Author Topic: Pistons fire Saunders  (Read 6905 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pistons fire Saunders
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2008, 04:40:08 PM »
Name a GM that has NEVER made a bad pick.

There are a bunch who have never made a bad pick WITH THE SECOND PICK IN THE DRAFT.

And there are a bunch who have made bad picks with the FIRST pick in the draft.  One bad draft pick shouldn't take away from a GM's legacy any more than one bad fadeaway jumper in the NBA finals should take away from a certain PF's legacy.    ;)
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2008, 04:42:25 PM »
The Darco pic was made in Summer 2003.

If you want to compare the Spurs draft pics from 2004 onward to Dumars, go for it.

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2008, 04:49:48 PM »
Who picked Darko Milicic over Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh, Dwyane Wade, Chris Kaman, T.J. Ford, David West, Boris Diaw, Travis Outlaw, Leandro Barbosa, and Josh Howard?
I'm starting to fear it's the ladder.  

It's "latter" not "ladder", the only "ladder" he utilizes is the one to climb out of his hole to bait WOW and Koast.

Sorry MSC, sometime I just can't help myself.
Dan

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2008, 04:50:15 PM »
The great Spurs Front Office picks 2004-present

Year Rd Overall name
2007 1st #28 Tiago Splitter  
2007 NBA 2 #33 Marcus Williams
2007 NBA 2 #58 Giorgos Printezis  
2006 NBA 2 #59 Damir Markota  
2005 NBA 1 28 Ian Mahinmi  
2004 NBA 1 28 Beno Udrih

Yeah I've been W.o.W. style "owned".  :D

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2008, 04:53:18 PM »
Why shouldn't it? It did in fact, and there's really nothing anyone can do about it.

If Joe Dumars had picked Carmelo (well maybe not Melo), Bosh, or Wade, he would almost certainly have more than one ring as a GM. But he has only one, and thus, his legacy is less than what it might have been. Hell, he may have won another title with even Kaman, Ford, West, Outlaw, Barbosa, or Howard.

Nobody cares if you blow a low pick. People may have even forgot that the Raptors blew a lottery pick on Rafa Araujo. But you blow a 1 or a 2, and it costs you big. People should remember it, and it DID lessen Dumars' legacy, whether it SHOULD or not.

By the way, it should. It's a No. 2 pick in the most loaded draft of the decade. DUH! ::)
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2008, 04:54:11 PM »

If you want to compare the Spurs draft pics from 2004 onward to Dumars, go for it.

Translation: Guys, please use only the data that might support my position when formulating yours.  ::)

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2008, 04:58:56 PM »
The great Spurs Front Office picks 2004-present

Year Rd Overall name
2007 1st #28 Tiago Splitter  
2007 NBA 2 #33 Marcus Williams
2007 NBA 2 #58 Giorgos Printezis  
2006 NBA 2 #59 Damir Markota  
2005 NBA 1 28 Ian Mahinmi  
2004 NBA 1 28 Beno Udrih

Yeah I've been W.o.W. style "owned".  :D

You're bring out the following picks (28, 28, 28, 33, 58, 59) to support your assertion that Dumars was better even though he blew a #2 pick. Just what the H were Buford and Popazit supposed to do with those picks?!? Tony Parker's don't come around at the end of the 1st round too often there Reality. When he did, they took him.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2008, 05:11:11 PM »

Translation: Guys, please use only the data that might support my position when formulating yours.  ::)
Read it to yourself. ;)

No doubt Dumars blew the #2 and no doubt that is far worse then #28s.  complete agreement.
However, since then he has far outdone Buford and the Spurs and look at where he has picked from.  All of these are playing at least some small or large part.  The Spurs picks are all gonzo for gonzo in return.  Only one with even potential is Ian Manhimi.   

2007 #15 Rodney Stuckey 
2007  #27 Arron Afflalo 
2006 NBA 2rd #60 Will Blalock Iowa State University okay he was a wash.
2005 NBA 1 #26 Jason Maxiell 
2005 NBA 2 #56 Amir Johnson 

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2008, 05:52:24 PM »
Name a GM that has NEVER made a bad pick.

There are a bunch who have never made a bad pick WITH THE SECOND PICK IN THE DRAFT.

Too bad there are twice as many who have blown it with the FIRST pick.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2008, 07:59:14 PM »

Read it to yourself. ;)

No doubt Dumars blew the #2 and no doubt that is far worse then #28s.  complete agreement.
However, since then he has far outdone Buford and the Spurs and look at where he has picked from.  All of these are playing at least some small or large part.  The Spurs picks are all gonzo for gonzo in return.  Only one with even potential is Ian Manhimi.   

2007 #15 Rodney Stuckey 
2007  #27 Arron Afflalo 

Have you taken into consideration salary cap, roster space (only 15 total) and team needs?

Or are you just looking at box scores again?
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2008, 08:00:21 PM »
2007 #15 Rodney Stuckey 
2007  #27 Arron Afflalo 
Ted,
Maybe all these good picks are not cancelled out by the blown #2 overall Darko.
But either way the Spurs FO has sucked bad with their drafts the last 5 years.  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2008, 08:02:41 PM »

Read it to yourself. ;)

2007 #15 Rodney Stuckey 
2007  #27 Arron Afflalo 

Have you taken into consideration salary cap, roster space (only 15 total) and team needs?

Or are you just looking at box scores again?
I'm taking into consideration even the price you paid for Benos undies.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2008, 08:03:32 PM »
Now that I think of it if Dumars didn't blow the pick in 2003 Flip *MIGHT* still have his job.  They really have not added key players to their roster since that first championship.  Ted is dead on.  Blowing a top pick happens to a lot of people even a guy who always wins, Michael Jordan.  The thing is what draft he blew it in.  Like he said it was one of the most loaded drafts this entire decade.  He literally picked the worst player out of the 10 players that have gone on to be quality contributors for their squads.   A person throwing a dart blind folded at pictures of all the players in the draft that year would have done a better job!  Dumars is a good GM but to call him great is going to require that he re-build up another Piston team.  This one looks like it is on its way out unless they make moves this off-season.

Now compare what Buford added to his squad after the 1st and 2nd championships.  He has pretty much built two separate teams on route to hanging 4 banners in the rafters.  Who in the world would want to switch Joe Dumars for him?

You know what is a stroke of genius?  Acting as if drafting players is the only thing that makes a good GM on top of the fact that teams that do very well, like the Spurs, never get high draft picks.  Maybe someone needs to stop taking so much RIDDLE-In before they go mad and batman shows up to smack them down.

http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2008, 11:13:58 AM »

Sorry MSC, sometime I just can't help myself.

D'oh, I knew that!