but win nothing of significance.  Similar to Denver, but way more young talent, so the long term may be better once Nellie's liver gives out.

Trail Blazers - Oodles of young talent, regional competition moving to OKC, aggressive GM with lots of stashed Euros and future picks, plus Paul Allen's checkbook.  They can be very good even if Oden doesn't fully recover, dominant if he does.

Kings - Mediocre would look pretty good right now, long term Kevin Martin will become one of those good players on perenially bad to mediocre teams.

Clippers - I have no clue, and neither do they usually.

Timberwolves - Kevin McHale and no one on the team who can play adequate D at their position.  'nuff said.

Grizzlies - Bad organization, bad things happen to bad organizations.  Call them the anti-Blazers.

SuperSonics - Short term I see more trips to the lottery.  Long term should be much more promising, although some of their moves are befuddling they will have too much talent to not win a lot of games down the road.

Balancing the conferences long term, in the East once the C's and Pistons start to fail there are no sure things.  Teams on the rise like the Sixers, Hawks and Raptors all have cloudy or dangerous, but potentially bright, futures.  Miami and Chicago could make quick turn-arounds with some smart personnel decisions.  NJ and NY are looking long-term only.

In the West the usual suspects from last year (Spurs, Lakers, Hornets and Jazz) should rule the roost for now, with the Hornets, Blazers, and Sonics with very strong long term outlooks, plus the Jazz, warriors and Lakers are likely to be good and/or rebuild quickly if they slip.  Overall the biggest difference is the better run organizations in the West.  I think the balance will get closer, but give the strong edge to the West in the short and long terms.  The worst organizations are also in the West in Minnesota and memphis.  They are essentially a lottery pick feeder system for the good teams.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 07:59:39 AM »
Ummm... everyone makes a big deal about the win totals in the West this past year but in looking at the Western Conference for this upcoming season, I see a LOT of bad teams out there.

Oklahoma, the Clippers, Kings, Wolves, Warriors, and Grizzlies are all pretty brutal teams right now. It's no wonder the Suns and Lakers will have 50+ wins this year... 12 of them will be coming from playing the Kings, Warriors, and Clips.

jemagee

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 08:47:31 AM »
There's a lot of bad teams in the east as well

there are only 24 'different' games on any nba schedule versus every team.

You play ever team at least twice, so about slightly more than 60% of the schedule is the same
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 08:49:12 AM by jemagee »