Author Topic: Congratulations Celtics  (Read 3127 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Congratulations Celtics
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2008, 08:24:09 AM »
I'm kind of confused with the congratulations.  I was under the impression Boston needed 4 wins to clinch the NBA championship. 

Call me crazy, I'm not discounting LA.  Last I checked they're still the most potent offense in the Finals, and when their defense starts feeding from the offense, its usually lights out for whoever is playing them.  I didn't watch the entire 2nd half but from hearing what happened, it sounded like LA just gave the ball to Kobe the entire time and played not to lose instead of playing to win.  I don't think they make that mistake again.  I think Boston has to TAKE the 4th game and its not going to be easy. 

I'm also going to agree with Westkoast on fickleness/lack of insight of some of these national sportswriters.  Some guy was actually dense enough to write, "guess Kobe wants a refund on that Gasol trade, heh, heh".  Ummmm, NO!, I'll keep the guy that's integral to my championship level club, thank you very much.  Even Phil went a little overboard saying ". . .maybe this is why we got Gasol at a discount" and .."not being a tough enough Center".  I mean when you think Phil, you don't ever think classy, but still, even he can't believe that malarky. 

Skandery, you didn't even see the Celtics demolish the Lakers and then you discount the scenario, by saying the Lakers played stupidly by relying on Kobe and therefore, you have hope for the future of the series.

This is delusional thinking.  What happened is that the Celtics won by using their strengths: better defense and superior rebounding.  The assets I talked about when I projected the winner of the series.

On balance the Celtics will outscore any team in the league, because their defense is that much better, and there isn't a team out there that can stay with them without getting second shots.

Against the other teams in the league, LA might find a way to win, but against Boston, they don't have quite enough talent.  Boston is one of the few teams that has a player that can really bother Kobe on offense.  Name another team in the league that can contain Kobe like the Celtics have with Pierce.

Odom isn't a good enough role player and neither is Fisher or Radman, at least compared with their Boston counterparts.

LA went out to a big lead, but could not put Boston away,  and they could not stop them from coming back in the second half.  Bottom line, is they couldn't shoot well enough, only managing a 41.6 percentage.  They rebounded with the Celtics got to the foul line as often, and still couldn't win.  In other words, they took the game away from the Lakers and ripped their heart out.  They interviewed Phil after the end of the third when the Celtics came back to within 2.  Phil said they (meaning the Lakers) would be alright, but he was delusional as well.

The only way that LA can win is for the Lakers to get Kobe loose, and their other scorers aren't good enough to create openings for Kobe.  The Celtics don't have that problem since they have 3 great scorers and LA can't shut all three of them down.  In fact, they haven't stopped Garnett at all, and Ray Allen is having a great series since he knows no-one on the Lakers can stay with him.

You are right that the series isn't over, but it will take an injury, massive disinterest from the Celtics, or NBA interference to stretch this series past 5 games.  I am actually sympathetic to Laker fans since I didn't think the Celtics were really that much better and the outcome is somewhat surprising.  But the play has demonstrated that the Lakers collapse when they are placed under relentless pressure. This is likely because so few teams can put the Lakers in that situation, so they don't have experience handling the pressure.

If they could play the Celtics more during the season, they might have learned how to execute under those circumstances. Instead they collapsed themselves, and aren't feeling to good about their situation.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2008, 09:53:04 AM »
I disagree with Laker Fan and agree with Westkoast (twice in the same thread, what the heck? 8)).  I like Van Gundy and Mark Jackson.  I like them more than Albert and Collins, much more.  Van Gundy is actually one of the more intelligent commentators on the circuit, Jackson is mediocre at times but he slobbers on superstars too much for my liking.  There was one time when they were both absolutely DEAD wrong.  Boston v Detroit, P.J. Brown pushes Maxiell out of the air on a dunk attempt and Maxiell falls hard to the ground.  Ref calls 2 shot foul.  Mike Breen was surprised it wasn't a flagrant and Jackson/Van Gundy kept going on and on about playoff basketball and how P.J. had made a good, hard foul.  In fact they wouldn't let it go all game and Mike Breen (about as vanilla a persona as there is on television) starts to get really irritated as the replays show over and over that P.J. did not in fact make a play on the ball at all and instead pushed Maxiell under the armpit, out of the air, and right to the ground.  So there are definitely times when they go overboard and are wrong, but for the most part they do a good job.  Especially Jeff Van Gundy, I actually wonder how he manages to maintain that position.  He is at times so brutally honest about the inconsistency and failure of referees, I would think that league fines would prohibit him from having this career.     
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2008, 10:05:02 AM »
Skandery, you didn't even see the Celtics demolish the Lakers and then you discount the scenario, by saying the Lakers played stupidly by relying on Kobe and therefore, you have hope for the future of the series.

I saw the last 3 minutes of the 4th quarter.  I had shut the game off as the Lakers stretched the lead to over 20 points and I had friends over who wanted to put in a DVD.  I turned the game back on when Tim called and told me Boston was actually making a game of it.  I was in complete shock as the Lakers had outplayed Boston in EVERY SINGLE FACET OF THE GAME (including rebounding and defense) for the first 22 or so game minutes that I did see in the 1st half. 

Also my source for hearing that after gaining the huge lead at halftime, the Lakers gave the ball to Kobe to sort of coast through the victory in the 2nd half was this guy you might have heard of.  Kevin Garnett.  Now I'm not sure about this and PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he had a closer view of the game than you did.  Now in taking Kevin Garnett's word over yours, sorry Rick, I made the inference that the Lakers coasted through the second half, relied too much on Kobe, and played NOT to lose . . . and Boston made them pay for it.  I sincerely do not think the Lakers make that same mistake should Boston be stupid enough to spot them another 25 point lead. 

That is all.

P.S. Also, excuse me if I wait until a team reaches 4 wins before doling out any kind of congratulations, kudos, or I told-ya-so's.   
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2008, 11:13:00 AM »
Also my source for hearing that after gaining the huge lead at halftime, the Lakers gave the ball to Kobe to sort of coast through the victory in the 2nd half was this guy you might have heard of.  Kevin Garnett.  Now I'm not sure about this and PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he had a closer view of the game than you did.  Now in taking Kevin Garnett's word over yours, sorry Rick, I made the inference that the Lakers coasted through the second half, relied too much on Kobe, and played NOT to lose . . . and Boston made them pay for it.    
And you had a source better then even Kevin Garnett:
Reality
Why did the Lakers abandon team O with Kobes getting all kinds of assists albeit no points (yet a 20 pt lead) in favor of Kobeball on O in the late 3rd and 4th? 

Skandery
P.S. Also, excuse me if I wait until a team reaches 4 wins before doling out any kind of congratulations,
  Are you talking to me?  Excuse me if i want to congratulate the Celts on Gm 4. ;)
I think you're talking about the people who say the series is over.  It is.  But then we've seen stranger things happen in LakerLand.  So it isn't.

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2008, 04:05:39 PM »
Are you talking to me?

Many people of which you are amongst.   8)

The histrionics of Stephen A. Smith talking about the series being "OVA!!" made me gag this morning. 

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2008, 04:32:07 PM »
Q for non Lakers:
Did ref Tim Donaghy's latest info of rigged 2002 Lakers Kings playoff game help insure that the Celts 24 point comeback in 2008 Gm 4 could be completed?  No miracle corrupt calls for Kobe and company to ensure Bostons 2nd half comeback was stopped short?

Thank you Tim D.