Author Topic: Just a random thought about the Spurs/Popavich when it comes to Phil Jackson  (Read 2245 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Are the Spurs and specifically Greg Popavich the only person/team that Phil doesn't try to take media shots at or play mind games with?  I can't think of a single time where Jackson has made a sarcastic or negative remark towards Popavich.  He certainly didn't take any shots at the Spurs the entire series.   Has anyone else noticed that or is it just me?

IMO it's because Phil Jackson knows hes a great coach and a real class act.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
Would the asterisk comment count?  Seems like it would. 
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
Now that I think of it, Phil was never anything but positive towards Flip during his T-Wolves days.  It seemed largely based on shared experience in the CBA.
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Why drop a bunch of "cow bell" conventional bombs when you have already dropped an "asterisk" nuke on the Spurs.

PJ has said plenty in regards to the Spurs, so much so that Pop starting firing back.  I remember when the Lakers got Malone and Payton, Pop said anything short of 70 wins would be a disappointment.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Yeah, I thought of the * comment as well, jn.  

Even though Phil just vocalized what many of us were already thinking it still was meant as a jab at them.  

But since then, wk, I think you're right about Phil re: the Spurs.  I think in general it's hard not to like and respect the Spurs.  They are a classy organization with a good group of guys and a great coach.   What's not to like?  It makes it hard to take shots at them unlike teams like the Suns, Kings, Blazers of yesteryear, Jazz, Dallas, etc. that give us so many reasons to dislike them ;)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Would the asterisk comment count?  Seems like it would. 

Damnit I forgot about that one!  This is what we call 'first post K-O'

When Pop makes comments towards anyone, including his players, I don't take it as 'taking shots' as much as him just speaking the truth.  Saying the Lakers should win 70 games with Kobe, Gary, Karl, and Shaq is not a shot.  It was the truth!  They were on their way to do it until injuries slowed them down.  I think if the Boston Celtics didn't win 65+ games this year it would have been a disapointment as well.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
I was going to post something from the paper the other day but it was written by "lazy" sportswrites.  PJ gave Pop a lot of credit for growing over the years.  I'll see if I can find the comments.

As far as barbs, in 2003 or 2004 PJ called out Pop and his staff for not having any NBA experience.  That is the only other time besides the asterisk that I can think of.

BTW PJ whining about the refs between quarters was priceless.  Although it should have been worth around $250,000 for criticizing the refs.

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
I was going to post something from the paper the other day but it was written by "lazy" sportswrites.  PJ gave Pop a lot of credit for growing over the years.  I'll see if I can find the comments.

As far as barbs, in 2003 or 2004 PJ called out Pop and his staff for not having any NBA experience.  That is the only other time besides the asterisk that I can think of.

BTW PJ whining about the refs between quarters was priceless.  Although it should have been worth around $250,000 for criticizing the refs.

Upset today are we Lurker?  I guess I shouldn't call basketball sports writers lazy because they rather write a fluff piece about PJ and Pop playing nice with each other then really breaking down things about the game.    Its either that or...give me props for thinking up mind blowing ideas for topics for us to talk about on a message board that are along those same lines.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Maybe Phil Jackson is just getting old and turning soft?  There has been little barking at Popavich and the Spurs in general the entire series.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Maybe Phil Jackson is just getting old and turning soft?  There has been little barking at Popavich and the Spurs in general the entire series.

I think that has a lot to do with the series being called really well.  When the game 4 1st quarter fiasco got going PJ didn't waste any time taking a shot at the refs.  The Spurs have been playing excellent basketball, not much to complain about.  IMO nobody would be shocked if the series was 3-1 in favor of the Spurs, it has been that close.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email

Upset today are we Lurker?  I guess I shouldn't call basketball sports writers lazy because they rather write a fluff piece about PJ and Pop playing nice with each other then really breaking down things about the game.    Its either that or...give me props for thinking up mind blowing ideas for topics for us to talk about on a message board that are along those same lines.

Again you are reading with skills that would make Randy proud.  If those sportwriters have already written an article about the game and then write a SECOND article how is that lazy?
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email

Again you are reading with skills that would make Randy proud.  If those sportwriters have already written an article about the game and then write a SECOND article how is that lazy?

And your logic would make Reality proud Lurker.  How does one set of writers in SA equal all the sports writers in the national media?  I applaud your 4 local sports writers for writing not 1 but 2 articles.  However...  You complain about the Spurs not getting the attention they deserve from sports writers yet somehow don't want me to take shots at them for taking the easy stories?  Like I said in the other thread, if the national media was not lazy they would break down games and give the Spurs the props they deserve.  Instead of taking the lazy route and kissing Kobe's butt for the 109283918923 million time, using so many cliche Kobe phrases (hes an assasin)@#($),  and making a Michael Jordan comparision why couldn't they give props to the Spurs defense and how they wanted to handle Kobe?  It's not about volume Lurker...its about quality.  Just because Stephen A Smith talks about the Lakers in 3 different spots doesn't mean he didn't go the easy route by choosing to talk about Kobe as oppose to talking about the Spurs defense.

You can't complain about not getting media coverage from writers then turn around and say they are not lazy.  Which one is it?  Are they lazy for only going after the easy big market stories and snubbing the Spurs?  Or are they quality writers who only cover what is important (Kobe's offensive explosion in the 2nd half vs quality team defense in the 1st) ?

As everyone knows I am the biggest Kobe fan on the board but to me writing articles that center around him is lazy.  Just about anyone can do it at this point in time....I'll give you an outline.

Mention about how cold blooded he is by using any number of cliches "hes an assasin" "he's a stone cold killer" "he'll rip your heart out".

Talk about how he is the MVP and cannot be guarded.

Try to not make it look like you are brown nosing too bad by reminding readers that his personality comes into question for one sentence.

Go back to talk about how he is the MVP and cannot be guarded.

Mention that he is the man in the 4th quarter.

Insert Jordan comparision.

Finish it up with saying he is the mvp, cannot be guarded, and insert a cliche about how cold blooded he is.....like Michael Jordan.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 04:44:23 PM by westkoast »

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Maybe because I distinguish between national writers and local writers.  something you seem to be having a problem with.  I said that national writers snub the Spurs.  But you are calling local writers lazy because they write a second article you consider "fluff".  Did you ever read any of his basketball articles?  How can you call someone you never read lazy?
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Maybe because I distinguish between national writers and local writers.  something you seem to be having a problem with.  I said that national writers snub the Spurs.  But you are calling local writers lazy because they write a second article you consider "fluff".  Did you ever read any of his basketball articles?  How can you call someone you never read lazy?

Reality...how many times did I give your guys props?  How many times did I say that your local writers are not who I am specifically talking about?  I think the count is at 4 seperate posts.  A few times in this thread and a few times in the original thread this stemmed from.   Not all "local" writers are good either.  So again with your logic.  Just because your local sports writers are good doesn't mean all sports writers are good, national or local.  The OC Register has 'local' writers who cover the Lakers and they stink.  From my trips to Dallas and reading papers there I think their sports writers go through the motions. 

And yes I believe that writing an article about Phil and Popavich is fluff to fill up words on a paper.  I came up with pretty much the same idea in 15 seconds and made it a thread.  Had I spent 20-30 minutes thinking about it I could have wrote a page worth of bs about it as well.  Hearing about Popavich's adjustments to highlight how great of a coach he is would have been more up my alley.  If you like that stuff, that's great.  No knock to you.  That doesn't change the fact I think it's going after an easier story. 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 05:17:36 PM by westkoast »