Author Topic: Laker/Spaniard Renaissance  (Read 5085 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Laker/Spaniard Renaissance
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 09:12:57 AM »
Right.  And it also spun it as if those 10 teams failed to act on offering the Grizzleys a better deal.
Stop acting like the Grizz owner did not know what he was doing.  Start being clueful.

Here is part of the article, the rest of the article is about the details of the other teams offers:

Ten teams that had the goods to get Gasol
By Chad Ford
ESPN.com
Updated: February 5, 2008

"Merry Christmas, L.A."

That sentiment, voiced by Dallas Mavericks coach Avery Johnson upon hearing about the Pau Gasol trade, has been resonating around the NBA.

While just about everyone expected the Memphis Grizzlies to trade Gasol before the Feb. 21 trade deadline, no one predicted it would be this soon or for so little in return. Instead of established players, the Los Angeles Lakers gave the Grizzlies only a package of expiring contracts, draft picks and marginal prospects for Gasol.

While most GMs weren't publicly venting their frustration on having missed out on Gasol, plenty were willing to do so privately.

The excuses ranged from blaming Grizzlies GM Chris Wallace to blaming their owners to ? well ? pointing the finger in just about every direction but their own.

One GM I spoke to asserted he had a better deal to offer, claiming that Wallace didn't return his calls.

Another said that just two weeks ago, Wallace was asking for twice as much in return. If this GM had known the Grizzlies were lowering the asking price on Gasol, he would've made another offer, he said.

A Western Conference GM said the Grizzlies' timing threw him off: "Big trades like this normally don't happen until after the All-Star break. Who would've guessed that the Grizzlies would've jumped the gun and taken such a lopsided deal three weeks before the trade deadline?"

Another prominent GM said his owner vetoed any trade that would've pushed his team into luxury-tax territory.

Sour grapes, anyone?

From the sob stories, two themes emerged:

One, a lot of GMs are more than a little jealous that the Lakers, of all teams, landed Gasol -- especially given the price tag.

Second, it sounds like the Grizzlies didn't walk away with the best deal available.

Given that, we have to ask: Which other teams could have landed Gasol, and what could they have offered?

He actually wrote the stuff YOU parroted, real suger coated biased writting.

OWNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 09:20:27 AM »
Right.  And it also spun it as if those 10 teams failed to act on offering the Grizzleys a better deal.
Stop acting like the Grizz owner did not know what he was doing.  Start being clueful.

Here is part of the article, the rest of the article is about the details of the other teams offers:

Ten teams that had the goods to get Gasol
By Chad Ford
ESPN.com
Updated: February 5, 2008

"Merry Christmas, L.A."

That sentiment, voiced by Dallas Mavericks coach Avery Johnson upon hearing about the Pau Gasol trade, has been resonating around the NBA.

While just about everyone expected the Memphis Grizzlies to trade Gasol before the Feb. 21 trade deadline, no one predicted it would be this soon or for so little in return. Instead of established players, the Los Angeles Lakers gave the Grizzlies only a package of expiring contracts, draft picks and marginal prospects for Gasol.

While most GMs weren't publicly venting their frustration on having missed out on Gasol, plenty were willing to do so privately.

The excuses ranged from blaming Grizzlies GM Chris Wallace to blaming their owners to ? well ? pointing the finger in just about every direction but their own.

One GM I spoke to asserted he had a better deal to offer, claiming that Wallace didn't return his calls. 

Another said that just two weeks ago, Wallace was asking for twice as much in return. If this GM had known the Grizzlies were lowering the asking price on Gasol, he would've made another offer, he said.

A Western Conference GM said the Grizzlies' timing threw him off: "Big trades like this normally don't happen until after the All-Star break. Who would've guessed that the Grizzlies would've jumped the gun and taken such a lopsided deal three weeks before the trade deadline?"

Another prominent GM said his owner vetoed any trade that would've pushed his team into luxury-tax territory.

Sour grapes, anyone?

From the sob stories, two themes emerged:

One, a lot of GMs are more than a little jealous that the Lakers, of all teams, landed Gasol -- especially given the price tag.

Second, it sounds like the Grizzlies didn't walk away with the best deal available. 

Given that, we have to ask: Which other teams could have landed Gasol, and what could they have offered?

He actually wrote the stuff YOU parroted, real suger coated biased writting.

OWNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The whole spin of this article of Laker Chads is to try and make all other GMs look like doldrums and make Jerry West and Kupkake of the Lakers look like rrrrrraaaaaaaagh they were the only team to offer the Griz anything.  Enjoy your collusion.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2008, 09:25:38 AM »

"Merry Christmas, L.A."

The whole spin of this article of Laker Chads is to try and make all other GMs look like doldrums and make Jerry West and Kupkake of the Lakers look like rrrrrraaaaaaaagh they were the only team to offer the Griz anything.  Enjoy your collusion.

I'm done with you!  OWNED!

MARCO!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 09:31:01 AM »
"Pipeline, and just keep the spicket open".

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2008, 10:05:15 AM »
"Pipeline, and just keep the spicket open".

Marco!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2008, 10:06:39 AM »

Wow, what a bunch of rehashed garbage.  What makes this article any more un-polite than the dozens of articles writing the week after the trade, heck articles written hours after the trade were harsher and 10X more interesting and insightful.  Who the hell doesn't know that the OWNER has the final say in everything and anything involving his team? 

I thought something interesting was going to be revealed, like some strong arming from Jerry West or something sinister like that.  What a waste, Skandery owes me about 2 and a half minutes of time I wasted reading this retread turd of an article.

The one big difference is the acknowledgment from the Memphis owner that, contrary to the view of some here, he didn't actually go out and get the best offer he could.  So the conventional wisdom in So Cal that this was the best offer, given Memphis' circumstances, is now proven to be the farce that it is. The owner of Memphis has acknowledged that they could have and should have got much more.

Randy doesn't live in So Cal Ziggy.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2008, 10:47:01 AM »

Wow, what a bunch of rehashed garbage.  What makes this article any more un-polite than the dozens of articles writing the week after the trade, heck articles written hours after the trade were harsher and 10X more interesting and insightful.  Who the hell doesn't know that the OWNER has the final say in everything and anything involving his team? 

I thought something interesting was going to be revealed, like some strong arming from Jerry West or something sinister like that.  What a waste, Skandery owes me about 2 and a half minutes of time I wasted reading this retread turd of an article.

The one big difference is the acknowledgment from the Memphis owner that, contrary to the view of some here, he didn't actually go out and get the best offer he could.  So the conventional wisdom in So Cal that this was the best offer, given Memphis' circumstances, is now proven to be the farce that it is. The owner of Memphis has acknowledged that they could have and should have got much more.

I don't think I ever stated it was the best offer, I merely stated some of the rational behind the trade.  The GM stated the main reason was the Lakers had the biggest expiring contract on the market.  Obviously you could put together a few contracts that would equal or exceed Kwame's.  I think the sour grapes is starting to spread seeing as how successful the Lakers have become.  Right off the bat all the Laker fans on this board were thanking their lucky stars for the trade, from day one it was very one-sided in terms of talent.  If Buss is willing to pay the high price on Gasol's contract then the Lakers really didn't give up ANYTHING, which is what everyone on here was saying.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2008, 02:15:15 PM »

I don't think I ever stated it was the best offer, I merely stated some of the rational behind the trade.  The GM stated the main reason was the Lakers had the biggest expiring contract on the market.  Obviously you could put together a few contracts that would equal or exceed Kwame's.  I think the sour grapes is starting to spread seeing as how successful the Lakers have become.  Right off the bat all the Laker fans on this board were thanking their lucky stars for the trade, from day one it was very one-sided in terms of talent.  If Buss is willing to pay the high price on Gasol's contract then the Lakers really didn't give up ANYTHING, which is what everyone on here was saying.

And I think Laker fans are over defensive which means that everyone else is probably right...including Reality.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2008, 02:51:18 PM »
And I think Laker fans are over defensive which means that everyone else is probably right...including Reality.

Uhmmmm......mmmmkay.....  Just don't like being lumped in with all Lakers fans.  I am THE Lakers fan, the rest are there just for the free parade.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2008, 03:05:42 PM »

Uhmmmm......mmmmkay.....  Just don't like being lumped in with all Lakers fans.  I am THE Lakers fan, the rest are there just for the free parade.

Banda de vagones, amigo.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2008, 03:06:38 PM »

which means that everyone else is probably right...including Reality.

:o

Say it ain't so, Lurker. 

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2008, 03:27:12 PM »

Say it ain't so, Lurker. 

Lurker has begun "juicing" like Reality.  He must be getting his wheat grass from beneath that dirty river walk pond scum.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2008, 04:13:18 PM »

Say it ain't so, Lurker. 

Lurker has begun "juicing" like Reality.  He must be getting his wheat grass from beneath that dirty river walk pond scum.

Gasol = WOW's raw nerve.

This summer is going to be so much fun.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2008, 04:13:53 PM »

which means that everyone else is probably right...including Reality.

Say it ain't so, Lurker. 

Just trying to cut the "family" ties.    ;)
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2008, 04:14:06 PM »

Say it ain't so, Lurker. 

Gasol = WOW's raw nerve.

This summer is going to be so much fun.
:D :D ;)
nice one Lurker.   Polo ;D