Author Topic: Anybody think Game 1 will determine the Lakers/Celtics series?  (Read 1470 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
IMO this is the biggest game 1 ever for the Lakers.  In the past the Lakers were good enough to withstand a game 1 loss, heck vs the Spurs the Lakers spotted them 2 games and still owned them, but this Lakers squad is very young and they have yet to play from behing in a series.  The Lakers must get a split, so I don't think game 1 is the end all but they MUST get a split.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Anybody think Game 1 will determine the Lakers/Celtics series?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 05:26:08 PM »
I don't think it will.  While the Lakers need to split I don't think winning this first game is going to make or break the series for either squad.  This game is going to be a feeling out game.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 05:30:34 PM »
I actually think this is a must win for the Celtics more so than the Lakers.  

1.  Celts are at home where they've played significantly better all playoffs.  
2.  Celts are fresh after 5 days rest and this will be the most rested they will be all series.  The Big 3 have played a lot of minutes all season and in to the playoffs and PJ and Casell are ancient.  
3.  A loss at home in Game 1 would put a TON of pressure on Boston and no one on their team sans Posey has ever been in Finals type pressure.  It would be devastating to their psyche, IMO.

I do agree a split would be ideal, but I'm not ready to call it a necessity ... yet  :)  Mainly it's ideal because while it's great to have 3 home games in a row, it's also very tough to win 3 games in a row in the playoffs regardless of venue.  That's why it would be nice to steal one of the first two, then you can lose one at home without too much worry.  

My pick would be the Lakers lose tonight but win game 2, which would be fine with me  ;)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 05:40:56 PM »
What? You worried that famed 'come from behind' Kobe may lose his bonerfides in a close game? 'Course, him cumming from behind's what got him in trouble in his rocky mounting high days, ain't it?
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 06:01:46 PM »
What? You worried that famed 'come from behind' Kobe may lose his bonerfides in a close game? 'Course, him cumming from behind's what got him in trouble in his rocky mounting high days, ain't it?

Hey oh!   :D

About the last thing I'm worried about is Kobe's ability to come from behind.  If it's a close game with time running out, there's no doubt he will penetrate back door and take it strong to the rack for the victory. 

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 06:19:15 PM »
That's worth a toke off his joint. But Beantown is famous for making it look sleazy.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 06:41:42 PM »
Maybe someone will find the script for this series lying around in some hotel room?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 07:18:09 PM »
That's worth a toke off his joint. But Beantown is famous for making it look sleazy.

I remember when Chick Hearn got old...he would forget which players he was talking about.  JoMal, we were talking about Kobe not Josh Howard.

Josh Howard hits the joints where ever hes staying at for fun.  Kobe hits the front desk of whatever hotel he's staying at for fun.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com