Author Topic: Lakers @ Celtics, wadda ya think?  (Read 2266 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Lakers @ Celtics, wadda ya think?
« on: June 03, 2008, 11:15:52 AM »
This is such a tough series to guage.  As much as the Lakers were tested and forged in the WC by teams like the Jazz and Spurs, IMO the Celtics are just as tough by playing the Pistons.

IMO the Celtics have the advantage because of home court.  The Lakers bench does not play well on the road.  The Celtics front line is better than the Lakers and the Lakers backcourt is better than the Celtics.  Talent wise it's almost a wash so it's going to come down to the bench and coaching.  The Lakers clearly have the advantage in coaching but the benchs could go either way.  IMO the Lakers bench is better but they are young and very inexperienced.  The Lakers seem to start every game in 1st gear and then take it up as the game and series goes on.  The Lakers need to start the games in 4th or 5th gear and then punch it into 6th in crunch time.  The problem is playoff games are all crunch time and the Lakers just don't bring it.

This years playoffs reminds me of the Shaq/Kobe era in that back then the Lakers played against the premier PF's in the league and then had a much lesser PF to face in the finals.  This year the Lakers faced some of the premier PG's in the league and now get face a much lesser PG.  Other than the SF the Lakers have a decent matchup at positions of strength for the Celtics.  Gasol vs KG and Odom vs Pierce is not a huge advantage for the Celtics.  Shifting them over to their natural positions of Gasol vs Perkins and Odom vs KG and RadMan vs Pierce is still not a huge Celtics advantage.  Fisher should do an adequet job dealing with Rondo and they Lakers could follow suit and use Rondo's man for help defense.  I think the Lakers will take the series unless the regular season Celtics show up.

IMO it is critical for the Lakers to get a split, at a minimum, in the first two games at Boston.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Lakers @ Celtics, wadda ya think?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 11:46:00 AM »
Not only is the series tough to call.  Game 1 is going to be very hard to call.  Both teams have been sitting for a long time.  That first game is going to be pretty important for the Lakers if they can steal home court advantage back and for Boston if they want to put the Lakers in a situation they have yet to be in, in the playoffs (down 0-1 or 0-2 heading home).  I can only imagine how rusty both teams must be right now. 

IMO the Lakers are favored because they have done better in the playoffs, have the best player in the league,  have a coaching staff that is superior to Doc Rivers' crew, and the major advantage I see them having is they are not just a jump shooting team.  At least when they move ball well and get out quick on turnovers.    Homecourt is important but I think that PJ is going to give Doc Rivers fits with his adjusments and plans of attack to where home court could slip away very easily.  Seriously Mike Brown was giving Doc Rivers nightmares in the second round.  Not exactly someone I would call one of the great coaches in the league.

Gasol is going to be a big time key in this series.  He really needs to up his offensive production because keeping KG from being that help defender in the paint will really weaken the Celtics defense. 
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 12:32:19 PM »
I think Lakers win in 5...steal one in Boston and win all 3 in LA.  The 2-3-2 format is to the Lakers advantage.

Starting 5 are close but I give the edge to the Lakers.  Ray Allen has been mostly missing and if harassed like Iverson and Manu then will stay MIA.  I think Perkins will guard Gasol leaving KG to roam but against the triangle and the Lakers passing it won't work.  Also it lets Odom hit the offensive boards hard (if PJ can motivate him to).  Fisher and Farmar should pressure Rondo constantly in bringing the ball up court. Kobe brings the ball up a lot for the Lakers and the Celtics will try to use PP on him...which will tire Pierce out.  That means Ray has to guard Radman/Walton - simply a joke.  And if the game is close would you rather be on the team with Kobe or Pierce as your clutch player?

Bench is IMO also to the Lakers advantage.  Posey, Cassell & PJ Brown are the top bench players minute wise for the Celtics in the playoffs.  If you thought the Spurs were old & slow watch these guys.  IMO no comparison to the Lakers top 3 of Vujacic, Walton and Farmar.

Coaching/staff is the biggest advantage of the Lakers.  There was an interview with Odom during game 5 with the Spurs where he said that the whole Laker staff right down to the trainers have several rings apiece.  They have been there, done that and don't get excited or over react.  On the otehr hand IMO Doc is one of the most overrated coaches in the league.  Which is why the Celtics have struggled in the playoffs.  Woodson outcoached him.  Mike Brown outcoached him.  And if not for injuries I think Saunders (who is not a good playoff coach) outcoached him.  I think Reality could outcoach Doc.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 12:42:05 PM »
....I think that PJ is going to give Doc Rivers fits with his adjusments and plans of attack...

I have heard several sports "analysts" state that the Lakers need to make a lineup change because RadMan cannot go up against Paul Pierce.  IMO that would be a mistake, that is the equivalent of flintching in a game of chicken.  On the other hand you want the other team to have to adjust to your own game plan.  There is nothing RadMan can do to affect the Celtics putting Pierce on him.  The other thing I was thinking about is wether or not Top 10 defender Pierce will be guarding Kobe at any time during the season.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 01:21:44 PM »
....I think that PJ is going to give Doc Rivers fits with his adjusments and plans of attack...

I have heard several sports "analysts" state that the Lakers need to make a lineup change because RadMan cannot go up against Paul Pierce.  IMO that would be a mistake, that is the equivalent of flintching in a game of chicken.  On the other hand you want the other team to have to adjust to your own game plan.  There is nothing RadMan can do to affect the Celtics putting Pierce on him.  The other thing I was thinking about is wether or not Top 10 defender Pierce will be guarding Kobe at any time during the season.

RadMan has been playing decent defense and I think you use him, along with Sasha/Kobe/Ariza, to give him a bunch of different looks.  I agree with you 100% adjusting what has been working with out seeing if it will also work against the Celtics is flinching in chicken.  No one on the Lakers can stop Pierce when he gets in a zone anyways so I think its smart to start a bigger player on him, then put a pesky player on him (Sasha) or a very athletic player (Ariza).

I think they would put Pierce on Walton/Radman and let Ray Allen chase Kobe around.  You are seriously asking for it in the post if you put Ray Allen on Luke Walton.

Lurker good analysis and I pretty much agree with you on every point.  Doc Rivers is Mike D'Antoni East, just like Skander said he would be.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 01:26:44 PM »
I think they would put Pierce on Walton/Radman and let Ray Allen chase Kobe around. 

I think that would be in the Lakers best interest.  Ray Allen trying to stop Kobe after he ramped up his game for Bowen would be absurd.  Reality will have a field day with the FT parade that Kobe will get.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 01:36:22 PM »
6 games or 7 games?

This series will smash all previous revenue producing records irregardless.

Kobe has already shot 24 FTs in one playoff game this year.  Can we get a 30?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 01:39:47 PM »
I think they would put Pierce on Walton/Radman and let Ray Allen chase Kobe around. 

I think that would be in the Lakers best interest.  Ray Allen trying to stop Kobe after he ramped up his game for Bowen would be absurd.  Reality will have a field day with the FT parade that Kobe will get.

Very true.  What else would you do though?  Ray Allen will disapear if he gets beat up and if they put him on Walton that's exactly what will happen. 

The other thing I see people talk about a lot is the Celtics defense.  I don't think their defense is as great as it has been hyped up to be.  KG is a beast but if you pull him away from the rim the Celtics are not really that good defensively.  If the Lakers could score on the Spurs I don't see why people don't think the same cannot be done to the Celtics.  The Spurs play much better defense as a team and individually.

The one thing I am dreding is seeing Ronnie Turiaf on Kevin Garnett....man is that going to be brutal.

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 01:47:41 PM »
From an offensive standpoint, if Odom is on his game he will eat Pierce alive, if Garnett leaves Gasol to help on Odom, Gasol will have a huge series, I still say he is one of the best trailing big men in the NBA and they collapse on Odom, Pau will make them pay. I just don't see a defensive combo that can stop Gasol/Odom, assuming Odom is on his game. Radmanovich has been hitting his outside shot early and if this continues what does Garnett do then? He CANNOT leave the paint and Rad can shoot over anyone, including Pierce. NOBODY in Boston can guard Kobe, Allen is a joke of a defender and Rondo has not the speed. LA's passing is superior and IMO they need to play a true inside out game to give Odom room to operate, even if it does give Garnett more rebounding opportunities. LA's bench is slam dunk a better, faster, more athletic squad and Sasha will bomb away till he finds his stroke and forces Boston to respect him dooming them to give up post defense.

Defensively LA will have trouble with Garnett but not IMO Pierce, he has been hot an cold and Allen has been the height of inconsistant, and Sasha can guard him and bother his shot, but when LA's second unit faces Boston's, that is where we can shut them down, too much speed and too much energy.

Overall, for such a young team, LA has an awful lot of weapons on both ends of the floor. This is nowhere CLOSE to the teamBoston beat twice earlier in the season. They have speed all over Boston, and they were tested by MUCH tougher teams in the post season and it never looked like any of those series were in doubt, even for a game, which takes us to what everyone is agreeing on, coaching. Boston has not HALF the coaching skill Jackson and company bring to the series and this puts LA over the top. LA takes one of the first two in Boston and this series could be over in five.

Dan

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 01:57:19 PM »
Will any of you Laker posters from afar away or nearby be attending the Staples Temple for any of the services?  Productions 3 4 5 to be at Staples.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 02:00:44 PM »
Will any of you Laker posters from afar away or nearby be attending the Staples Temple for any of the services?  Productions 3 4 5 to be at Staples.

Been looking for tickets and nose bleeds are going for like 380-450 bucks!!  I was really planning on going until the Celtics won and I knew the tickets would go through the roof.  Think about it, if you get two tickets, park, eat, and drink...thats more then a thousand bucks.  Rather watch it at the bar / at home and take that 1,000 to put away for a vacation.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 02:07:56 PM »
Isn't spending $1000 on a vacation rather then attending a live finals game putting frivolous things above Lakerdom?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 02:49:26 PM »
Isn't spending $1000 on a vacation rather then attending a live finals game putting frivolous things above Lakerdom?

Only for bandwagoneers.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 03:09:02 PM »

Only for bandwagoneers.

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 11:11:59 AM »

I'll be at game 3, although it's tempting to be a seller in this market  :o