Author Topic: Congratulations  (Read 4127 times)

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Congratulations
« on: June 17, 2008, 11:25:36 PM »
First of all for the Lakers, who had a wonderful season.  Kupchak has done a masterful job putting together a tremendous team.  And I believe Kobe has risen to becoming a true leader.  He was a deserving MVP and in addition to being the deadliest player on the planet, he has finally learned to trust his teammates and the difference in his game was noticeable.  I think the future for the Lakers is brighter than any team.   

And of course The Boston Celtics.  Danny Ainge for not delving into melancholy after having an awful season and getting the 5th pick in the draft hearkening to 97, instead he got on the phones and brought in the players to get the job done.  Doc Rivers, despite the doubts of critics (including this one), showed he could coach the talent to the promised land.  Ray Allen turning it up when it counted most.  Eddie House and PJ Brown for knowing and playing their roles to the fullest.  Leon "the Show" Powe for just surviving.  The free agent signing that seems  to have been lost in the wilderness, James Posey.  An integral player during the Miami championship, now an integral player for Boston; his competitivness is as responsible as anything for the championship.  Paul Pierce for shedding doubts about his heart, his unselfishness, and his ability to come through with a total basketball effort on both sides of the court.  And finally for Kevin Garnett for being a man amongst men.  The emotional center around which the Celtics galvanize.  The heart and soul of the team, for being the living embodiment of the Celtics team identity.  Congratulations to Kevin Garnett. 

For posterity's sake and the political reasons, I understand why the long-tenured Celtic captain, Paul Pierce was the Finals MVP.  My vote goes to Kevin Garnett.  The consistency and manic intensity by which he plays the game is an inspiration to anyone who loves to play basketball.  I am truly happy for him as I believe no one in the NBA, all 450 rostered players, deserved to win a championship more than Kevin Garnett. 
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Re: Congratulations
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 11:33:33 PM »
For posterity's sake and the political reasons, I understand why the long-tenured Celtic captain, Paul Pierce was the Finals MVP.  My vote goes to Kevin Garnett.  The consistency and manic intensity by which he plays the game is an inspiration to anyone who loves to play basketball.  I am truly happy for him as I believe no one in the NBA, all 450 rostered players, deserved to win a championship more than Kevin Garnett.

I agree with this 100%.  This is why defense wins championships.  Kevin Garnett's intensity, defense, and rebounding come every night.  They're a constant.  his consistent game allows the other 2 to do what they do best without having to go out of their element.  Kevin Garnett was the one piece of the big 3 they couldn't lose.  There's no question who had the biggest impact in the series.

Offline Khamit

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 07:42:28 AM »
I stop watching mid-way through the third.  It was just too painful. :'(    The Celtics defense was spectacular!   To say they shut them down is an understatement.

I couldn't be happier for KG.  He's been my favorite player from the moment he came into the league. Also growing up Atlanta I rooted for the Hawks when I wasn't rooting for the Lakers so I'm very happy for Doc.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 09:17:03 AM »
I did not watch most of the series.  Great job by the Lakers the in their turn around from last season to getting all the way back to the finals.  I have to say I do like seeing KG get his ring - it is well deserved IMHO. 
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 10:42:00 AM »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 10:42:57 AM »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 10:49:01 AM »

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 11:18:52 AM »
Congratulations to the Celtics on an awesome Finals performance and victory.  It's been said a million times and it's always true: defense wins championships.  The Celtics are playing some of the best D I've seen in a long time, if not ever, and that was clearly the major factor in winning the title.  Their three future hall of famers are tough enough to deal with and when you add a tough bench of guys that play with heart and passion on each play, it's almost impossible to overcome. 

While this series has renewed my rivalry juices with Boston, it's hard not to be happy for KG, Pierce and especially Doc who is a class act. 

Here's to hoping we're fortunate enough to get another shot at Boston next year! 

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 12:39:26 PM »
Congrats to Boston.  I have a lot of mixed feelings about watching them win.  Overall though, I'm glad Garnett was able to get over the hump and win one. 

Pierce certainly earned MVP, Allen redeemed himself after his weak showings in the early rounds and the Laker bench came to Earth while the Celtic bench picked it up.
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 12:44:32 PM »
^^ team effort all the way around, what can you say.
James Posey playing a Barrdog type excellence role in two titles now, Miami and Boston.

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 12:46:47 PM »
I just wanted to give the Celtics props for being the better team in this series.  Doc put together a great defensive scheme which the Celtic players executed well (esp. at home).  The lack of post play for the Lakers gave the Celtics a great opportunity for playing Kobe up close physically and then swarming him whenever he went to the basket.  Also, the Celtics ruled the Lakers on the boards and the Lakers flat looked whimpy.  The better team won and I just wanted to give them props (I don't think we have any Celtic fans to prop here).  

Now I leave you to Reality's idiotic ramblings -- to think that this board was once a fun place to hang out.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 12:56:05 PM »
time for you to skirt.  Your Laker House brothers tried diminishing the Dongahy statements but with JoeV, Skandery and others on board y'all better skidaddle.

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 12:57:04 PM »
Congrats to our Laker fans.  You didn't win, but looking at how things have gone the past year, it must looked as a successful season.  I hope than in a couple of years when can start putting some pressure on you, the Spurs, and Utah.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 01:29:48 PM »
Clearly the conspiracy was in. The one team the Notoriously Biased Adversarial League could not counter for the Lakers ended up playing them in the finals. Hard cheese.

Congratulations to the Celtics, but at least the Laker MVP proved his worth, winning it again in the finals.....what's that?  Oh....well....um......congratulations to Paul Pierce, then.

"Where is Kobe"?    8)

"Where is Kobe"?    8)

"Where is Kobe"?    8)
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 01:48:43 PM »
Congrats to our Laker fans.  You didn't win, but looking at how things have gone the past year, it must looked as a successful season.  I hope than in a couple of years when can start putting some pressure on you, the Spurs, and Utah.

Thanks, ziggy.  Hey, I don't think your Blazers will need a couple of years to put pressure on the Lakers.  You did pretty well this year and I expect next year you'll be in the thick of things.  Should make for some fun match ups next season  :)

« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 06:05:38 PM by msc »