Author Topic: Weenie power! Forgot about PJ's comments towards Pau "Weenie" Gasol!  (Read 824 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Will Jackson's tactics power 'weenie' Gasol?

Lakers coach wants 7-footer to be more aggressive with shots in Game 4
By Kevin Ding
The Orange County Register
updated 10:01 a.m. PT, Tues., May. 27, 2008

This much the Lakers have figured out about themselves: They go as their offense goes.

"I've complained about it with this basketball club," Coach Phil Jackson said Monday. "If their offense doesn't go well, it affects their defense and their overall play."

Kobe Bryant said the Lakers reserves haven't brought the proper energy to road games except in the clinching Game 6 in Utah, but that's no surprise given the youth on that second unit.

More to the point ? or lack of points ? entering Game 4 of the Western Conference finals Tuesday night are the shooting struggles of starters Derek Fisher, Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom.

The Spurs aren't leaving Fisher alone on the perimeter to help on Bryant's drives, so meeting Jackson's goal of doubling the four shots Fisher got in Game 3 falls somewhat on Gasol and Odom drawing double teams.

The Lakers think they have a grip on how to activate Odom, who flows better when he has something go right for him early in a game. Odom had a potent Game 2, for example, after Jackson's first play was a clear-out for Odom to score on Fabricio Oberto.

"Sometimes he can be his own worst enemy," Bryant said of Odom. "Sometimes he has to get out of the way of himself. Just go out there and let your game come. If you've got a shot, shoot it. Just relax. I think he's a little anxious because he wanted to do so well, and it kind of backfired."

Which brings us to Gasol, about whom the Lakers are still learning. It's not four months since the trade, and Gasol is without question a skilled 7-footer ? yet there have been some indications why Gasol was 0-12 in the playoffs with Memphis.

This is what Reggie Evans said after a November 2004 game in which he tussled with Gasol: "I don't know what's wrong with that girl."

Jackson on Sunday night again railed on Gasol about not stepping into shots with tenacity or sureness. And just as he did after Gasol's light Game 2 effort ? when Jackson said Gasol was "weenie-ing it up there instead of shooting the ball like he meant it" ? Jackson went public Monday with his concerns.

Asked about his behind-the-scenes commentary Sunday night, Jackson acknowledged: "It had a 'weenie' kind of atmosphere in it."

Never fearful of applying public pressure to his players, Jackson is using this postseason to play Whac-a-Mole in pushing Gasol's buttons. It is certainly not the first time Jackson has urged Gasol to be more purposeful instead of distracted by contact or referees.

"Make sure you're aggressive and intense the whole time," Gasol said about what he has been hearing and thinking. "Don't give any easy rebounds or give up on any easy offensive rebounds. Just put a body on him (Tim Duncan). Make him work. Wear him down a little bit."

Gasol entered Game 3 against the Spurs averaging 19.1 points on 56.1 percent shooting, 8.3 rebounds and 4.3 assists in the postseason. In Game 3, he had 15 points on 38.9 percent shooting, five rebounds and one assist. In the Lakers' poor second quarter, Gasol didn't have a point, rebound or assist.

"A little bit indecisive," Gasol said of his play. "Not aggressive enough at the time of finishing. I didn't finish strong enough. I was just kind of floating a few shots, and they weren't going in. With my length and my athletic ability, I can finish those easy passes that I got."

A victory in Game 4 would not finish the Spurs but would be close. The Lakers would lead, 3-1, with two games at Staples Center in hand en route to the NBA Finals.

Gasol was asked about the power of that potential position. He considered it and said: "It's a thought you would like to keep in mind. It's a thought that would give you a lot of motivation to be able to push through anything."
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Buck Harvey played with this (PJ's "weenie" quote) in the local paper today.  He was calling the Lakers front line weenie, space cadet & NSP.  Gasol is weenie.  Radman is space cadet.  And Odom is NSP...Not Scottie Pippen.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Radman is space cadet.

Radman is more like one of the cadets from the movie Police Academy.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Buck Harvey played with this (PJ's "weenie" quote) in the local paper today.  He was calling the Lakers front line weenie, space cadet & NSP.  Gasol is weenie.  Radman is space cadet.  And Odom is NSP...Not Scottie Pippen.
HAHAHA!!

To be fair to Pau Gasol (and I agree he tried to do cutesy bs type shots that deserved to not fall) he is playing the best person at his position of all time.  I think Tim Duncan makes a lot of players look like 'weenies'
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com