Author Topic: Draft Stuff  (Read 1616 times)

jemagee

Draft Stuff
« on: June 25, 2008, 09:34:16 PM »
I have NO idea what the heat have against michael beasley, if it's anything, or if they are just playing people to try and see if they can get someone to grossly over pay for the #2 pick, but ESPN is reporting that the heat brought in Mayo AND Bayless for workouts today, 24 hours (or so) before the draft.

Didn't Pat Riley used to be a genius?  What does he seem to have against Michael Beasley?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Draft Stuff
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 08:34:39 AM »

Didn't Pat Riley used to be a genius?  What does he seem to have against Michael Beasley?

Beasley's maturity...or lack thereof.  One analyst compared him to Carmelo...a solid player but too much potential off court baggage.  And add South Beach to the equation and Beasley in Miami is a pr nightmare just waiting to happen.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 08:45:33 AM »
Lurker I have to agree that the South Beach part of the equation is a special concern.  Obviously a famous young man with loads of cash could get in to trouble anywhere but South Beach does seem to be the home of more than it's share of trouble.
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

jemagee

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 08:58:34 AM »
He's 19 years old and he's pulled some pranks, yes he's immature, he is nineteen years old...it's not like he's a huge discipline problem.

It's unfair to beasley to compare him to carmelo any more than it's fair to compare gallianri to other euro players recently....

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 09:10:00 AM »
jemagee I should clarify.  I like Beasley a lot and yes, it's not as if he looks like the next Chris Washburn or anything.
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 09:39:03 AM »
Yes he is 19.  He is immature.  He can end up being a NBA all-star for many years.  IMO he should be the #1 pick because he is the best player in this draft.

He also can end up with DUI charges each summer.  He can quickly fall in with the wrong crowds.  The opportunities to make bad, immature decisions will increase hundreds fold after he signs his contract.  These are the things that IMO Riley is concerned about.  I also have heard that his workouts have not been positive...bad attitude towards the amount of work demanded.  Questions about his dedication to improving.

Look what Artest & Jackson basically did to the Pacers franchise...very talented players but a bit "immature".  This is something that any GM has to be concerned with. 
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

jemagee

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 09:42:52 AM »
The opportunities to make bad, immature decisions will increase hundreds fold after he signs his contract.

That applies to every player drafted in the first 10-15 picks though, and the fact that they are looking to OJ Mayo is the ultimate in hypocrisy as far as I'm concerned.  If he has issues with beasley he should have issues with Mayo.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 10:58:57 AM »
Regardless of his immaturity, his talent - as always, it comes back to the talent - will make him the second pick of the draft, if Chicago is committed to Rose; otherwise he goes #1.

The tryouts of Mayo and Bayless were simply loud, not-so-secret rouses by Riley to stir up the pot. Beasley will be entertaining - a personality - but his life choices will be made so public from now on, he has got to be kidding himself if he actually believes the "I'm a kid" quote he uses to excuse his excesses.

His full quote was: "I'm a kid. I don't want to grow up too fast. I want to live my life. People that think I'm immature? I'm not 25. I don't know why people want me to act like I'm 30. I want to have fun. I just want to be a kid sometimes."

He is not a "mature" 25, or 30?

Wrong answer, by a mile. 

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 04:32:20 PM »
Regardless of his immaturity, his talent - as always, it comes back to the talent - will make him the second pick of the draft, if Chicago is committed to Rose; otherwise he goes #1.

The tryouts of Mayo and Bayless were simply loud, not-so-secret rouses by Riley to stir up the pot. Beasley will be entertaining - a personality - but his life choices will be made so public from now on, he has got to be kidding himself if he actually believes the "I'm a kid" quote he uses to excuse his excesses.

His full quote was: "I'm a kid. I don't want to grow up too fast. I want to live my life. People that think I'm immature? I'm not 25. I don't know why people want me to act like I'm 30. I want to have fun. I just want to be a kid sometimes."

Wrong answer, by a mile. 

You are right.  At the end of day talent outweighs immaturity and liability.  Talent fills seats, filled seats bring money, and the money pays the PR/Lawyers to smooth things over...lets not pretend like some of the most dedicated and professional players in this league have not got themselves into trouble.  Kobe, MJ, Barkley, James Worthy....all these players have got themselves into all type of trouble.

HOWEVER, Beasly is not the only talent in the draft.  His talent is not the type of talent it looks like the Heat/Riley need.  Riley wants to play the fast break/uptempo game now that Marion is not opting out.  They need a strong point guard to distribute the ball to Wade and Marion who can hit a jumper.  If they go with Beasley that forces Wade into the play maker role for himself, Beasley, and Marion.  He is more then talented enough to play that role but can be much more explosive if he can spend more time scoring then distributing.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 04:57:20 PM »

Wrong answer, by a mile. 

You are right.  At the end of day talent outweighs immaturity and liability.  Talent fills seats, filled seats bring money, and the money pays the PR/Lawyers to smooth things over...lets not pretend like some of the most dedicated and professional players in this league have not got themselves into trouble.  Kobe, MJ, Barkley, James Worthy....all these players have got themselves into all type of trouble.

HOWEVER, Beasly is not the only talent in the draft.  His talent is not the type of talent it looks like the Heat/Riley need.  Riley wants to play the fast break/uptempo game now that Marion is not opting out.  They need a strong point guard to distribute the ball to Wade and Marion who can hit a jumper.  If they go with Beasley that forces Wade into the play maker role for himself, Beasley, and Marion.  He is more then talented enough to play that role but can be much more explosive if he can spend more time scoring then distributing.

You think Mayo is an option here? He is not a true point guard and more of a Wade clone then another piece.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

jemagee

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 05:03:35 PM »
There are rumors that Pat Riley would like a wade/mayo back court (and we won't get into how over rated wade might actually be and how injury prone he seems) and has issues with Beasley he doesn't have with Mayo, but I dont think the heat are this dumb...even if they don't want to KEEP beasley he's a trade asset

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 06:08:48 PM »

Wrong answer, by a mile. 

You think Mayo is an option here? He is not a true point guard and more of a Wade clone then another piece.

I see Mayo as a Baron Davis/Gilbert Arenas type player.  A guy who is more of a scorer but can distribute the ball if the play is there.  I don't expect him to come out of the gate and dominate the ball his rookie year with Wade/Marion there so he would be more passive.  He is also another ball handler who can lead the break with Wade and Marion on the sides.   Obviously the #1 pick this year would be the better fit but they don't have it.

As good as Michael Beasley is he plays the wrong position for the direction the Heat want to go in.  Is that the right direction?  To be honest, no I think a guy down low and a guy on the perimeter would be the better way to go.  I'm just saying that is not the direction the Heat are going in.  His immaturity and "'baggage" is not even a real issue.  Riley thinks he's going to re-make Showtime Heat.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 06:10:31 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com