Author Topic: Spurs home cooking takes game 3  (Read 1386 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Spurs home cooking takes game 3
« on: May 25, 2008, 11:02:58 PM »
Whatever the Spurs get to eat at home that they don't get on the road should be patented.  They out hustled, out executed and out thought the Lakers after the 1st quarter.  The Spurs just flat out played the Lakers after the 1st quarter.  Manu came back pretty strong, the Spurs court must be softer cause his ankle did not seem to bother him tonight.  The Spurs defense kept most of the Lakers off balance all game long and the Lakers defense look soft.  The Lakers were reaching on the inside and slow to close out on the shooters behind the arc, both of which caused 3 point plays.

The Lakers had a shot to end the series tonight and did not come out as focused and intense as they should have.  They actually started out ok but could not sustain their play and the Spurs just seemed to get stronger as the game went on.

Nice win, I was hoping but not expecting anything different.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Spurs home cooking takes game 3
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 12:30:09 PM »
The Spurs are wayyy too good to lose such a big game, on their home floor.  Just not going to happen.  Anyone who thought they would probably was praying to the basketball gods while saying it.  I told everyone before the game it would take a miracle for the Lakers to beat the Spurs tonight and I was right.  The Spurs take care of business and this def was a must win.  Props to the Spurs and their fans for getting the Lakers back for the previous butt kicking.

Huge difference when you can start to hit shots and the crowd can get into it. As you can tell by Manu last night.  After he hit those back to back 3s I think the pain in the ankle got replaced with a bunch of adrenaline.  That's my only explanation.  I said that I thought the ankle was really bothering him in those first two games but I actually think he just all around sucked in those games now.  He was moving very well last night and when he is able to hit the 3 and get into the paint its a nightmare.  There was no additional rest and no extra taping they could have done.  So I think I was mistaken and he just sucked in those games.  The Lakers actually didn't do a horrible job on him defensively either.  That one in your face 3 he nailed was huge.  You just kind of need to tip your head and say 'nice shot' in that case.  Props to him but he needs 3 more games like the one last night or else they are still in big trouble.

The Lakers had the 'mo at the begining but their lack of solid defense didn't help them when they were missing easy shots.  Once the lead got stretched out and they didn't have a crowd to feed off of it was doom for them.  It's one thing to overcome a lead when 20k people pump you on every good play.  It's not another when every bad play you do gets 20k cheers for you to screw up again.  One weakness with the Lakers (and at times a strength) is that their defense tends to come and go as their offense does. As oppose to the Spurs who could go 0-30 and still play solid defense.  The Lakers on the other hand need to hit shots to get pumped up for D.  This works great if they are on fire because it really puts the pressure on the other squad.  However when they start to miss shots their defense gets lazy....then of course they get pounded by guys like Parker, Duncan, Gnob, and BRENT BARRY!)#(@

Where is Reality...FINALLY after 3 years of hyping Brent Barry he did something worth mentioning last night!!

« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 12:34:09 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 04:13:29 PM »
I said that I thought the ankle was really bothering him in those first two games but I actually think he just all around sucked in those games now.

With WayOutWest, he truly gets a kick out of slamming the dramatic "Manuella", and snickering as we take the bait.  With Lurker, LFD, etc, its more the enjoyment they get out of barbing Reality about his "hero".  With Randy, I honestly don't know if he's jokingly trying to be haughty or plain doesn't have the aptitude required to understand what Manu brings to the table.  I don't quite get it with you, though, it more reeks of either ignorance or just the old-fashioned being a "Hater".  Take this ridiculous comment you made above.  Manu's ankle isn't bothering him, he just sucks.

==================================================================================
Ginobili turns frustration into fuel
By Johnny Ludden, Yahoo! Sports

SAN ANTONIO ? Sasha Vujacic had done everything possible short of taking a tire iron to Manu Ginobili?s knee. He had bounced off screens, crowded him, pushed him right and ? nothing. Ginobili had already thrown in four three-pointers and now he was stepping back for another.

Vujacic stepped, too, thrusting his arms between Ginobili?s, forcing the wiry guard to fade ? fade ? fade. Just as it looked like Ginobili?s back could bend no more, he launched a moonball toward the rim.

Vujacic turned to see the shot drop through the net. Shoulders slumped, he looked toward the roof of the AT&T Center, questioning, perhaps, just what he had done to deserve this torture. Kobe Bryant grinned. He knew. The Los Angeles Lakers had helped create this monster.

?Manu?s pissed,? one San Antonio Spurs coach said early Sunday evening before Ginobili had taken even his first step onto the court. ?That could be good for us.?

The Spurs have long fed off Ginobili?s fire, and he burned as bright as ever Sunday, scoring 30 points and throwing a charge through his teammates as they rolled to a 103-84 victory over the Lakers. The Spurs only trimmed Los Angeles? lead in the Western Conference finals to 2-1, but with Ginobili playing as he did Sunday? The champs aren?t dead just yet.

Ginobili had simmered through the first two games. His legs were heavy, his left ankle throbbed and he was missing a fingernail on his shooting hand. He had totaled just 17 points in the two losses, but that?s not what bothered him most. He expected more from himself. As the Spurs prepared to leave Los Angeles Friday night, Ginobili stared into the TV cameras and blamed himself for the two losses.

Ginobili?s recovery began, not surprisingly, in a medical office. On Saturday afternoon he stuck his sore ankle in an MRI tube and waited for the results. The Spurs doctors looked at the scan and saw what they expected: The ankle had some swelling and chronic arthritis, but was structurally sound.

The news, team officials said, seemed to relax Ginobili. The arthritis is an issue, and will likely continue to be in this every-other-day series. He jammed his foot in the first game of these playoffs, but the arthritis is believed to have built up since Ginobili tried to play in the finals of the 2002 World Championships after he severely sprained the ankle the previous game. Still, even that should have told Ginobili something.

After all, hadn?t he been through worse?

Ginobili also benefited, like every player does, from a couple of nights in his own bed. But Spurs coach Gregg Popovich worried as much about Ginobili?s mental state as he did his physical makeup. After tough losses, Popovich often talks about ?filling up the cup.? Ginobili?s was clearly empty.

So Popovich gave Ginobili space at Sunday morning?s shootaround. He didn?t ask him how he was feeling because he didn?t want him thinking about it. He also shielded Ginobili from the media so he wouldn?t have to answer questions about either his ankle or his struggles.

?I think he just put all that behind him,? said Fabricio Oberto, Ginobili?s Argentine teammate and closest friend on the Spurs. ?He just played.?

All that frustration? Ginobili turned it into fuel. After he hit his second consecutive three-pointer midway through the first quarter, he screamed and pumped both his fists. Ginobili continued to snarl his way through the game, again making back-to-back three-pointers in the second quarter to give the Spurs the lead for good.

Ginobili would later say he was ?more me,? which should permanently end any Sasha Vujacic comparisons. All season long the Spurs have sensed Ginobili playing with an edge, even an anger, they had not felt in previous years. Now he barks back at opposing players, and after Ronny Turiaf and Derek Fisher decked him with a hard foul in the second half, Ginobili picked himself up and growled.

Popovich has long said he?s never coached a more competitive player, and there?s a reason for that: He hasn?t. In truth, only Bryant?s competitiveness may exceed Ginobili?s among current players, and that?s why the Spurs didn?t celebrate much Sunday. Bryant?s four fourth-quarter three-pointers could be a sign he?s only warming up.

Bryant, too, has long respected Ginobili from afar. He once called him his favorite player to watch. On Sunday, he merely called him ?phenomenal.? The admiration dates to Ginobili?s second season. Then, Bryant came to San Antonio with Shaquille O?Neal, Karl Malone and Gary Payton at his side and found Tim Duncan and Tony Parker sidelined with injuries. Ginobili, totaling 33 points and 12 rebounds, somehow pushed the Spurs into double overtime before they lost.

That?s why neither the Spurs, nor Bryant, were surprised by Ginobili?s performance. Lakers coach Phil Jackson couldn?t even fault Vujacic too much. Ginobili, he said, simply made too many ?impossible shots.?

?He understands what he?s done in games all his life, both in Europe and over here,? Popovich said. ?He?s got a lot of confidence in what he can do.?

Ginobili?s confidence has continued to grow, as well as his standing in the league.

?He?s one of the best players in the world, without a doubt, but he never gets mentioned,? said New York coach Mike D?Antoni, who coached against Ginobili in Italy and lost to him four times in the playoffs in Phoenix. ?He didn?t even make the All-Star team, which is a travesty.

?I think he exemplifies everything you want a player to be: great in the clutch; great at getting after a loose ball; great at defense; great at offense; unselfish; takes a contract for less money to make his team better.

?I don?t think there is one superlative you can say that is too much about him. ? In the world he is unappreciated. Maybe because he is unorthodox, whatever. I don?t know. But I?ll tell you what, you can?t get a better player than him.

?You can debate Kobe or LeBron. Fine. But he is right there in the debate.?

The difference is that Kobe never seems to tire. Popovich long ago moved Ginobili to the bench not only to spark his teammates, but also to save him. That?s why these West finals don?t work in his favor. Ginobili, unlike Kobe, needs his rest.

Spending another night at home with family and friends will help. And if Ginobili?s cup fills again?

On Tuesday, the Spurs have a chance to make this a series.
=====================================================================================

...so yeah, Manu's ankle wasn't a problem at all, that's why they felt the need for an MRI.  So take slice of the class that Kobe exudes ( 8)) and don't be a hater, westkoast. 
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 05:03:03 PM »
You can say anything you want but let me list some reasons why I think he just disappeared from those games and his ankle wasn't the main reason:

1)  He said his ankle wasn't the reason himself

2)  He had the same amount of rest between game 2 and game 3 as he did between game 1 and 2.  His ankle did not look to be bothering him last night.  He was doing his rocker move, making quick first steps, and just all around able to play more fluid then he did in LA for TWO games.

3)  He has vanished from playoff games in the past 3 seasons.  Not just one game but for 2-3 in a number of series.  He played poorly in the first two games in NO when they went down 0-2 as well.

4)  Making baskets always helps a player "snap out of it" and it is a lot easier to hit shots on your home floor

None of which I just mentioned is "hating" "lying" or "reeking of ignorance"  just straight facts.  If he didn't move so well last night the entire game I would have stuck with what I originally thought.  However he moved very well last night.  Like his ankle wasn't that big of an issue.  Swollen ankle?  WHOA!  Not something you ever seen in the NBA come playoff time Skandery.   Chronic Arthritis I can see being an issue but that is something that will always be there.  Its not like that only pops up on the road right?  Chronic meaning it's always going to be there.  Not chronic meaning only outside of San Antonio.

Haters tend to make things up that are not there just to pull someone down.  I did not do that.   We all know what Manu brings to the table.  Everyone.  Randy, myself, you, Lurker, EVERYONE.   The problem here is he doesn't always come to eat.  So when I see him disappear in LA for two games then come out in a 3 game and play like a champ, of course I will look back to the last few playoffs and say 'you know what maybe he was right about himself and the ankle isn't the issue"

I'd love to hear you counter what I've just said Skandery.   Sorry I can't sit and praise him like no other after 1 game when the major reason his squad is still down 2-1 is because of his poor play in the previous 2.  He's had one good game out of 3.  In what world does that make you super?  Where were you to swoop in the first two games of the NO series when he played poor as well?  I put him in a similar spot I put Lamar (not that they have similar games) as a player who is just extremely talented but won't crack the top tier.  Everyone knows how important they are, everyone knows they are very talented, they bring a lot to both their teams, their squads can still win playoff games with out them but look the best when they play well, etc...  but the thing that keeps them from being in that top tier is the fact that they are not consistent in the playoffs.  Whether you think I am being a hater or not does not change the fact that he's been MIA from a number of playoff games.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 05:41:52 PM by westkoast »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 12:43:49 AM »
Whether you think I am being a hater or not does not change the fact that he's been MIA from a number of playoff games.

That's why I think this is the series for him to break out of that role player label.  Manu needs to put up that type of performance at Staples.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 12:20:26 AM »
Whether you think I am being a hater or not does not change the fact that he's been MIA from a number of playoff games.

That's why I think this is the series for him to break out of that role player label.  Manu needs to put up that type of performance at Staples.

He did just the opposite.  He solidified what I've been saying.  Pretty hard to label me as a hater now....

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 12:23:59 AM »

He did just the opposite.  He solidified what I've been saying.  Pretty hard to label me as a hater now....

Manu if a fraud.  SubParManu is his new nickname around here. 
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 12:26:16 AM »
Pretty hard to label me as a hater now....

You're a Hater!

;D
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 12:35:51 AM »
Pretty hard to label me as a hater now....

You're a Hater!

;D

Hater != Realist

;)