Author Topic: wow  (Read 8286 times)

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: wow
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2008, 05:25:29 PM »
I do agree it gets brought up quite a bit, to the point where it has got annoying, but the media coverage now seems to be much more then it was in 92-93.  At least that is how I see it.  There are a lot more people covering the sports and things have got much more critical.  Jordan blows a million bucks betting on golf, it gets laughed off.  Charlies Barkley looses 400k and it's covered for an entire month.

That's not the best analogy. MJ got A LOT of coverage for his gambling "situation" back in those days. It was one of the favorite topics of the Jim Grays of the day, including Jim Gray. I know you were still in the womb back then, so I can't blame you for forgetting.

But I will agree with you, Kobe gets more negative feedback than just about any "best player in the league" I've ever heard of. From road crowds chanting "No Means No" to talking heads castigating him for supposed selfish play after a 30 point 8 assist game. Perhaps it's his great talent. Perhaps it's his confident smile. Perhaps it's his rapist wit. Even he of the calloused knees, the great Doug Collins can't overcome all of the negative play Kobe receives.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2008, 05:38:04 PM »
I do agree it gets brought up quite a bit, to the point where it has got annoying, but the media coverage now seems to be much more then it was in 92-93.  At least that is how I see it.  There are a lot more people covering the sports and things have got much more critical.  Jordan blows a million bucks betting on golf, it gets laughed off.  Charlies Barkley looses 400k and it's covered for an entire month.

That's not the best analogy. MJ got A LOT of coverage for his gambling "situation" back in those days. It was one of the favorite topics of the Jim Grays of the day, including Jim Gray. I know you were still in the womb back then, so I can't blame you for forgetting.

But I will agree with you, Kobe gets more negative feedback than just about any "best player in the league" I've ever heard of. From road crowds chanting "No Means No" to talking heads castigating him for supposed selfish play after a 30 point 8 assist game. Perhaps it's his great talent. Perhaps it's his confident smile. Perhaps it's his rapist wit. Even he of the calloused knees, the great Doug Collins can't overcome all of the negative play Kobe receives.

Ok maybe that wasn't the best analogy but it's in the ball park at least of what im trying to say...

MJs gambling got coverage no doubt (how else would I have brought it up obviously) but it wasn't nearly as negative or in every spot that reports news.  I always felt that there was this slant like it was laughed off and chalked up to 'Michael being such a fiery competitor!!! YEAH!'  yet if you look at Charles Barkley, who is known for being a fiery (but lazy) competitor, it's not slanted in that direction.  He is looked at along the lines of a drug addict/alcoholic who is wasting his life away in Las Vegas.    Even Dan Patrick, who is a friend of his, talked to him in an interview on the air as if he was smoking crack.   Charles Barkley is not hurting for 400k anymore then Michael Jordan was for a million.  Yet one needs an intervention.  The media really gravitates towards the negative stories no matter how small.  Maybe I am suffering from revisionist history but I don't remember it being quite the same.  However it is hard to get the true feel for the media then if I was only able to follow what was going on via head phones my mom put on her belly.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 05:40:22 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2008, 06:45:06 PM »
Media coverage is preordained. The talking heads have already decided what they discuss and how they will spin it.

The latest and best example of this was over the weekend <not the NBA playoff game> in the Belmont race for the Triple Crown attempted by Big Brown.

Nothing wrong with the attention pre-race to Big Brown - after all it was his race. But once it was clear he was out of it and Da' Tara would win, I waited and waited for the winner to appear on television with the glory and spectacle. And waited....and waited...while the "pundits" continued on and on about what happened to Big Brown instead. They never did say, after the initial announcement, who came in second and third. 
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2008, 07:13:26 PM »
Laker Dan -

First off: vitually = virtually; elses  = else's; inconsistant = inconsistent; and incompetences = incompetence's

First off I will give you the first 3, they have since been corrected. On the "iincompetences = incompetence's" one, I DID NOT write "incompetences", I wrote "incompetence" so blow that one right out your ear, that is if you can gt it past your hearing aid. Or do I have to start ignoring your attempts to be intellectual or correct my grammar like I do WOW's?
Dan

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2008, 07:14:50 PM »

Just a stupid thought on my part, Dan.

I must say I couldn't agree with you more, the most accurate point you've made in this thread so far.
Dan

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2008, 10:49:19 AM »
Laker Dan -

First off: vitually = virtually; elses  = else's; inconsistant = inconsistent; and incompetences = incompetence's

First off I will give you the first 3, they have since been corrected. On the "iincompetences = incompetence's" one, I DID NOT write "incompetences", I wrote "incompetence" so blow that one right out your ear, that is if you can gt it past your hearing aid. Or do I have to start ignoring your attempts to be intellectual or correct my grammar like I do WOW's?

If you are giving me three out of four, you are required to pay attention to my intellectual acumen. Read dabod's by-laws. If posters are half right in their posts, other posters must pay homage and since I am close to ninety percent right every time, I deserve accolades.

Since you seriously have no one else on this board who comes close to me in that regard (okay - Joe is acceptible) I suggest you rethink your lame attempt at redemption, since you ...um.... misspelled "incompetences" and left out any 'second off' reference after starting with a "first off".

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2008, 10:51:26 AM »

I must say I couldn't agree with you more, the most accurate point you've made in this thread so far.

Somebody slip a burrupurass pill in your Medamucil this morning, Dan?

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2008, 09:48:32 PM »
If you are giving me three out of four, you are required to pay attention to my intellectual acumen. Read dabod's by-laws. If posters are half right in their posts, other posters must pay homage and since I am close to ninety percent right every time, I deserve accolades.

Since you seriously have no one else on this board who comes close to me in that regard (okay - Joe is acceptible) I suggest you rethink your lame attempt at redemption, since you ...um.... misspelled "incompetences" and left out any 'second off' reference after starting with a "first off".

I DID NOT misspell "incompetence" as you claim, therefore your silly little claim here remains invalid, but you keep peppering away, shotguns do hit some targets, occasionally.

As far as your being right 90 percent of the time, if your math tells you 3 out of 4 equals 90 percent as opposed to the 75% I was taught that it equals, it is clear why you work for the government, no REAL company would have you.

My "first off" being followed by my second post delineating yet another error attributed to you clearly gives context to my greater point, I assume you were having a senior moment and thus missed the blatantly obvious.

Somebody slip a burrupurass pill in your Medamucil this morning, Dan?

It is spelled "Metamucil", not that you would remember that, seeing as at your advanced age you are into colostomy bags by now.
Dan

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2008, 09:49:55 PM »
The two oldest farts on this board are really going at it here. ::)
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2008, 11:12:52 AM »
I DID NOT misspell "incompetence" as you claim, therefore your silly little claim here remains invalid, but you keep peppering away, shotguns do hit some targets, occasionally.
"First off I will give you the first 3, they have since been corrected. On the "iincompetences = incompetence's" one, I DID NOT write "incompetences", I wrote "incompetence" so blow that one right out your ear, that is if you can gt it past your hearing aid. Or do I have to start ignoring your attempts to be intellectual or correct my grammar like I do WOW's?"

Liar, liar, pants on fire....

As far as your being right 90 percent of the time, if your math tells you 3 out of 4 equals 90 percent as opposed to the 75% I was taught that it equals, it is clear why you work for the government, no REAL company would have you.

That one error on my part is what MAKES me wrong on rare occasions. It had nothing to do with the math regarding your blatantly error-filled diatribe against all things decent and right (namely me).

My "first off" being followed by my second post delineating yet another error attributed to you clearly gives context to my greater point, I assume you were having a senior moment and thus missed the blatantly obvious.

That just makes no sense whatsoever. Please try again and next time include bullets and separations in your post to clearly state your meaning.

It is spelled "Metamucil", not that you would remember that, seeing as at your advanced age you are into colostomy bags by now.

OMG!!!

I planted that error in there just to see if you would correct it. So you DO worship at the Metamucil trough!!! Only a true user of the bugupurass juice would have bothered to see that.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2008, 11:14:37 AM »
The two oldest farts on this board are really going at it here. ::)

I have been told by people who should know that my farts are quite fresh.