Author Topic: NBA announces Barry was fouled  (Read 4102 times)

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: NBA announces Barry was fouled
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 11:26:57 AM »
Both calls were obvious in real time.  Two huge missed calls.   Odom's block on Parker was tough to see in real time, but replay confirmed he blocked the ball before it touched the glass; i.e., not goaltending.  Can we review that one too while we're at it? 

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 11:29:06 AM »
This IMO actually is worse than no acknowledgement.  Now the league is basically saying, "Joey screwed you.  Too bad."

The league replays the final minutes of a regular season game between Atlanta & Miami when there was an error.  But in a playoff game of much higher consequence all they can do is say "too bad...we were wrong".

Why is it just Joey?  The other two officials did not make the call either.  I agree the statement was worded wrong.  I think it was the right idea to admit a mistake.  The problem is the wording.  Instead of outright saying that they missed the call it was "after viewing the replay it appears like it was a foul".

So Lurker should the league go back and re-run the play with Fisher as well?  Because if everyone is dead set that Barry hits both FTs to send it into overtime and the Spurs would win then I am pretty dead set on the fact Kobe hits 2 and ices any chance of the Spurs tieing the game as the Lakers would have been up 4.

Why just Joey...because it happened right in front of his face and the other officials will tell you it was his call to make.  The official under the basket should have been watching the players in the lane. Very seldom will you see an official make a call from across court when the official standing within 5-10 feet doesn't.

The difference IMO is that the "airball" was a very difficult call to make in real time.  Without the benefit of replay no one thought that was a horrible call.  In fact only after the obvious no call at the end did Laker fans start jumping on that missed call.  However, Fisher landing on Barry was such an obvious call that it has to be questioned why the official standing right there did not make the call.  Especially an official with an history against the Spurs.  So much for the homecourt theory...

The entire Lakers benched jumped off their rear ends to complain about the call as they were pretty close.  So I think your assumption that no one thought it was a bad call is a bit off.  From the TV angle it was hard without aid of tivo/replay to see but to the people on the court apparently it was not.

Of course the Laker bench would argue that it did.   Duh!

You didn't hear the announcers say that but then they weren't as close I guess.  You didn't see any articles that said this happened...they all said "upon looking at the replay" this happened.  No one had to look at a replay to think Barry was fouled.  That is the difference.

And they were right.  According to Kurt Rambis the reason they knew right away was the fact that the ball changed directions.  Just because people at home can't make the call doesn't give the bad call a pass Lurker.  You want to complain about Barry's non-call, that's fine.  Just try not to dance around the fact they blew an equally as important call on the other end.  Two foul shots by Kobe ice the game.

The announcers didn't say anything but I seen articles about it.  JJ Adande had it in the daily dime.  Dan Patrick mentioned it on the show yesterday.  They did not mention if they saw it on replay or in real time so I cannot say one way or another.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 11:53:19 AM »
Has anyone seen the Kobme 5 step travel at 22-16 seconds?  Nobody here DVDs or Tivos?
Not expecting any Lakers to admit it the way you try equating the Swisher rim graze to the Barry foul.

Repeat, Bob Horry easily has rebound until Gasol mugs him.  Shut yer pieholes about that rim grazer.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008, 11:56:39 AM »
Has anyone seen the Kobme 5 step travel at 22-16 seconds?  Nobody here DVDs or Tivos?
Not expecting any Lakers to admit it the way you try equating the Swisher rim graze to the Barry foul.

Repeat, Bob Horry easily has rebound until Gasol mugs him.  Shut yer pieholes about that rim grazer.

Do you really want to visit a freakin traveling call Fantasy?  Do you EVER watch basketball games.  Seriously.  When's the last time you watched a basketball game from start to finish and did not see a traveling call.  I don't think I even need to go into depth about Tim Duncan catching a pass at the 3 point line and dunking without taking a dribble.  Better yet the fact you are a huge GNob fan kind of makes any point you want to make void.

Fisher's shot grazing the rim is equal to Barry in terms of the game Fantasy.  If the Lakers have a fresh 24 it causes the Spurs to foul Kobe.  If you believe Barry automatically makes 2 to send it into overtime then one would have to believe Kobe automatically makes 2 and the game is out of reach, foul on Barry or not.  It would have been a 4 point lead at that point with not enough time to get a shot off, foul, and get the ball back down the court.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2008, 11:59:32 AM »

Did anybody see the Tim Duncan highlight 10 step travel for a dunk?  So obvious you could "call it with braille".
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2008, 12:18:53 PM »
predictable skirts from the twosome.
YAWN.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2008, 12:28:31 PM »
predictable skirts from the twosome.
YAWN.

That's funny Fantasy.

I specifically called you out, twice, about the fact that when Bowen fouled Lebron James in Game 3 of last years finals during a last second shot that you did not say anything about the play.  You completely ran away from that one and pretended you didn't see it.  Even though I said it once, Spursx3 quoted me a second time, and then I quoted myself.

Again...you don't want to address Duncan's travel or Bowen's last second foul on Lebron but you want to try to pain others are skirting away?  Nah little buddy.  We don't let you get away with it.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2008, 12:29:24 PM »
I was hoping you'd post a video of it.
Little buddy.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2008, 12:31:03 PM »
Little buddy.

No video of Kobe posted so I guess it did NOT happen.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2008, 12:38:04 PM »

Did anybody see the Tim Duncan highlight 10 step travel for a dunk?  So obvious you could "call it with braille".

Man, I miss Chick every day!  I wish he could have seen this team play.  

Reality, shut your own pie hole.  The refs kept the Spurs in that game and just about the only call they didn't get was the last one.  Boo hoo.   Put on your Kobe underoos and rewatch the DVR.   It's blatent.  Crawford was cognizent of the fact all eyes were on him and he was afraid to blow the whistle on the Spurs.  The refs completely slowed down the Lakers momentum at the end of the first with a bunch of ticky tack, bs calls that sent the Spurs on a free throw parade.  Ship me 14 crates of Laker winnin' juice, I'm going to bail on work, dawn my Krishna robe and start boozin' for tonight's game.  It's winnin' time!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2008, 12:40:56 PM »

Man, I miss Chick every day!  I wish he could have seen this team play.  

Reality, shut your own pie hole.  The refs kept the Spurs in that game and just about the only call they didn't get was the last one.  Boo hoo.   Put on your Kobe underoos and rewatch the DVR.   It's blatent.  Crawford was cognizent of the fact all eyes were on him and he was afraid to blow the whistle on the Spurs.  The refs completely slowed down the Lakers momentum at the end of the first with a bunch of ticky tack, bs calls that sent the Spurs on a free throw parade.  Ship me 14 crates of Laker winnin' juice, I'm going to bail on work, dawn my Krishna robe and start boozin' for tonight's game.  It's winnin' time!

Chick also would have called Kobe an idiot for not dribbling out longer!  It's the both ways that make you love Chick.  The problem is very few sportscasters have the respect from the organization they work for to be able to call it like that.  Stu Lantz could get away with it but he's too homer.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2008, 01:06:03 PM »
Little buddy.

LOL..typical cop out.  Just down right pathetic.  Same situation with Bowen/Bron yet you wan't to completely ignore it.  ESPN's JJ Adande brought it up as well. 

This ranks up there with you saying you'd post video of plays then when I called you out to do it 3 times you had to skirt away.

OWNED.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2008, 06:00:00 PM »
Just another example of incompetent officials.

AND PLEASE, don't bring any other calls or non calls into this, because my point is outside of the outcome of the game.

This was so obviously a foul, that for it not to be called and not to be corrected as the officials evaluated the last play of the game, indicates that all three officials should not be permitted to officiate any additional games this season.

On ESPN last night, one of the announcers was trying to justify the non-call.  Suggesting that you don't make the same call at the end of the game as you do in the middle.  Just too stupid to believe! Now that the NBA admitted the mistake, they hung that asswipe out to dry!

The question is, what is the league going to do about this?  Admittedly there is subjectivity involved and no two refs see things the same way, but IMO Joey Crawford and Ken Mauer, are the worst.  Huge ego's and the ability to tune out any protest, no matter how valid.

You cannot have the outcome of a game determined by a blown call, when the call is so obvious. SO obvious that the surprise was that no call was made.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2008, 05:49:41 AM »
There's a HUGE difference in a missed call where a shot barely grazes the rim and a missed call where an exposed player at the top of the key has a player jump into on a catch-and-fake.  The difference is that EVERYONE WHO FOLLOWS BASKETBALL with a hint of impartiality spots the latter as an egregious error.  There is no one at the end of the game without the aid of replay saying "Fisher might have bumped Barry;"  it's a definite - FISHER BUMPED BARRY.  Without the aid of replay, some folks would say the shot grazed the rim, and others would say it was an airball.

It's the difference between being WRONG and being INCOMPETENT.

The question isn't whether the call would have decided the game.  The question is, "WHY WAS THE OBVIOUS CALL NOT MADE AT A CRITICAL JUNCTURE OF THE GAME?"

I have to believe that if Baron Davis or Gilbert Arenas is out there, that would have been a foul.  And that's why I get the most disgusted.

This is now two years in a row where the playoffs have MAJOR controversies due to officiating and rules violations.

My thought follows the line of thinking of one of my favorite quotes:

"I believe in coincidences.  Coincidences happen every single day.  But I don't TRUST coincidences."
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2008, 11:36:23 AM »
 The refs kept the Spurs in that game and just about the only call they didn't get was the last one.  

So this was one of those 0.1% games where the poor old Lakers got robbed on just about every call but the last one.  But because they are soo good, they still won?

I'm also objective and intelligent enough to realize that there are bad calls both ways in every single game and 99.9% of the time it balances out.  My point was and still is that last night it more than balanced out. 

What Joe said.  Since he is for neither Spurs nor Lakers.