Author Topic: Kevin Johnson now wants to run point as Sacramento Mayor  (Read 4445 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Kevin Johnson now wants to run point as Sacramento Mayor
« on: June 06, 2008, 10:23:34 AM »
Little Kevin Johnson, former NBA point guard for the Phoenix Suns, will be in a mayorial runoff in November for the position as Sacramento's next mayor. His main competition is the incumbant, Heather Fargo, who has had two terms as mayor - all during the new basketball arena era fiasco and downtown (non)-redevelopment period. Only absentee vote counts can nudge either candidate over the needed 50 percent total so a November run off would be unnecessary, and those counts won't be available for several weeks.. But a somewhat confident Johnson is already acting as if he has won.

http://www.sacbee.com/111/story/990309.html

A confident Kevin Johnson said Wednesday he's getting ready to take over as Sacramento's mayor, even though he likely faces a November runoff against Mayor Heather Fargo.

"We need to start preparing to take the reins of Sacramento," Johnson told media and supporters assembled for a news conference at his midtown campaign headquarters.

He said he would start meeting with city department heads to gather information, and would travel to cities around the country to get ideas on increasing economic development and reducing crime.

"For us going forward, it's about making history now," declared Johnson, who would be the first African American elected to the city's top office.

Mayor Heather Fargo called her challenger's plans premature. "It's presumptuous for him to think of being the next mayor; we're a long way away from that," she said.

While Johnson led Fargo 47 percent to 40 percent when Tuesday's votes had been counted, at least 15,000 vote-by-mail ballots turned in during the last days of the race remain uncounted. The total could be thousands more, said county elections spokesman Brad Buyse.

The uncounted absentees could easily equal a third of the 46,224 votes counted for the seven mayoral candidates so far.

Even with the large number of uncounted votes, elections experts said it would be mathematically difficult for Johnson to gain enough votes to top 50 percent, which he would have to do to avoid a runoff. To get a majority of votes, Johnson's margin of victory among the uncounted ballots would have to be about 64 percent.

"It's a runoff," said Contra Costa Clerk-Recorder Stephen Weir, president of the California Association of Clerks and Election Officials.

Johnson does, however, have history on his side when he predicts he'll prevail on Nov. 4. It has been a quarter-century since a mayoral candidate in Sacramento who came in second in the primary went on to win in the fall. That was 1983, when Anne Rudin beat Ross Relles, said City Clerk Shirley Concolino.

Of course, November's general election is likely to be much different from Tuesday's vote, when turnout was low, and many people put off their decision until the last minute.

The November ballot will be packed with high-interest items, such as the presidential contest between presumptive nominees Democrat Barack Obama and Republican John McCain, and a statewide proposition that would ban gay marriage after the state Supreme Court just declared it legal.

"We anticipate that in the November election we're going to see a huge increase in our voter registration rolls and a huge increase in turnout," Buyse said.

Both Johnson and Fargo claimed the higher turnout in November would give them an advantage.

Johnson, an early supporter of Obama, said the two campaigns plan joint events. He said the election will likely draw more African American voters, Latino voters and young voters ? all groups that he said would favor him.

"Everyone felt that a low turnout was the best chance for (Fargo) to win," he said.

But Fargo said Democrats would come out in droves, and as she was the candidate endorsed by the local Democratic Party, their presence would favor her.

"There are going to be a lot more people voting, and it's going to be a lot more partisan in nature. Given that I'm the choice for the Democratic Party in the county, and he's got so much Republican support, that will play into it."

Tuesday's voting featured thousands of people who dropped off their vote-by-mail ballots at polling places, or put them in the mail just in time to beat the deadline, Buyse said. The last-minute barrage of vote-by-mail ballots has left the county elections office scrambling to get them counted.

Absentee voting has been on the rise for years, and state law now allows people to be designated as permanent absentees. But changes adopted for the convenience of voters have created a situation where the exact outcome of close races is often not known the morning after.

"It's a very long, methodical process to get vote-by-mails into the count," Weir said. "They come in folded. Sometimes they've got coffee on them. Sometimes, they've gotten wet or torn."

Fargo expressed frustration at the possibility of having to wait nearly a month for final totals.

"I don't understand why there would be this many uncounted at this point," she said. "Is this all the new technology that was supposed to be so great? I think somebody needs to explain it, because if this is a preview of what's gong to happen in November when we've got a really big turnout, they've got some planning to do."

Buyse said the Sacramento County elections staff began counting the remaining absentee ballots Wednesday, and would have an update Friday. Within seven to 10 days, Buyse said, he hopes to know whether there will be a mayoral runoff.

He said staff members will work eight hours a day on the count, but won't be rushed. They have to check each voter signature against the signature on file. The ballots are then run through a machine.

"Every county has 28 days to complete their canvass," Buyse said.

Buyse said 66,000 ballots countywide had not been counted as of Wednesday. These included ballots received by the elections office after Saturday afternoon, those dropped off on election day, and provisional ballots

As Sacramento steps into plans for its future development, I can't help but look back fondly on the last twenty-five years of the city's construction activity and arena issues - except there really AREN'T any fond memories. In the late 80's, the Southern Pacific railyards that borders both rivers in Sacramento was ceded to the city (270 acres worth), essentially doubling the downtown area, and in the most prime location you can imagine. Today, that marvelous gift sits out there, in view of my office window, literally gathering dust in the prairie. Seems that no one in the power game working in city hall can make a decision on what to do with it. Same with the arena. So far, we have had to rely on outside people (former Calif governor Pete Wilson and our NBA commish, David Stern) to actually negotiate an arena deal because every time someone from the city tries to move on the idea, it is like someone threw a bag on marbles on the floor of city hall. 

Johnson, on the other hand, potentially comes into the Sacramento political scene with accusations of "dating" underage girls and misuse of funds in his own organization that works in the development of the Sacramento innercity neighborhoods his organization has been intrusted to do. 

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kevin Johnson now wants to run point as Sacramento Mayor
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 10:43:18 AM »
 ???

I didn't know he even lived in the area let alone had the want to get into politics.

http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 10:46:13 AM »
Kevin went to Sacramento High School.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 01:27:34 PM »

Oh, guess you learn something new everyday.  For some reason I figured him to still live in AZ.

Though I do have to ask how many more 'celebrities' do you need in politicla positions up there?

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 01:26:52 PM »

And don't forget he went to Cal.  Not that it's in Sacramento, but NorCal nonetheless.  You know what I mean. 

I always respected KJ as a great player and he always struck me as a bright guy.  I know nothing of his politics, but this doesn't surprise me for some reason. 

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 03:01:42 PM »

And don't forget he went to Cal.  Not that it's in Sacramento, but NorCal nonetheless.  You know what I mean. 

I always respected KJ as a great player and he always struck me as a bright guy.  I know nothing of his politics, but this doesn't surprise me for some reason. 

I guess we are going to find out about his politics soon enough.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 11:26:25 AM »
Johnson won the election by 15 percentage points.

I voted for him.

Not sure if he can usher in the type of changes he has promised and this city needs, but at least a different person will now be telling us why we can't build on those 240 empty acres in downtown Sacramento. Or build another bridge across the Sacramento River to connect with West Sacramento and their more impressive river front. Or redevelop the K Street Mall so bums do not outnumber the other pedestrians. 

FYI, the issue regarding the security guard happened last week, when the guy, obviously in awe of Johnson, gave him an unauthorized tour of City Hall and the city council chambers after hours, when a non-city employee, which Johnson at the time certainly was, should not have been allowed in the building. Another city council member happened to be there and saw him, then ratted him out.

Mayor-elect Johnson eager to tackle city issues
By Ryan Lillis and Tony Bizjak
rlillis@sacbee.com

Published: Wednesday, Nov. 05, 2008
The opening tipoff of the Kevin Johnson era is barely in the books, but the mayor-elect is off and running today, making the rounds of media events and promising to stop the financial bleeding at City Hall.

"I feel a sense of urgency," he told The Bee today. "We have some big challenges ahead in Sacramento to move the city forward.

"Two things immediately: We need a short-term and long-term game plan for the budget, and I really want to try to bring unity with the council members. We are all going to have to come together to get through these tough days ahead."

Johnson said he has assembled a 50-person transition team and will meet with City Manager Ray Kerridge and members of the City Council "right away" to discuss how to guide a city that faces likely imminent financial cutbacks and budget gaps projected to total $140 million over the next four years.

Speaking at the trendy Zocalo restaurant in midtown just moments after he had declared victory in his battle with two-term Mayor Heather Fargo, Johnson said late Tuesday his transition team had been meeting for the past week.

"We all have a goal to move this city forward," Johnson said. "I'm looking forward to sitting down with each and every council member and talk about how we can collectively make this a great city."

Johnson said he was confident he could deliver on the promises he made during his eight-month campaign.

"I don't have every answer," he said. "But I do believe I can sit down, build coalitions and move this city forward."

With all 391 precincts reporting, Johnson topped Fargo by 15 percentage points -- wider than recent polls had indicated. But Johnson said he predicted to his campaign staff that he would win by "double digits" and that the result came as no surprise.

"Heather Fargo has done a great job, but I think this city is embracing different leadership with new ideas and new vision," he said.

Johnson's first day as mayor-elect began before 6 a.m. with a round of television interviews. After another interview, he and several of his supporters were scheduled to stand near the Interstate 5 exit at Third and J streets in downtown Sacramento, waving signs of gratitude.

After a series of meetings with city staff, Johnson was scheduled to go back to Third and J at 4 p.m. to again thank his supporters.

One supporter he went out of his way to thank Tuesday was Luis Joya, the security guard who ushered Johnson on an after-hours tour of City Hall on Oct. 25. Joya has been fired from the private security firm that contracts guards to the city, but Johnson said he would be rewarded.

"I've told Luis, he doesn't have to worry by any means, he'll be taken care of," Johnson said. "With all these people that raised me so much money, we'll make sure he gets a high-quality, high-paying job. All he was trying to do was help his city."

Johnson said he ran past City Hall on Tuesday morning -- he runs most mornings -- but joked he hoped "nobody was looking." Johnson said when he saw a security guard inside, he turned and jogged away.

Now, as mayor, Johnson won't need permission to enter City Hall after hours. He said his election was "by far my greatest accomplishment, because this is about serving the community I'm from."

"A little knucklehead kid, a poor kid from Oak Park going away and coming back and being the mayor of the city he grew up in -- that's the American dream," he said. "I hope it's a great example for every young person in our community that if you work hard, you get a great education and have good character, anything is possible."

jemagee

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 11:28:41 AM »
What's he going to do about the humidity?

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 11:46:14 AM »
What's he going to do about the humidity?

What humidity? This is a dry heat climate.

jemagee

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 11:46:47 AM »
I spent one weekend in sacramento and I thought i was going to melt - labor day - it was obnoxious and stifling like 95 and humid - was godawful - but mostly meant as a joke regarding the humidity

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 11:48:50 AM »
...obnoxious and stifling...

Yes you are but I'd still have a beer with you.

JoldMal,

I might be up in your area towards the end of the month, I'll be looking for a free beer.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 11:58:08 AM »

JoldMal,

I might be up in your area towards the end of the month, I'll be looking for a free beer.

So would I, you beaner. What week?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 12:00:36 PM »

JoldMal,

Not sure yet, going to Philly next week so I'll have a better idea about my schedule after that trip.

EDIT:  Week of Dec 1st.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 12:02:30 PM by WayOutWest »
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 12:17:14 PM »

JoldMal,

Not sure yet, going to Philly next week so I'll have a better idea about my schedule after that trip.

I will be in New Orleans on the 4th and 5th of December, but December 1-3 look okay.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 12:22:07 PM »

JoldMal,

I will be in New Orleans on the 4th and 5th of December, but December 1-3 look okay.

Speaking of New Orleans, thats where I am at right now.  Any recomendations on places to eat?