Author Topic: wow  (Read 8291 times)

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: wow
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2008, 01:16:49 PM »
In all seriousness, while the officiating seemed to favor Boston on both ends of the court in the first half especially, the Lakers just didn't play well enough to win.  There were plenty of make up calls in the second half and the Lakers still couldn't capitalize.  Boston took it to the basket, the Lakers settled for jumpers, which led to the free throw disparity.  

The Lakers didn't deserve to win.  It's on the players to adjust to the refs and play through it.  I think the Lakers let it bother them, lost thier focus and it took them out of the game.  They lost last night and Thursday night to the better team, plain and simple.

Concise, truthful, objective, intelligent.  msc, are you sure this whole being a Laker fan thing is fulfilling you.  ;)

:D

I try, but it's not always easy as was the case last night.  I can understand 'koasts frustrations as I had them too.  At the end of the day it's on the players and I was frustrated with them more than anything.  A team has to learn to play through adversity (refs, tough road environment, etc) before they can make it to the championship level.  I'm not sure this team is there yet. 

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2008, 01:19:58 PM »
Agreed. In fact, I am making msc an honorary Kings fan for the off-season. He deserves to be recognized for his superior attitude.

Ew, I think I'd rather be an honorary Monarchs fan!    :P

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2008, 01:21:15 PM »

You know when you were off in New Oreleans laughing at the poor souls who reside there instead of the land of cattle and country music I was saying the same thing about your beloved Jazz.  I said the officiating at home was too far in favor of the home team.  You can use the search feature to find it if you like.

lol @ justice being served gimmie a break Jomal

Like I ever care what you think, lol!!

But the comment about being off in New Orleans laughing at the poor souls who reside there? That is just slimmy. I have no idea why you would put something like that in here, like it was supposed to affect me, instead of just showing what an idiot you continuously prove yourself to be, time and time again.

Why don't you use your search feature to find how often you come across like a moron, if you like.  

How is that slimmy?  You always talk about how great Sacramento is compared to everywhere else (Socal and Texas) why would N.O. be any different?  You've labeled Socal and Texas residents worse then 'poor souls' for living where we/they do.  I see no difference here.   If you are thinking im making a katrina reference I am not.  Maybe you shouldn't try so hard to put words into my mouth next time  ;)

But hay if you want to ONCE AGAIN ignore prevous debates/comments that applies to  this "debate", go ahead.  Wouldn't be the first time you've tried to steer conversations off path only to come back later on to accuse others of doing it. 

Skandery...i'd like to hear your take on how many times Pau Gasol recieved quite a bit of contact when making a move with no whistle (since that was the basis of *MY* thread).  Only for guys like Powe/Perkins/Pierce to recieve just as much contact and get and 1's.  Perfect example is when Pau shot with his left hand sometime in the 2nd and KG fouled him, no call.  Then the very next trip down Perkins shuffled his feet, knocked Pau out of the way, then went up for the shot for an and 1.

Hardly surprising you do not see how slimmy your inference was in that comment.  ::)

I would never dream of lumping residents of New Orleans in with those who suffer being in SoCal or Texas, so it was just you, making another of your inane suppostion.

And please tell me how..."You know when you were off in New Oreleans laughing at the poor souls who reside there instead of the land of cattle and country music..... as your lead in to your next "insight" was not YOUR way of trying to steer the conversation away from your own topic?
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2008, 02:12:33 PM »

You know when you were off in New Oreleans laughing at the poor souls who reside there instead of the land of cattle and country music I was saying the same thing about your beloved Jazz.  I said the officiating at home was too far in favor of the home team.  You can use the search feature to find it if you like.

lol @ justice being served gimmie a break Jomal

Like I ever care what you think, lol!!

But the comment about being off in New Orleans laughing at the poor souls who reside there? That is just slimmy. I have no idea why you would put something like that in here, like it was supposed to affect me, instead of just showing what an idiot you continuously prove yourself to be, time and time again.

Why don't you use your search feature to find how often you come across like a moron, if you like.  

How is that slimmy?  You always talk about how great Sacramento is compared to everywhere else (Socal and Texas) why would N.O. be any different?  You've labeled Socal and Texas residents worse then 'poor souls' for living where we/they do.  I see no difference here.   If you are thinking im making a katrina reference I am not.  Maybe you shouldn't try so hard to put words into my mouth next time  ;)

But hay if you want to ONCE AGAIN ignore prevous debates/comments that applies to  this "debate", go ahead.  Wouldn't be the first time you've tried to steer conversations off path only to come back later on to accuse others of doing it. 

Skandery...i'd like to hear your take on how many times Pau Gasol recieved quite a bit of contact when making a move with no whistle (since that was the basis of *MY* thread).  Only for guys like Powe/Perkins/Pierce to recieve just as much contact and get and 1's.  Perfect example is when Pau shot with his left hand sometime in the 2nd and KG fouled him, no call.  Then the very next trip down Perkins shuffled his feet, knocked Pau out of the way, then went up for the shot for an and 1.

Hardly surprising you do not see how slimmy your inference was in that comment.  ::)

I would never dream of lumping residents of New Orleans in with those who suffer being in SoCal or Texas, so it was just you, making another of your inane suppostion.

And please tell me how..."You know when you were off in New Oreleans laughing at the poor souls who reside there instead of the land of cattle and country music..... as your lead in to your next "insight" was not YOUR way of trying to steer the conversation away from your own topic?

Because right after my sarcastic remark it went right back to what was being talked about?   Dense like bay area fog are we today JoMal?

Nowhere in your response did it have anything remotely close to basketball.  Just you trying to paint me as slimmy and crossing your fingers that others will just agree with you trying to put words into my mouth.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2008, 02:22:09 PM »
My thoughts on the game are thus: there was no doubt some home-cookin' going on, IT HAPPENS, PLAY THROUGH IT!!!!! The Lakers DO NOT deserve to win when they allow Boston to turn them into a jump shooting team, when Boston is in the penalty midway through the third and LA DOESN'T FORCE THE ISSUE IN THE PAINT!! So, they weren't getting the calls when and IF they went inside, especially Gasol, they still need to establish a post game so their shooters CAN get the open looks, they weren't doing it and Boston made them pay.

I was as frustrated at the clear call disparity as I was at the Lakers totally going away from the post game, especially since, size difference notwithstanding, Perkins CANNOT guard Odom, and Garnett CANNOT leave Gasol to help, talk about not taking advantage of a mismatch, Odom is twice as fast as Perkins and he acts like he is scared to death to take the ball in there, same with Kobe, TAKE IT TO THE HOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As far as jOLDmal is concerned 'Koast, his blatant sarcastic baiting of you is becoming laughable in that I have never seen a fish swallow the bait so deep before, not even Randy reacts to our prime village idiot like you do to his unsubtle attempts to pull you into his trap and then consume you like spider does a fly.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 02:23:43 PM by Laker Fan »
Dan

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2008, 02:25:42 PM »
My thoughts on the game are thus: there was no doubt some home-cookin' going on, IT HAPPENS, PLAY THROUGH IT!!!!! The Lakers DO NOT deserve to win when they allow Boston to turn them into a jump shooting team, when Boston is in the penalty midway through the third and LA DOESN'T FORCE THE ISSUE IN THE PAINT!! So, they weren't getting the calls when and IF they went inside, especially Gasol, they still need to establish a post game so their shooters CAN get the open looks, they weren't doing it and Boston made them pay.

I was as frustrated at the clear call disparity as I was at the Lakers totally going away from the post game, especially since, size difference notwithstanding, Perkins CANNOT guard Odom, and Garnett CANNOT leave Gasol to help, talk about not taking advantage of a mismatch, Odom is twice as fast as Perkins and he acts like he is scared to death to take the ball in there, same with Kobe, TAKE IT TO THE HOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As far as jOLDmal is concerned 'Koast, his blatant sarcastic baiting of you is becoming laughable in that I have never seen a fish swallow the bait so deep before, not even Randy reacts to our prime village idiot like you do to his unsubtle attempts to pull you into his trap and then consume you like spider does a fly.

Too bad he wasn't baiting this time.  Though he will probably quote this and try to say he was.  He clearly wanted to paint me in a certain way here.  That wasn't bait.  That was him trying to, as the young kids say, "get at me"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2008, 02:36:16 PM »

Odom is not taking it to Perkins because that would affect Kobe taking it into the lane - and that would be against Bryant's high opinion that he alone should be given that lane and his teammates need to clear it for him, not the other way around.

When Kobe has tried, he is getting clobbered, as clearly is the intent of the Celtics and their game plan. While the refs are allowing the contact, Boston is getting to do what they want. See how that all changes in LA.

Too bad he wasn't baiting this time.  Though he will probably quote this and try to say he was.  He clearly wanted to paint me in a certain way here.  That wasn't bait.  That was him trying to, as the young kids say, "get at me"

You know when you were off in New Oreleans laughing at the poor souls who reside there instead of the land of cattle and country music.....

How am I doing, painting you in a certain way, here?
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2008, 02:51:24 PM »

No simpleton.

I expect teams to get the benefit of the doubt at home but for there to be such a huge difference on BOTH sides.  That's a problem.  Come game 3 you are going to see it be heavy heavy in the Lakers favor to "make up" for game 2.  You guys dont see a problem in that?

Of course, I see a problem with that.  My problem is the same one that Skander has been harping on for quite some time - that officiating - if not out-right corrupt - is so wildly inconsistent that it might has well be corrupt.  And that wild inconsistency happens from the league office on down.  And it happens at critical times so as to decide games, series, etc., and has been happening for a decade now. 

Why is this the first we're hearing of it from you?
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2008, 03:23:56 PM »

No simpleton.

I expect teams to get the benefit of the doubt at home but for there to be such a huge difference on BOTH sides.  That's a problem.  Come game 3 you are going to see it be heavy heavy in the Lakers favor to "make up" for game 2.  You guys dont see a problem in that?

Of course, I see a problem with that.  My problem is the same one that Skander has been harping on for quite some time - that officiating - if not out-right corrupt - is so wildly inconsistent that it might has well be corrupt.  And that wild inconsistency happens from the league office on down.  And it happens at critical times so as to decide games, series, etc., and has been happening for a decade now. 

Why is this the first we're hearing of it from you?

Um it's not.  I said the same things during the Jazz/Lakers series.  In fact I spoke specifically about Matt Harpring and Luke Walton saying that if I was Matt I'd be frustrated, ditto for Luke.  One minute rough play is not allowed the next it is.  That is why I told JoMal he could search for the comments if he likes.

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2008, 03:47:43 PM »
Odom is not taking it to Perkins because that would affect Kobe taking it into the lane - and that would be against Bryant's high opinion that he alone should be given that lane and his teammates need to clear it for him, not the other way around.

When Kobe has tried, he is getting clobbered, as clearly is the intent of the Celtics and their game plan. While the refs are allowing the contact, Boston is getting to do what they want. See how that all changes in LA.

That is disingenuous at best, blatant stupidity at worst. Seeing as I do not think you are stupid, (team loyalty choices aside) I will give you the benefit of the doubt. Kobe, despite your silly assertion here, has demonstrated virtually this whole season, and in particular since the Gasol trade, his unflinching faith in his teammates, and his willingness to dish the ball when he is already in the paint to his trailing man, be that Gasol OR Odom, and you know it as well as I do. In fact, his penchant for trying to get his teammates involved early has been remarkable, his seeming to go away from that in game 1 in fact was glaring, so spare me the selfish Kobe inference, it holds no water. in fact if anything it opens up the post even more when opposing teams are forced to choose either to man cover which is a mistake because Kobe has no equals in there or give help defense which gives Gasol or Odom room to operate, and Kobe has been very, VERY unselfish passing out of the double team in the post.

You are right, it will likely change in LA, but that only shoots holes in your (and everybody else's) idiotic conspiracy theories because if LA was predestined to rise to the top, NO CALL WOULD EVER GO AGAINST THEM, and certainly the refs wouldn't have swallowed their whistles while Boston pounded LA into the ground in the second half last night, especially since I counted at least 2 clear and 1 fouls that weren't called when Gasol took in and at least 2-3 between Kobe/Odom as well. That doesn't account for the 38-10 FT differential because clearly Boston was being aggressive in the paint, but when you look at the fact that LA scored 40 points in the paint against Boston's only scoring 34 and yet Boston took 38 shots from the stripe, clearly the refs were being HORRENDOUSLY inconsistent, which, along with Skander, is my biggest beef with the NBA, BE CONSISTENT!!!! LA went away from their post game, but they played it enough that there is no way on earth they only go to the stripe for 10 attempts, that is nonsense, and anyone who thinks otherwise is a moron.

Be that as it may, same thing applies here as applied in game 4 (I believe) in the WCF, LA didn't deserve to win because they played a horrible 3rd quarter and by the time they adjusted, it was too late, had they not deviated from what was working, this game could have gone to the wire and they could have won it. While the comeback from 24 down with 7 minutes to go was impressive, they never should have been in that hole to begin with, as it is they shot 49%, which should have been enough, but let's not kid ourselves into thinking the refs didn't call the game very badly, just like they will do when it gets back to LA, I HAAAAATE it but again, it just validates that despite your opinion, there is not a bias in favor of LA, but rather just plain old incompetence.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 07:05:07 PM by Laker Fan »
Dan

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2008, 04:26:00 PM »
Laker Dan -

First off: vitually = virtually; elses  = else's; inconsistant = inconsistent; and incompetences = incompetence's

Second, what Kobe has demonstrated prior to AND since the Gasol trade is a penchant for voicing his faith in his teammates whiling lapsing back at times into where he apparently loses said faith when things tighten up a bit.

Third, "... his seeming to go away from that in game 1 in fact was glaring...." seems juuust a bit like you are agreeing that Kobe can lose that focus on getting his teammates involved on occasion...or am I being stupid here?

"Unflinching" faith, when used in reference to his teammate's abilities historically has not been Kobe's strong suit. While admittedly Bryant puts that effort into his own game when the flow of the offense (and that certainly would mean the favoritism of the refs in calling a "good" game for the Lakers) is working and defenses, as expected, collapse on Kobe, allowing him the luxury of dishing or shooting, as the case may be.

But you must certainly see that not all of his teammates feel the love from him in games such as Game Two, until he apparently "BLEEPED" them into playing better. Such is Kobe's way of demonstrating that unflinching faith, I suppose. Until then, I stand by my earlier comments because, well, they certainly DO hold water.

Perhaps, I don't know, "Selfish" Kobe has not shown up since the Gasol trade up to now because he and his team have not had to play under such desperate circumstances as the first two games of this series have placed them.

Just a stupid thought on my part, Dan.   

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2008, 04:30:47 PM »
Laker Dan -

First off: vitually = virtually; elses  = else's; inconsistant = inconsistent; and incompetences = incompetence's

DUCK AND COVER PEOPLE! DUCK AND COVER!
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2008, 04:35:33 PM »
JoMal rather Kobe say "hay you guys do you think you could pretty pretty please with sugar on top play harder" LOL.  Once again, Michael Jordan does this "hes a leader and a fire competitor" when Kobe does it he gets the hate from the usual suspects.

Joe Vancil....

http://forums.phillyarena.net/index.php?topic=4514.15

My problem  is the fact that it is not consistent.  Are the refs going to let physical play slide or not?  Why is a foul in LA not the same as it is in Utah?  And vice versa?

The Luke Walton/Matt Harpring match up is one that clearly shows what is wrong.  One play Matt will be able to push Walton all the way off the block with no whistle.  3-4 plays later it's a foul.  I don't blame Matt for being like "WTF"  Luke Walton goes up for a rebound and a jazz player goes over his back, no call.  Two plays later Walton goes over the back of a Jazz player in the same way, foul.  I don't blame Luke for being like "WTF".  To me it seems like there is no rhyme or reason to when they blow whistles sometimes on both sides.  It really has screwed with the flow of the game IMO.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2008, 05:00:41 PM »
JoMal rather Kobe say "hay you guys do you think you could pretty pretty please with sugar on top play harder" LOL.  Once again, Michael Jordan does this "hes a leader and a fire competitor" when Kobe does it he gets the hate from the usual suspects.

That is not actually the point I would have focused on, since Jordan was notorious for using his unique way of communicating with teammates and Kobe doing something similar is more to be expected from someone in his position then his remaining quiet - I have no arguement about that at all, actually. The only reason I brought it up was that it was one time where his leadership was properly being used by him.

But somehow, at least on the court, Jordan did more to bring his teammates into the game without that added fanfare of telling everyone he was getting his teammates more involved. Kobe brought it up himself after the game - Jordon tended to talk around it more.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2008, 05:04:19 PM »

That is not actually the point I would have focused on, since Jordan was notorious for using his unique way of communicating with teammates and Kobe doing something similar is more to be expected from someone in his position then his remaining quiet - I have no arguement about that at all, actually. The only reason I brought it up was that it was one time where his leadership was properly being used by him.

But somehow, at least on the court, Jordan did more to bring his teammates into the game without that added fanfare of telling everyone he was getting his teammates more involved. Kobe brought it up himself after the game - Jordon tended to talk around it more.

And do you believe that has nothing to do with the fact that the media, fans, and non-fans have not stopped bringing it up themselves for the last handful of seasons?  I think we all kind of beat it to a pulp long before Kobe started to bring it up during the second half of this year.

I do agree it gets brought up quite a bit, to the point where it has got annoying, but the media coverage now seems to be much more then it was in 92-93.  At least that is how I see it.  There are a lot more people covering the sports and things have got much more critical.  Jordan blows a million bucks betting on golf, it gets laughed off.  Charles Barkley looses 400k and it's covered for an entire month by all the news outlets, not just espn/si.  You have CNN, MSNBC, and non-sports talk radio shows jumping into the mix.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 05:11:45 PM by westkoast »